Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Last names?


Xerolyfe's Avatar


Xerolyfe
12.14.2011 , 01:12 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Ookami View Post
Never messed with it, how does EQ2 handle names?
Well, it's been years since I played, but 5 years ago you chose a name just like in most MMOs and then, at level 10 I believe it was, you could add another name. So, for example, if you started with Leeroy, you could add Jenkins later, and become Leeroy Jenkins. And you could have different last names for all of your toons.

In EQ2 everyone also had their own instanced homes which they could buy furniture for and decorate. Which is a feature I don't understand why most MMOs don't have.

Ookami's Avatar


Ookami
12.14.2011 , 01:26 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerolyfe View Post
Well, it's been years since I played, but 5 years ago you chose a name just like in most MMOs and then, at level 10 I believe it was, you could add another name. So, for example, if you started with Leeroy, you could add Jenkins later, and become Leeroy Jenkins. And you could have different last names for all of your toons.

In EQ2 everyone also had their own instanced homes which they could buy furniture for and decorate. Which is a feature I don't understand why most MMOs don't have.
This is about what I'd like to see, though I'd rather have the ability to choose both at creation unless there is a way to have multiple characters with the same first name at the same time untill you hit level 10. TO me this would aleviate the problem of people locking a name on all servers making it impossible for others to use it. this of course is just my opinion. I'd really like to hear from the devs on why this doesn't get implemented.

As for the Legacy systems, for the most part I like the idea, but I have really no intention of all my characters being related and having the same last name, one other maybe, so it is limiting a little. I'd rather have the option for all characters to have the ability to choose a different surname.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thentamakur View Post
For the pains we endure now so shall we lessen for those that come after. Into the forgotten night we go head held high in defiance of obscurity. such is the life of a beta tester, and aren't we sadistic enough to enjoy it lol.

ghettogenius's Avatar


ghettogenius
12.14.2011 , 03:21 PM | #13
I'm pretty sure this legacy system will be partly for associating characters with certain player accounts so people wont have to make names like: Foxtank and Foxhealz so everyone knows that this player is that Fox guy. Otherwise it would be pretty stupid to have invested all that time and money into these storylines only to find out all our characters are related to one another directly. Yeah I want some independent surname action too.

Techie's Avatar


Techie
12.14.2011 , 04:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ookami View Post
... I'd really like to hear from the devs on why this doesn't get implemented.
The reason for not being able to have multiple people with the same name (first name in the case of allowing last names) is because of the chat system used in MMOs. The chat systems in MMOs are usually fairly simple and straight forward. One of their biggest limitations is how you uniquely identify people in the chat system (in MMOs that is everyone logged into a server). The chat system is the core of the MMO; you could almost say everything else is built around it. So for you to be able to have the same name as someone else you would need to have some other way of identifying players in the chat system. Unfortunately that would also make the system harder to use when trying to send a tell to that random person that just saved your bacon. With the current systems I just send a tell to that character name, but if the system allowed multiple people to use the same name there would have to be some other way to identify that character to whatever the chat system is using to differentiate that player from the others with the same name.

I'm not saying it's not doable, but it does take a fairly simple chat system and make it less intuitive to use depending on what is used to differentiate people from one another.

nonentity's Avatar


nonentity
12.14.2011 , 04:12 PM | #15
Last name ... yeah, I'd love that, hope it's implemented at some point.

rickjamesia's Avatar


rickjamesia
12.14.2011 , 04:20 PM | #16
So... do you have to choose a last name? I sort of don't even want one, lol. I like one word names, and surnames aren't something that are necessary, exactly. Not all cultures have always had them. Also, that would just bother me if a few years down the line I'm looking at my wookie and my twi'lek and they both have the same last name.

GamewizX's Avatar


GamewizX
12.14.2011 , 04:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by nonentity View Post
Last name ... yeah, I'd love that, hope it's implemented at some point.
It's already implemented. I take it you didn't read the thread at all?
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

GamewizX's Avatar


GamewizX
12.14.2011 , 04:22 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by rickjamesia View Post
So... do you have to choose a last name? I sort of don't even want one, lol. I like one word names, and surnames aren't something that are necessary, exactly. Not all cultures have always had them. Also, that would just bother me if a few years down the line I'm looking at my wookie and my twi'lek and they both have the same last name.
You have to choose a Legacy Title. You are not forced to display it, however.
The Shadowlands -Ξ▒▓██ The Gamewiz Legacy ██▓▒Ξ- The Shadowlands
www.oldrepublicdads.com | Proud member of -=ORD=- | www.oldrepublicdads.com
Aaliyah - 50 Sage (TK) | Corthin - 50 Sentinel (CB) | Hartman - 35 Commando (GN)

Restepor's Avatar


Restepor
12.14.2011 , 04:24 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Xerolyfe View Post
Is this in the game already or a feature that is "coming soon"?
Yep it's in the game right now, it's full functionality is not, however.

Apollian's Avatar


Apollian
12.14.2011 , 04:39 PM | #20
one question:
Can i share one Legacy with other players, so we would have the same legacy? With Friends and real Familiy?