Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does the launcher ask for administrative acces on my pc?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Why does the launcher ask for administrative acces on my pc?

Restepor
12.14.2011 , 04:16 PM | #11
Just a precautionary act on Win 7. If I'm right Origins does something similar it scans your hardrive every time it starts up, tripping it.

Kailand
12.14.2011 , 04:22 PM | #12
Looking into some more detail (according to the windows 7 resource monitor), the Launcher application is trying to access the root directory of where windows is installed, AND the root directory of where your game is installed instead of playing nice in its own folder.

i.e. if windows is on C: and swtor is installed in some directory in D:, its accessing the root directories of those drives: C:\ and D:\, to be exact. If I remember correctly, writing/modifiying the root directories causes UAC to pop up.

C:\$msft
D:\$LogFile (NTFS Volume Log)

Now these could be opened by some other library that SWTOR is using, but I do not see any reason why they would need access to those in the launcher.

WoW on the other hand sticks to its own directory and the user directory.

Bioware, please look into this, and make your stuff play nice security wise.

enutt
12.14.2011 , 04:41 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kraki View Post
not for all mmo launchers, my WoW launcher doesn't trip the UAC
It used to, then Blizzard made a change to their launcher that removed the UAC conflict.

UAC gets triggered when an application attempts to change the contents of a system file or folder. The most common culprits in this case are the Program Files directory and/or the Registry. Given that some players are reporting the issue even when installed in a non-system folder, my guess is that the launcher is storing data in the Registry.

As annoying as this may be, please DO NOT DISABLE UAC, as this leaves your system vulnerable to other exploits.

Have fun playing.
All that is required for the triumph of the Empire is for good Republicans to do nothing.

NuanceNW
12.14.2011 , 05:12 PM | #14
It also touches files in a hidden folder off your C:\programData\Electronic Arts or C:\programData\Origin. Could be accessing the folder/files there requires elevated permissions.

Colobulous
12.14.2011 , 05:52 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by pudim View Post
The launcher asks for permission BEFORE checking if the is any update to be done
it IS default procedure for all MMO launchers
No, it's not, and that's a bad way to do things.

Checking to see if there's an actual needed update and THEN asking for permission would be the way to do things.

This client is not well done.

Bayli
12.14.2011 , 07:55 PM | #16
I can't believe that I have to enter an administrator password every time I go to launch the game. I log into my machine on a restricted user account for daily use for a reason. I have no problem permanently granting access to individual programs that require admin access to run on a case by case basis (most games I play require this).

I saw that somebody else with this problem mentioned that they installed the game to a drive other than the standard C: drive. I too have my installation of the game, and virtually every program that I have installed, to the D: drive away from the OS. I wonder if this is causing the problem in the way the game asks for permissions to show up, or are there really that many people running their copy of Win 7 with either UAC turned off or under an andmin account?

Silverrey
12.14.2011 , 09:42 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayli View Post
I can't believe that I have to enter an administrator password every time I go to launch the game. I log into my machine on a restricted user account for daily use for a reason. I have no problem permanently granting access to individual programs that require admin access to run on a case by case basis (most games I play require this).

I saw that somebody else with this problem mentioned that they installed the game to a drive other than the standard C: drive. I too have my installation of the game, and virtually every program that I have installed, to the D: drive away from the OS. I wonder if this is causing the problem in the way the game asks for permissions to show up, or are there really that many people running their copy of Win 7 with either UAC turned off or under an andmin account?
It was brought up in beta but it looks like BW decided that it didn't warrant being fixed till "after launch".
Explorer: 80%, Socializer: 67%, Achiever: 53%, Killer: 0%

Kailand
12.15.2011 , 07:31 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Bayli View Post

There is a workaround to avoid the UAC prompt, although it's not desired. Basically you create a task using the task schedule, and create a short cut to that. Search for "Windows 7 - Elevated Program Shortcut without UAC Prompt - Create" and it has instructions to do so. Again, its only a work around, but until bioware fixes their security issues its a way to avoid the annoyance of the UAC prompt while not turning of UAC. An until they fix their security issues, they will also remain a possible vector for malware/viruses due to the elevation, so when they fix the problem, make sure you undo the task scheduler short cut.

Tintagel
12.15.2011 , 07:36 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Silverrey View Post
It was brought up in beta but it looks like BW decided that it didn't warrant being fixed till "after launch".
This Unfortunately
The Red Eclipse - EU

Kurotoshiro
12.15.2011 , 08:27 AM | #20
Tonight I will use Filemon to check what the launcher does. It shouldn't need admin rights to run.
Spoiler

Light side Sith Inquisitor
Specialization : Second class EU customer
In The . we trust