Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there anyway to turn off the bad language filter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is there anyway to turn off the bad language filter?

Dasffion
01.10.2012 , 04:47 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by thbends View Post
Wow... and that's better then a simple four letter word?!! LOL

Guess you could always just say FRACK!!!
Dang, I was going to bring up Frack.

We're getting way off topic here but oh well...This is why I never understood the problem with "foul language" it's just a word, it's the tone and context that gives it meaning. If you replace it with another word the meaning is still there.

BlackRifle
01.10.2012 , 04:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Amdramnar View Post
The ToS we all agree to abide by includes wording that we will not use bad language. Since you agree not to use bad language, the existence of the filter does not give you permission to go back on your promise.
I never understood why MMOs have this in their ToS and at the same time include a profanity filter. If a company doesn't want people to swear at all in their game, why not simply just censor all the bad words and not include the toggle profanity filter in the first place? It doesn't make sense. It's pointless to have a chat filter that players can toggle on and off but yet profanity is not permitted no matter what.

Kytea
01.10.2012 , 05:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by thbends View Post
Well if you are role playing say a smuggler or bounty hunter... "Gosh darn it"... Doesn't really fit the personality.
Actually, if you're in Empire, due to the British accent, you'd have to say "By Jove" or something like that

thbends
01.10.2012 , 06:28 PM | #24
Its just a funny subject. No real need to discuss. Enjoy the posts though.

KnightDLR
01.10.2012 , 06:28 PM | #25
To be honest, if they aggressively enforced the profanity rule as much as some people here seem to want, by the time they're finished, there'd be about 10-20 people total playing.

Yes, there is a profanity clause and it has to exist for the reasons stated. The profanity filter exists in tandem with it because no matter what CS does, they are not going to reasonably be able to control the speech of every player. So, the profanity filter is there for people that want to use it and it can be toggled off for those that don't.

In other games (and I can't see any reason why this game won't hold to the same standard), it was stated a number of times that the existence of a profanity filter does not grant the ability to be excessively profane. The occasional slip (I'm guilty as anything on this one) or mild use of profanity is probably not going to be dealt with. What will be dealt with is the person(s) that can't see to hit the space bar without using some sort of profanity or people that construct those words in such a way that it bypasses the filter.

To sum up, if you don't want to see it, either engage the filter or place the person on ignore. If you don't mind seeing it, it's your choice to turn it off. In either case, if someone is going out of control with the language, report it, ignore the player and let CS decide how they will deal with it.
Some people just need a high-five...in the face...with a chair.

Darth_Gao_Gao
01.10.2012 , 06:44 PM | #26
just use role playing improper language. for instance, i'll tell everyone on a planet that they're just a bunch of nerf herders, or state that their brains are comprised of bantha poo-doo. just try and report me.

SacredTorment
01.05.2013 , 04:12 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by KnightDLR View Post
To be honest, if they aggressively enforced the profanity rule as much as some people here seem to want, by the time they're finished, there'd be about 10-20 people total playing.

Yes, there is a profanity clause and it has to exist for the reasons stated. The profanity filter exists in tandem with it because no matter what CS does, they are not going to reasonably be able to control the speech of every player. So, the profanity filter is there for people that want to use it and it can be toggled off for those that don't.

In other games (and I can't see any reason why this game won't hold to the same standard), it was stated a number of times that the existence of a profanity filter does not grant the ability to be excessively profane. The occasional slip (I'm guilty as anything on this one) or mild use of profanity is probably not going to be dealt with. What will be dealt with is the person(s) that can't see to hit the space bar without using some sort of profanity or people that construct those words in such a way that it bypasses the filter.

To sum up, if you don't want to see it, either engage the filter or place the person on ignore. If you don't mind seeing it, it's your choice to turn it off. In either case, if someone is going out of control with the language, report it, ignore the player and let CS decide how they will deal with it.
Yep. Just a bunch of *********** politics and bull**** legal *** covering.