Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

vBulletin and You - [SWTOR vBulletin Guide] (What Bioware left out)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
vBulletin and You - [SWTOR vBulletin Guide] (What Bioware left out)

Sivri
01.18.2012 , 09:52 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandrel-Blitz View Post
Also, it was just noticed and reported that the search function is (once again), gone.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1781344

Their web guys must have been making some changes durng the "maintainance" period.
You can still find your own threads/posts though, so it's not all gone (thankfully). I tend to forget to return to threads and thus I miss out on replies to me in those threads. I'm a bit used to being able to enable a PM notification that tells me whenever someone quotes me, but literally the only other way for me to get back to threads in the fast moving sections (like General) is to go via my own profile and check out my own latest posts.
Leader of The Clandestine Community - The Clandestine Recruitment
Siara - Republic Human - The Progenitor
For profit and freedom

Emily_Mc
01.18.2012 , 09:53 AM | #12
Neat, figured out the tools option you listed.

5 stars for you

Emily_Mc
01.18.2012 , 09:55 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sivri View Post
You can still find your own threads/posts though, so it's not all gone (thankfully). I tend to forget to return to threads and thus I miss out on replies to me in those threads. I'm a bit used to being able to enable a PM notification that tells me whenever someone quotes me, but literally the only other way for me to get back to threads in the fast moving sections (like General) is to go via my own profile and check out my own latest posts.
You should be able to use the Subscription feature now which is listed in this guide. The button to subscribe to a forum/thread is missing otherwise.

Rabbio
01.18.2012 , 09:57 AM | #14
You want server forums. Please, I beg you, stop making new threads about it. If the only reason you went to all of the trouble to make this thread is because there still aren't server forums, you need help.

That was the "biggest" reason you listed for how terrible these forums are. It was actually the only reason provided in your synopsis, but whatever.

Most of the items I saw in your list are frivolous to me. The issue almost every new large gaming company has with vBulletin boards is the search feature. It eats the servers alive, and this is at least the third company I've seen that has to disable the feature regularly to avoid the whole forum crashing down.

You mention the intent of this thread is to let people know what they *could* be having. My question is, since BioWare are the sole deciders of what we *can* have, what purpose does this thread serve other than to incite random uninformed forum posters to respond?

Emily_Mc
01.18.2012 , 10:00 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbio View Post
You want server forums. Please, I beg you, stop making new threads about it. If the only reason you went to all of the trouble to make this thread is because there still aren't server forums, you need help.

That was the "biggest" reason you listed for how terrible these forums are. It was actually the only reason provided in your synopsis, but whatever.

Most of the items I saw in your list are frivolous to me. The issue almost every new large gaming company has with vBulletin boards is the search feature. It eats the servers alive, and this is at least the third company I've seen that has to disable the feature regularly to avoid the whole forum crashing down.

You mention the intent of this thread is to let people know what they *could* be having. My question is, since BioWare are the sole deciders of what we *can* have, what purpose does this thread serve other than to incite random uninformed forum posters to respond?
I found this thread quite helpful

Did you even read it? or did you just skim through it?

I use Vbulletin daily and find this place to be very non user friendly, so some of the things here made my day.

Vandrel-Blitz
01.18.2012 , 10:11 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Sivri View Post
Quite true, the search function isn't completely disabled at the moment. It appears as if someone was making changes to the template and either A) reverted to a previous revision or B) intentionally removed it. Either way, you can still accomplish this via your profile for the time being.

Quote: Originally Posted by Emily_Mc View Post
Neat, figured out the tools option you listed.

5 stars for you
Thank you

Quote: Originally Posted by Emily_Mc View Post
You should be able to use the Subscription feature now which is listed in this guide. The button to subscribe to a forum/thread is missing otherwise.
Spot on here. I have a wide range of vBulletin sites I manage and the Subscriptions option is something I use heavily. I don't like digging through pages of threads if I don't have to.

Quote: Originally Posted by Rabbio View Post

I think Emily may have hit the nail on the head

From Section ii.
Quote: Originally Posted by This Thread
So, you might be asking yourself, "What's missing from these forums?" Well, that's a great question young Padawan (or Acolyte, whichever applies to you). Precisely what is missing from the SWTOR forums is a range of key tools which makes vBulletin worth it's weight in comparison to it's competitors. As noted in section (i.), vBulletin carries an extensive variety of capabilities, by default. It's like the party pack of forum software where you get 2 for the price of one.

What's currently missing from the SWTOR forum template, which was created by Bioware, is a number of tools which make viewing and using the forums much more user friendly.
From Section iii.
Quote: Originally Posted by This Thread
This guide will detail several key items left out of the SWTOR vBulletin template. Most of the items listed in this guide are quite helpful in navigating the forums and also keeping things neat and tidy by mitigating the hoops you must jump through to locate valuable information. The less you as a customer have to do, the happier you will be, thus increasing customer satisfaction ratings for Bioware.

The SWTOR community can only hope Bioware takes the time to read this thread and potentially include, fix, and/or enable key items listed.
If you have other issues regarding my posting then I recommend you take them to PM or elsewhere, otherwise you are off-topic here.
Electric Mayhem (click for more details)
SWTOR - The Shadowlands - US East - PVE - Empire Guild

HanzoV
01.18.2012 , 10:13 AM | #17
I just wish they'd add the forum icons next to the thread titles; like the lock or the check/bullet marking the threads I've posted in.

I don't mind that you lock threads, BioWare, but I hate reading a couple pages, expecting to comment, only to see that it's locked. Might as well just delete it and save me the trouble.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Vandrel-Blitz
01.18.2012 , 10:16 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by HanzoV View Post
I just wish they'd add the forum icons next to the thread titles; like the lock or the check/bullet marking the threads I've posted in.

I don't mind that you lock threads, BioWare, but I hate reading a couple pages, expecting to comment, only to see that it's locked. Might as well just delete it and save me the trouble.
Great point there. I too have done the same. The template is a little misleading at times because you often will still see the "Reply" and/or "Quote" buttons even if the thread is locked. The only sure way to tell if it's locked in most cases is read to the end and find the Bioware post (if any) that says the thread is locked, or simply attempt to reply and get the "Thread Locked" error message.
Electric Mayhem (click for more details)
SWTOR - The Shadowlands - US East - PVE - Empire Guild

HanzoV
01.18.2012 , 10:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandrel-Blitz View Post
Great point there. I too have done the same. The template is a little misleading at times because you often will still see the "Reply" and/or "Quote" buttons even if the thread is locked. The only sure way to tell if it's locked in most cases is read to the end and find the Bioware post (if any) that says the thread is locked, or simply attempt to reply and get the "Thread Locked" error message.
I get that, but it's so counter-intuitive. If a thread gets my interest, I start at the beginning, and read all the posts. It may not even be my intent to post until I've read most of it.

Oh well, I guess I'll just read the first post from now on, then quickly check if the thread is still open, before proceeding.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Dasffion
01.18.2012 , 10:20 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by HanzoV View Post

If the quote option is gone it's locked.

Not sure why this thread is in the new player help forum, did it get moved here?

The forums are fine the way they are. Could there be more functionality? Maybe but they work, I've had no issues with them and I'm sure most of the population doesn't either. Ignorance is bliss.