Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Missions and grouping - Need official answer here

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Missions and grouping - Need official answer here

surftech
12.14.2011 , 10:11 AM | #1
What are the rules exactly to grouping and doing missions?

I have been asking this question since Beta, and no one seems to know the answer.

Example: last night a friend and I grouped together. We were both Bounty Hunters on Hutta. He was level 5, I was 4. We both had the option in Preferences checked saying "Allow other players of same class to group on class mission" (paraphrasing there, not sure the exact syntax). Out of 10+ missions between the 2 of us, ONLY 1 were we able to share and receive the proper mission xp and finishing bonuses.

Some of the missions we could share, other we could not.

Here are my questions:

1. What are (if any) the max number of levels that a team can have between them and still receive XP and allow access to mission doors?

2. Why can some missions be shared (via the Mission Log "L") and why can some not? Is there some kind of fundamental rule about pressing the "share" button on your mission?

3. In order to run and complete the same mission, do both players have to have received the mission from the mission giver? Or is it possible to just jump in a group (PuG for ex) and keep going on a mission?

In the past MMOs that I have played, the best game that did this was City of Heroes/Villains. Basically in the game, anyone could group up and do a mission. There were rules like, if characters were more than 3 levels apart, the higher character could "sidekick" the lower player to bring them up, or vice versa, the lower player could "lackey" the higher etc. But it had NO effect on accessing instances or flash points. XP would shift according to levels, but access was ALWAYS there.

This is important because many times a friend will ask you "hey man, can you give me a hand with this boss" or "can you help me fight these 3 remaining groups of rats etc" and every time I show up, I simply CANNOT get grouped correctly to access these mission doors.

Why cant SWTOR do this? Its hurting the Social aspect of the game. I would rather run solo for the most part then try to figure out the grouping rules each time a friend and I want to pair up.

Bioware? Someone?

ElektronJohn
12.14.2011 , 10:20 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by surftech View Post

1. What are (if any) the max number of levels that a team can have between them and still receive XP and allow access to mission doors?

2. Why can some missions be shared (via the Mission Log "L") and why can some not? Is there some kind of fundamental rule about pressing the "share" button on your mission?

3. In order to run and complete the same mission, do both players have to have received the mission from the mission giver? Or is it possible to just jump in a group (PuG for ex) and keep going on a mission?
Now I'm no expert on this, so I am just speaking on my experiences.

1. I have been about 7 levels above someone and we both still received good experience. From my understanding, you can always enter another person's mission door as long as it is allowed in the options menu. Granted, I'm not sure how this works if this person has already completed that mission and where they are allowed back in.

2. From my experience, certain quests are tiered or built upon each other. For instance, you fulfill the quest and then it prompts you to do something new. If you just received this mission from the npc and it's not a class-specific quest, it can be shared. Otherwise, I believe the other player has to get it themselves.

3. Yes. You can just jump in the group, but this doesn't automatically give you the quest. You can assist, but you don't actually get credit for the quest.
Division Three

A small guild focusing on PvE, RP, PVP, and of course fun.
-=Guild Founder=-