The extra episode in the first series... question for the older crew

Pricia

So we were talking about our favorite SW episodes in guild chat a couple weeks ago, and people mentioned that their favorite was episode 6 - return of the Jedi.

And I disagreed that it was episode 6. It's been a while, but 20 years ago, I am quite sure that RotJ was episode 7, and that one episode number was skipped because it wasn't made into a movie - it focused on Bobba Fett and I can't for the life remember the name of it - it was a book and a comics. It happened sometime between the 3 movies, after Empire Strikes Back perhaps?

Except that now, everywhere I go, it says that RotJ is episode 6. And I can't find any mention of it on google.

And I'm starting to think I'm nuts. Unfortunately I don't have my tapes from 20 years ago to check. I was in France, too... maybe it makes a difference, I don't know, but does anyone else remember that?

I believe you're thinking of Shadows of the Empire, which was a multimedia project in 1996. It was never stated to be Episode VI; that was always Return of the Jedi. However, Shadows was treated much like a movie release - except without the movie. It was a "multimedia project" because it encompassed a novel, a young adult novelization, a comic series*, a video game, a soundtrack, trading cards, a role-playing game, and various action figures and models.

The comic series focused on Boba Fett's efforts to maintain possession of the carbon-froze Han Solo while contending with other bounty hunters who sought to claim Jabba's bounty on Han. The novel focused on Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, and Lando, and introduced characters named Dash Rendar and Prince Xizor. In the video game, you play as Rendar.

See the Wookiepedia entry for more information.

(* There was even a comic sequel called Shadows of the Empire: Evolution, written by the author of the main novel.)

Edited by psychogobstopper

GL always said that SW was the story of Anakin, from birth (ish) to death. He said that HE wouldn't make episodes 7, 8 or 9, coz, to him, the story was over. But that doesn't stop anyone else making them.

If there was something about Boba, it wouldn't be in the 'SW cannon of movies' as such, since he was just someone who knew Vader, that was about it.