Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Noob question, how do you guys control your character?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Noob question, how do you guys control your character?

XplaguesX
12.14.2011 , 03:36 PM | #21
Hold W to move, hold right mouse button the turn, use other fingers to hit 1-6 and make keybinds for shift 1-6 as well as z-b
iŻi▀▀▀▀iŻi‾↟⊗δ↟Ż{ ███████████████████████████████████████) CE ordered

jackliuu
12.14.2011 , 03:36 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Yfelsung View Post
Switch strafe to Mouse 4 and Mouse 5

Switch backpeddle to middle mouse (I think it's usually this by default anyway)

Now use QWERTASDFG for your abilities.

This set up kills default MMO bindings. WASD is for shooters.
I think I'll give this a try.

iTempest
12.14.2011 , 03:36 PM | #23
I type /farm ... no wait.

Quote: Originally Posted by XplaguesX View Post
Hold W to move, hold right mouse button the turn, use other fingers to hit 1-6 and make keybinds for shift 1-6 as well as z-b
I actually do much the same as this guy^

Demophilus
12.14.2011 , 03:37 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Garthin View Post
Holding both mouse buttons to run around and turn, left hand on n52.
^ All hail the n52!

KommissarK
12.14.2011 , 03:37 PM | #25
Also, the GCD is long enough to allow clicking of abilities I guess.

OSUNightfall
12.14.2011 , 03:38 PM | #26
If you want lightning fast reactions, move forward by pressing both mouse buttons, and use the mouse to turn. Bind every non-buff ability you have to the left side of the keyboard. It takes 2-3 days to get used to, but if you're like me you'll wonder how you ever played any other way.

If you want to tank, you may need to bind a key or mouse button to backpedal, otherwise ignore it.

If you want to pvp, and be as good as you can be, you'll need to designate two keys for strafing. I use W and R. I rest my pinky on A and the next three on WER. Most used abilities go to the number keys, with less used abilities getting progressively lower. This setup will feel extremely funky at first if you're not used to it, and takes a few days to get the hang of, but it works wonders in the long run. Even if you don't use W and R for strafing, to be all you can be in pvp you WILL need to bind two keys to strafing. Don't worry about backpedaling, you'll never ever use it. Failing to use mouse-turning, strafing, and copious keybinds *will* greatly hamper you in pvp. If you dont' care at all about pvp ignore this section.

Getting used to tab-targeting also adds a lot of speed. Put all these things together, and you can truly play your best once you get over only a few days of awkwardness.

Couac
12.14.2011 , 03:38 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by jackliuu View Post
When I was in beta I saw people were able to move and use the power at same time, how do you guys do that?
Stop using keyboard for moving, it's the worst ever. You won't need a superfancy gaming mouse, just one with a couple of extra buttons where you can bind left and right strafe (mine are on the thumb buttons on left side). I don't even use back pedal anymore, haven't used for years actually, strafing is so much more efficient and faster, too.
(╯°°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PessimiStick
12.14.2011 , 03:38 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by fallenjedi View Post
since this is a target and forget game.....you really don't need the mouse to move the camera as you move. as long as you keep your target in front of you, you can then use your mouse to use your on-screen toolbars to activate your abilities.

tab target
wsad to strafe around, mouse pointer to click on abilities to activate.
rinse, repeat
Don't turn him into a clicker. He obviously has no existing playstyle, so steer him to the correct one, not the inferior one.
PessimiStick // Ippon // Uchimata

Lorgrin
12.14.2011 , 03:38 PM | #29
I use the Razer Nostromo. it has a keypad, and a thumbstick. Right under the thumbstick, is another button I use for jump. I use the number keys on the keypad for my action keys, targeting...and so on.

Then I use the mouse buttons for turning, camera angles, and running. The wheel button I use for the shift key, and to zoom in and out.

Ive used this setup for years, and it works out really well for me.

Garthin
12.14.2011 , 03:39 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Demophilus View Post
^ All hail the n52!
I love it, combine that with a Logitech Gaming Mouse G300 and it's awesome. Only time I have to take my hands off my mouse is to chat in game.