Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is there anyway to turn off the bad language filter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Is there anyway to turn off the bad language filter?

Lt_Braxx
01.10.2012 , 12:52 PM | #1
While I can respect Bioware's decision to put in a bad language filter to protect some of the younger players in SWTOR. I would like to know if there is any way to turn it off on my UI for when I type bad words and when I am receiving bad words from other players.

My reason is the following: I am and adult and from time to time I curse and use abbreviations with friends. It is our common tongue in real life as well as in online chat.

I'm hoping there is a way to turn this off because I don't enjoy being treated like a child or being censored. Also, please do not respond with posts like clean up your language, etc, etc. This is a personal choice and I would like to privately chat with friends in any manner I choose.

This feature would not hurt any other person in game and would only enhance my personal experience.

Kytea
01.10.2012 , 12:53 PM | #2
preferences - chat
uncheck "profanity filter"

Ganadorf
01.10.2012 , 12:54 PM | #3
Yes, there's an option to turn off the Profanity Filter, under Preferences

Lt_Braxx
01.10.2012 , 12:56 PM | #4
Thanks!

angrYdog
01.10.2012 , 12:58 PM | #5
if you have problems to switch of the profanity filter...i wonder how you wanna get to lvl 50 :P

MrSchmo
01.10.2012 , 01:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by angrYdog View Post
if you have problems to switch of the profanity filter...i wonder how you wanna get to lvl 50 :P
Wonder how you made it through life with language skills like that.

Insults hurt when not needed. This is New Player help section. Not ego boost section.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

Kytea
01.10.2012 , 01:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by angrYdog View Post
This is the "new player section" where there are no stupid questions... but there may be stupid answers such as the one above.

Kytea
01.10.2012 , 02:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Lt_Braxx View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome.

Now, when guilders point out that they've just discovered this option, mess with their minds a little and write something with lots of asterisks such as :
"Hey, there are some words that are censored even with the profanity filter off, such as : The other day, I ******** my ****** in the *******"

Let them scratch their head a little.

Amdramnar
01.10.2012 , 02:03 PM | #9
The ToS we all agree to abide by includes wording that we will not use bad language. Since you agree not to use bad language, the existence of the filter does not give you permission to go back on your promise.
Amdramnar shot first!

Aieny
01.10.2012 , 02:06 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Amdramnar View Post
The ToS we all agree to abide by includes wording that we will not use bad language. Since you agree not to use bad language, the existence of the filter does not give you permission to go back on your promise.
Dang, you beat me to it!