Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Noob question, how do you guys control your character?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Noob question, how do you guys control your character?

jackliuu
12.14.2011 , 03:29 PM | #1
When I was in beta I saw people were able to move and use the power at same time, how do you guys do that?

Because for me, my right hand is on the mouse to control the camera, and the other hand on keyboard pressing 1-10 for ability, but while doing that I cannot press WSAD for movement. So I am pretty much stand in one place while engage the enemy.

But I was able to see people that were jumping all around up and down and while never miss the opportunity to use ability (In combat), how do you guys do that? I assume you can accomplish this by using one of those gaming mouse with 30 programmable buttons, but is this possible with just standard keyboard and mouse set up?

sometimes you can see this guy doing what I am talking about
http://www.twitch.tv/fortyse7en

Avrid
12.14.2011 , 03:30 PM | #2
jedi mind tricks of course

Toat
12.14.2011 , 03:30 PM | #3
my left thumb on the g13 joystick and mouseturning like a pro.

The Zimco Legacy
CE

Acclaimed
12.14.2011 , 03:30 PM | #4
I've got mine set up to use Kinect.

Kines
12.14.2011 , 03:31 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jackliuu View Post
When I was in beta I saw people were able to move and use the power at same time, how do you guys do that?

Because for me, my right hand is on the mouse to control the camera, and the other hand on keyboard pressing 1-10 for ability, but while doing that I cannot press WSAD for movement. So I am pretty much stand in one place while engage the enemy.

But I was able to see people that were jumping all around up and down and while never miss the opportunity to use ability, how do you guys do that? I assume you can accomplish this by using one of those gaming mouse with 30 programmable buttons, but is this possible with just standard keyboard and mouse set up?

sometimes you can see this guy doing what I am talking about
http://www.twitch.tv/fortyse7en
reconfigure your keybindings. Set the movement keys to something else. Alternatively, turn on auto run, steer with the mouse, jump and use abilities at will.
"I have a bad feeling about this . . ."
"Do or do not; there is no try."

Toat
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #6
by the way, jumping in swtor makes you move slower than running, so only do it when you have to avoid terrain, etc.

The Zimco Legacy
CE

Tusktanium
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #7
the Force is strong with this one.

PessimiStick
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #8
Your left hand has 4 fingers and a thumb. You can't use more than two movement keys at the same time (since they cancel in pairs). You do the math.
PessimiStick // Ippon // Uchimata

KommissarK
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #9
Lets see... WASD for movement with abilities hotkeyed to the mouse, our dual clicking/using autorun on the mouse to move and numbers for hotkeys.

Treckie
12.14.2011 , 03:32 PM | #10
Use both mouse buttons to move around, space bar to jump,. You can change your key bindings also to work for you.
Thank you Dev team for your hard work!