Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Failure to engage player through story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Failure to engage player through story

Smoda's Avatar


Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:00 PM | #1
*Reposting this here because it is impossible to have a discussion in general chat at the momemnt*

I just reached level 16 as a Trooper and was given my starship. Zero fanfare or sense of achievement. Just a nonchalant "Hey take this thing". Minutes earlier I sat through line after line of boring voice over for glorified kill quests spread throughout an unnecessarily massive area of lower Coruscant. This all got me thinking about the main feature of this "story" driven MMO.

Is the trooper class quest more boring than the others? Is every class this way? Does a Jedi defeat a Sith Lord only for the quest giver to say "Yea that was cool, go do it again on the next planet". I thought the class stories were supposed to make this game unique and interesting. At this rate the class quests are like every other quest in the game, except they don't end. I would roll another character in a heartbeat if I were told that his mindless dribble doesn't extend to every other class story.

Kresse's Avatar


Kresse
12.14.2011 , 03:03 PM | #2
As much as I hate to admit it, it's very difficult to make every second of a story completely engaging and awesome, but the way you relate, it would seem there's a serious lack of imagination in areas that I'd expect would be fulfilling and game-changing.
Former Fury Warrior; current Sith Marauder
Lord Brojangles - Marauder (42) Shii-Cho, Empire

Smoda's Avatar


Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kresse View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, it's very difficult to make every second of a story completely engaging and awesome, but the way you relate, it would seem there's a serious lack of imagination in areas that I'd expect would be fulfilling and game-changing.
I understand not every moment can be engaging and awesome. But certain moments should be. And by level 16 and all the "events" in the Trooper's story before that point nothing really is. There is one "eh, didn't expect that". Other than that it is typical military fanfare blah blah blah crap. The only relation this class quest has to the star wars universe is their ample use of the word republic in every single line of dialogue.

Zanarchy's Avatar


Zanarchy
12.14.2011 , 03:09 PM | #4
Well the Sith Inquisitor's storyline has you looking for parts of a thing to construct to make it do something that has something to do with you, and in order to get the parts of the thing, you get your ship and you have to travel around to different planets, sure, this is basic, but it's Chapter 1, I suppose different things will happen in different chapters.

Besides, I don't know if you realise this but the Jedi don't like the Sith, so a Jedi killing a high-up Sith would be a perfectly understandable piece of storyline... It's not just jump there, kill him, jump away, you're forgetting the build up to this event which usually involves something more complex e.g. A S.I quest was to get a device in order to weaken the guy that you need to kill, and to get the device, you had to go through a lot of ****.

My vagueness was there fo' a reason, I wanted to avoid the Spoiler things that give things away to people who didn't know them things.

Aloharover's Avatar


Aloharover
12.14.2011 , 03:10 PM | #5
I made it to 16 Sith Warrior during the thanksgiving "beta" and was thoroughly enthralled.
I made it to 14 Smuggler yesterday and feel the same way. I like the story so far, it makes sense, I feel like I am doing something other than "go kill 20 random creatures". Right now I am
Spoiler

Smoda's Avatar


Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Zanarchy View Post
Well the Sith Inquisitor's storyline has you looking for parts of a thing to construct to make it do something that has something to do with you, and in order to get the parts of the thing, you get your ship and you have to travel around to different planets, sure, this is basic, but it's Chapter 1, I suppose different things will happen in different chapters.

Besides, I don't know if you realise this but the Jedi don't like the Sith, so a Jedi killing a high-up Sith would be a perfectly understandable piece of storyline... It's not just jump there, kill him, jump away, you're forgetting the build up to this event which usually involves something more complex e.g. A S.I quest was to get a device in order to weaken the guy that you need to kill, and to get the device, you had to go through a lot of ****.

My vagueness was there fo' a reason, I wanted to avoid the Spoiler things that give things away to people who didn't know them things.

It is a reasonable quest to go on but you are still doing the typical MMO thing the entire time. I don't know what I was expecting but I might have set the bar too high. Our class quests are kill and gather quests like everything else. I don't even know what I would suggest as an alternative, I left that up to the game developers.

atuerstar's Avatar


atuerstar
12.14.2011 , 03:12 PM | #7
Only got a ship for my agent in Beta - but must admit I also expected a big story surrounding such an event and was slightly disappointed. Fully expected I would be bugging a ship that takes off forcing me to hack the droid, kill the pilot and take the ship for the glory of the Empire. Or possibly track and defeat a rogue agent and be given the skip as a hush hush for not telling anyone how our enemy betrayed us.

I got a tiny cutscene with no story at all basically. Yes - it felt like an oversight considering the story surrounding every other little thing I did.

Also confused as to why I was being given a spaceship at 16 yet had to wait unttil 25 and xxxx amount of money for a land vehicle. Surely even in a galaxy far far away interstellar space ships are more expensive than speeder bikes?

Smoda's Avatar


Smoda
12.14.2011 , 03:18 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by atuerstar View Post
Only got a ship for my agent in Beta - but must admit I also expected a big story surrounding such an event and was slightly disappointed. Fully expected I would be bugging a ship that takes off forcing me to hack the droid, kill the pilot and take the ship for the glory of the Empire. Or possibly track and defeat a rogue agent and be given the skip as a hush hush for not telling anyone how our enemy betrayed us.

I got a tiny cutscene with no story at all basically. Yes - it felt like an oversight considering the story surrounding every other little thing I did.

Also confused as to why I was being given a spaceship at 16 yet had to wait unttil 25 and xxxx amount of money for a land vehicle. Surely even in a galaxy far far away interstellar space ships are more expensive than speeder bikes?
Exactly. This happened earlier in the troopers story also on ord mantell. A defining plot point gets a short cutscene only for you to have to run 20 miles back where you came from and turn something in again. How about a little in game cinematic scene? I don't have to control every single second of gameplay. How about the option to transport me back to the quest giver after a major plot point? That would keep me more engaged than having to fight a hundred trash mobs on the way back to continue it.

Rolhir's Avatar


Rolhir
12.14.2011 , 03:21 PM | #9
It might just be the trooper story then, because I've played BH, JC, and Smuggler up to ranging between 10-18, and I love the stories! I'd say the smuggler was my favorite; when that guy does that thing at the beginning, I agreed with my smuggler "Yup, he's SO gonna die! I'm going to hunt him down, kill him, and enjoy every second of it." As for the BH, so far the class quests have been bounties which literally are just go and kill something; HOWEVER, they do NOT feel like "kill x and return to quest giver." They're a real character, not a faceless npc.
I mean, what the heck is the point of eliminating auto attack if you're still doing said attack, you just have to do it? It's like calling butter-churning a feature -- 'same butter, now with more back-breaking labor!'

Zanarchy's Avatar


Zanarchy
12.14.2011 , 03:23 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Smoda View Post
It is a reasonable quest to go on but you are still doing the typical MMO thing the entire time. I don't know what I was expecting but I might have set the bar too high. Our class quests are kill and gather quests like everything else. I don't even know what I would suggest as an alternative, I left that up to the game developers.
I'll be honest, in the beta, there was not a quest that bored me, since every quest (apart from Bonus Quests) has a partial bit of interactive story, I would dive into the quest as if it was actually a part of the story and as if I was making an Impact, and it felt quite like it too, now sure, you have the same quests as WoW, Rift, Aion or any other MMO but to be quite honest, ToR does it like none of them, in usual MMOs it's just Accept Quest -> Do Quest -> Get Reward, and whilst this is the same, it's the interactive story that adds to it like none other, so sure, you're doing the typical MMO thing, but in a way, you're doing the typical MMO thing in an untypical way, which I find quite unique and interesting.