Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no combat gathering?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why no combat gathering?

Jadalyn
12.14.2011 , 09:46 AM | #1
I still don't understand why we are not allowed to interact with the environment while in combat. The companion system lends itself to multi-tasking such as gathering and fighting at the same time. It would also be nice to be able to compete quests while in combat.

The UI has a built in option to send the companion to gather a resource. This feature seems totally worthless if a player cannot gather while in combat.

One of the advantages of allowing this would be to stop other players from "stealing" a resource node or quest location that a player intended to interact with after clearing the mobs around the node. As the current system stands, I am forced to steal nodes if I want to be competitive in resource gathering.

I am also not impressed with the function/bugginess of companion gathering. My companion Khem Val first attempts to scan a node while out of its range when I click on it and then moves up to perform the scan. At this point I will not use this feature because I can't stand to watch him do this.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Braneric
12.14.2011 , 09:48 AM | #2
Because trying to gather those Rubat crystals while you are being shot at is not the smartest thing to do?

Rasticles
12.14.2011 , 09:50 AM | #3
Jedi One: Hurry, the security of the entire Galaxy is at stake.......

Jedo Two: Ok, I'm on my way.... just gotta clear to that Desh pile first.....

Danakar
12.14.2011 , 10:00 AM | #4
Picking flowers in the middle of a war isn't the smartest thing to do
Danakar <Legacy name taken> - retired Jedi Knight
The Fifth Order (fell to pieces after the merge)
|||||||||||||()█╣ Subscription cancelled, thanks BW/EA

Jadalyn
12.14.2011 , 10:00 AM | #5
As it stands, the situation is:

Jedi 1: Look, a group of bandits. Time to bring them to justice

Jedi 2: If I stand here and watch, I can get those crystals for free.

Jedi 1: Help! or Stop stealing my crystals!
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Phaedrynn
12.14.2011 , 10:01 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadalyn View Post
As the current system stands, I am forced to steal nodes if I want to be competitive in resource gathering.
Forced? No, you are most certainly not. However, if you are just looking for an excuse to be a jerk I guess this one is as good as any other.

Jadalyn
12.14.2011 , 10:07 AM | #7
Yes, "Forced".

I can not tell what crew skills another player has, and I have no reason to wait to see if they are going to use the gathering node or not.

This would be completely avoidable if a player was allowed to spend the 3 seconds to interact with a resource while in combat. First-come first-served should be the policy.

Omaric
12.14.2011 , 10:19 AM | #8
Yes, "Forced".

I can not tell what crew skills another player has, and I have no reason to wait to see if they are going to use the gathering node or not.

This would be completely avoidable if a player was allowed to spend the 3 seconds to interact with a resource while in combat. First-come first-served should be the policy.
This.

PvE focused Empire guild based in a PvP server

Phaedrynn
12.14.2011 , 10:30 AM | #9
Yes, "Forced".

I see...rationalization to justify being a jerk. Got it.

You see someone fighting next to a node, you move along. You don't need to see what their crew skills are to show some common courtesy. You really don't need to get every last node you see you know, there will be more...I promise.

Or...just be a jerk

/shrug

Jadalyn
12.14.2011 , 10:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Phaedrynn View Post
I see...rationalization to justify being a jerk. Got it.

You see someone fighting next to a node, you move along. You don't need to see what their crew skills are to show some common courtesy. You really don't need to get every last node you see you know, there will be more...I promise.

Or...just be a jerk

/shrug
Its the perception of being a jerk that could be avoided.

If I'm fighting and I want to get a node that gets stolen by another player - they are a jerk.
If I want a node and another player is fighting the mobs by it - I'm the jerk.

But Why?