Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What exactly is an RP Server?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What exactly is an RP Server?

DGenerateKane
12.14.2011 , 06:36 AM | #1
I've never played an MMO before the Thanksgiving beta so a lot of the terms are unknown to me. Obviously RP stands for Role Play but what exactly does that mean? I read the description in the new player guide but it didn't really help. Can MMO veterans give specific examples of what people do on an RP server that they might not on a regular one?

Talrol
12.14.2011 , 06:39 AM | #2
Simple answer. A heavy role player will play the game as if they are inside the game themselves. A non role player will play the game as if it's any other console game not necessarily caring about keeping in character.

As to the differences between the servers, the only real difference is their designation. The RP tag was placed on some servers to give Role Players an easier time of finding others interested in role playing, Bioware has said they will not be enforcing a separate set of rules for RP servers though.

essell
12.14.2011 , 06:46 AM | #3
In a general sense, it means you're your character when playing; not yourself. It's about how you interact with other people on the server.

So if someone asks you a question, you'd tell them what your character thinks not what you think.

For example, someone shouts, "I am a mighty Sith Warrior! I enjoy cutting up small animals!"

Normally you might explain why that's a horrible thing and they're a bad person. But on an RP server you might answer "I am a mighty Sith too and I will eat the animals you kill"

Naturally, everyone varies. Some people take it really seriously and only speak as their character. Others are happier to "break character" and be themselves, and admit it's all a game.

Another example comes to mind. Someone casually says "I love use the force". On a normal server someone will say "You're not, it's just a game. Loser"

On an RP server you'd say "The force shall free me!"

Does that answer your question?

I will say that generally RP servers tend to have a more grown-up atmosphere. It takes a certain kind of person to want to play that way.
The Cake is a lie, there is only Cookies. Through cookies I gain mass, from mass I gain inertia, from inertia I gain force. The Force shall free me.

Haajib
12.14.2011 , 06:48 AM | #4
its means people are more socialize and want to spend hours and hours and the bar talking to each other

PitchShifta
12.14.2011 , 06:49 AM | #5
It's where all the in heat people go to fix that issue.

essell
12.14.2011 , 06:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
its means people are more socialize and want to spend hours and hours and the bar talking to each other
Where can I find this bar? I'm in the mood for Sith bar wenches.
The Cake is a lie, there is only Cookies. Through cookies I gain mass, from mass I gain inertia, from inertia I gain force. The Force shall free me.

xKiesix
12.14.2011 , 06:51 AM | #7
Role players play the game as though they are the character they create. This not only includes game choices, but also interaction with other players. For example, if I were to roleplay a Jedi Consular and another Jedi approaches me, I will greet them, speak with them of the disturbances in the force, and say 'May the force be with you' when I depart. If I were to be approached by a trooper, I would speak of the politics currently going on between the empire and the republic and ask if there was any way in which I could aid him. When I depart, I would say 'Farewell', since troopers are not studious in the force.

If I were to be approached by a smuggler, depending on my personality, I am likely to interact with him in a number of ways. If I am amused by his antics, I may play along. If I am serious, I may just ignore him.

Depending on the server type, rp can be in a variety of places such as gen chat, the cantinas, and sometimes even flashpoints and heroics. It is a heavy part of the server and you should only select it if you have every intention of rping. Else, you will feel very excluded.

That being said, if you come to my server and actively admit you don't rp, you have no intention to, and/or you say roleplayers are just a bunch of nerds, I will block you and I'm sure I am not the only one.

VampireRX
12.14.2011 , 06:52 AM | #8
Also on a RP server, generally, there isn't any OOC talking, (Out Of Character) so global chat shouldn't have any RL issues going on, like how to rebuild a engine or why SLI is better than Cross-fire etc etc.

Another I have noticed about RP servers is you get alot less people playing toons with off-the-wall names: Example - (Sloppyjoe, Beef-curtains, Vagisauras. etc etc

liamf
12.14.2011 , 06:52 AM | #9
Quote:
Where can I find this bar? I'm in the mood for Sith bar wenches.
I know not of any "bars" but there will be a cantina in the starting zones that you will stumble across at some point.

Crumblin
12.14.2011 , 06:53 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DGenerateKane View Post
Can MMO veterans give specific examples of what people do on an RP server that they might not on a regular one?
You can find extra player created and run storylines to join in with...