Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lightsabers... Lights or Heavy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Lightsabers... Lights or Heavy?

Krusedullfaen
01.15.2012 , 11:17 PM | #11
That is *********** awesome sir/miss, I salute you.

MxCNOM
01.15.2012 , 11:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post
whether you like it or not, a lightsabers blade is weightless, and the difficulty in wielding it comes from the gyroscope effect of the weapon.
Well I'm sorry I haven't read the wiki, just saying that the last I heard on the matter was from an interview with the maker of the IP, and I'm pretty sure that the understanding is that movie canon has precedence over anything else. Of course, as has been the case, he could've just changed it (which is why I said "originally").

Durzaka
01.15.2012 , 11:43 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MxCNOM View Post
Well I'm sorry I haven't read the wiki, just saying that the last I heard on the matter was from an interview with the maker of the IP, and I'm pretty sure that the understanding is that movie canon has precedence over anything else. Of course, as has been the case, he could've just changed it (which is why I said "originally").
actually G canon (basically anything lucas says) is the highest form of canon, which includes the movies. But it is never stated in the movies in the movies the weight of the blade, therefore we only have the information we have been given in books and interviews since then.
Durzaka Retribution

MxCNOM
01.15.2012 , 11:48 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Durzaka View Post
actually G canon (basically anything lucas says) is the highest form of canon, which includes the movies. But it is never stated in the movies in the movies the weight of the blade, therefore we only have the information we have been given in books and interviews since then.
Well that is true, but it WAS in an interview with him that I heard the "heavy energy blade" idea in the first place. I must have been taken by a brief fit of madness when I assumed that that would/could not change. At least, I'm pretty sure it was Lucas.

Esauru
01.15.2012 , 11:51 PM | #15
What you see as different grips and different styles of wielding the saber
is basically a combat technique.

There are seven forms in the Jedi/Sith Lightsaber combat style.

Shii-Cho
Makashi (Count Dooku - Fencing style)
Soresu (Obi-wan episode 2 onwards particularly when fighting Grievious)
Ataru (Obi-wan Ep1, Qui gon, Yoda)
Shien/Djem so (Anakin, I think)
Niman
Juyo/Vaapad (Mace Windu, Darth Maul)

Those are the list of saber forms, I do not think they are in the correct order but!
That is why each of them holds a saber differently. Each form has it's own way of
combat and style which has nothing to do with the weight of the hilt, more so the
power of the slash in the case of Shii-cho, or using minimal effort in the case of
Makashi. They all vary greatly from one another.

I hope this helps with what you were wondering about. More in wookiepedia if you wanna find out.

OddballEasyEight
01.16.2012 , 01:45 AM | #16
Well the thing is Lucas originally wanted them to be really heavy weapons (hence the double handed use in some of the fight scenes in the OT) but then changed his mind (as he does on occation ) and the weapon turned out to be a bit of both.

Its a very light weapon, but it uses the combat styles of both heavy and light weapons :/
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

Jadedfate
01.16.2012 , 11:02 AM | #17
In the original trilogy Lucas insisted they were very heavy, and that's why they were used two handed and were fairly slow...he seems to have changed his opinion on it though over the years. But that was what he originally intended.