Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Twi'lek Lekku, prehensile?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Twi'lek Lekku, prehensile?

Mawduce
12.11.2012 , 07:14 PM | #11
i thought they held part of the brain and are used to attract mates. the part of the brain thats housed there is the pleasure zone. i remember a jedi cutting hers off to prevent herself from wanting another person. she was banished from her people or something like that after. they are a big deal for them
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

VelvetSanity
12.11.2012 , 08:54 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Mawduce View Post
i thought they held part of the brain and are used to attract mates. the part of the brain thats housed there is the pleasure zone. i remember a jedi cutting hers off to prevent herself from wanting another person. she was banished from her people or something like that after. they are a big deal for them
They do contain part of the brain, but I haven't seen any info regarding what areas of the brain, exactly, are located there.

EDIT: The info I have (I primarily use the d20 Star Wars RPG for lore, as authors often speculate and apply literary license to make a story more interesting) says that they are sensory organs. I can see such an extrapolation being made, but it's faulty logic. For all I know, the lekku contain their taste buds or a radar system.

Ninquelen
12.12.2012 , 08:58 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by VelvetSanity View Post
They do contain part of the brain, but I haven't seen any info regarding what areas of the brain, exactly, are located there...For all I know, the lekku contain their taste buds or a radar system.
According to Wookiepedia, a top portion of the lekku contains brain tissue that controls basic motor functions and houses repressed subconscious memories. It notes that force to the top portion of the lekku can incapacitate a Twi'lek or cause brain damage. It also notes that Rianna Saren's right lek was cut off, but this must have been below the actual brain matter as she suffered no brain damage.

Seems like kind of a weird way for evolution to go. Basic motor skills--let's keep them on the outside where they're more easily damaged!

VelvetSanity
12.14.2012 , 10:04 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ninquelen View Post
Seems like kind of a weird way for evolution to go. Basic motor skills--let's keep them on the outside where they're more easily damaged!
Consider this: in every air-breathing creature on earth, the airway is not only connected to the digestive tract, but they actually *cross*! The esophagus is located *behind* the trachea...

Now, who's to say the skull isn't shaped to also protect those parts of the brain, seeing as they're located in the *base* of the lekku, rather than the tips.