Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So would anyone like to explain...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
So would anyone like to explain...

Wolfninjajedi
01.10.2012 , 09:41 AM | #1
Why people love HK-47? Get off the fanboy train and really tell me, because after watching and looking at him he doesn't really seem that special. Ok so...he has a cool/sarcastic voice and says the word "meatbag".......is that really all your giving me? People say hes special because he has his own personality....that doesn't make him special.

R2-D2

C3-PO

T3-M4

All went without memory wipes and they all developed their own personalities. Hes an assassin droid....that can kill jedi....again thats not really special, killing jedi isn't a special thing anymore. The CIS droids did it, clones did it, bounty hunters did it, its not a special thing anymore. He was built by the sith lord Revan....ok so? 3PO was built by Anakin at the age of 9(or was it 10?) so does that make him the best droid ever? In fact the only thing I find about him that is in detail is his personality, everything else is either non-existent or theres little information.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Seductivpancakes
01.10.2012 , 09:58 AM | #2
Well its an opinion thing.

Everything you listed about HK, I"m sure many people love that about him.

C3P0 is comical, but too whiny.

R2DS is cool, but also comes off as bratty.

T3, honestly, nothing about him stands out to me.

You're right about how killing Jedis isn't particularly effective, but the CIS droids needed to be attacking a single Jedi in droves in order to actually kill one, and really the only bounty hunters that killed multiple Jedis was Jango and Boba Fett, two legendary Mandalorians and bounty hunters.

Foxfirega
01.10.2012 , 10:08 AM | #3
It's entirely the personality and the method of delivery. It's something that's true of any one person in particular, let alone droids or other things.

To paraphrase George Carlin - It's not the punchline or even the joke that's funny, it's how it's delivered. Give any two people the exact same joke, put them in front of the same crowd of people and have them deliver it, and no matter who goes first, whoever delivers it better will be the one remembered and the one people enjoy the most.

It's the same thing with droids to an extent. It's not the chassis. It's the personality - it's that droid as opposed to that one.

For example, technically, T3-M4 and T7-O1 are incredibly similar. However... T7, to me, just has so much more personality (probably because we get direct translations of his statements), and is that much more loveable.

There's even a case example in KotOR2 itself - the HK-50 line of droids have a lot of the same quirks as HK-47 had. But none of them were as good as the original. They walked the same, they talked similar, they had similar speech quirks (outside of HK-47's trademark 'meatbag' commentary). They even looked the same. But HK-47 was superior in every facet. He was a callous, apathetic monster of a droid, and he was incredible.

Accept no imitations.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

jarjarloves
01.10.2012 , 10:08 AM | #4
Look at Boba Fett he is only in the movies for what maybe 15 mins or so and has 3 lines and then dies and look at how much fanboys go crazy for him.

He has 0 personality is just a guy who stands there and looks like a bad ***. His only notible acomplishment is that he was able to follow the Millienum Falcon with out being seen. He starts to fight Luke but is killed by a blind Han Solo.

XTchazTX
01.10.2012 , 10:11 AM | #5
Meaningless Rebuttal: Well that's just your opinion man.

Seductivpancakes
01.10.2012 , 10:11 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Look at Boba Fett he is only in the movies for what maybe 15 mins or so and has 3 lines and then dies and look at how much fanboys go crazy for him.

He has 0 personality is just a guy who stands there and looks like a bad ***. His only notible acomplishment is that he was able to follow the Millienum Falcon with out being seen. He starts to fight Luke but is killed by a blind Han Solo.
People love him more so from the Expanded Universe then what he actually did in the movies.

Its not like the expanded universe rewrote what happen to him ROTJ, they just explored his life and actions more beyond that embarrassment.

In fact, Dengar, the closest best friend Boba has, always makes fun of him for being sarlacc food.

jarjarloves
01.10.2012 , 10:20 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes View Post
People love him more so from the Expanded Universe then what he actually did in the movies.

Its not like the expanded universe rewrote what happen to him ROTJ, they just explored his life and actions more beyond that embarrassment.

In fact, Dengar, the closest best friend Boba has, always makes fun of him for being sarlacc food.
but to be fair the fascination with him started before any of that was written.

Seductivpancakes
01.10.2012 , 10:25 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
but to be fair the fascination with him started before any of that was written.
Possibly. I wasn't born when the original 3 was released so I don't know about people's fascination with him during that time.

Foxfirega
01.10.2012 , 10:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Seductivpancakes View Post
Possibly. I wasn't born when the original 3 was released so I don't know about people's fascination with him during that time.
For me, personally, it was the armor and the implied personality from his limited screentime ("No disintegrations." / "He's no use to me dead." "You will be compensated appropriately.").

All of the little details on his armor were fantastic, though - including the wookie-fur braids he had along the one side, the number of tools/gadgets (most of which didn't really get used, but AFAIK were expanded upon in the novelizations a little bit; I could be misremembering)..

He was one seriously hardcore bounty hunter (but a poor Mandalorian).

EDIT: Of course, I saw it in theatres as a kid, so my subjective opinion is definately wearing some coke-bottle nostalgia glasses. :3 Though on looking at it, that was the re-release and not the original.. that predates me by a bit.
'Your name is in the mouth of others - be sure it has teeth.' - Maxim 16, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

Wolfninjajedi
01.10.2012 , 10:59 AM | #10
So.....really? Just personality? Thats why everyone says he can kill everyone and do all this crazy stuff because of his personality?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.