Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 02:46 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewser View Post
For the millionth time, if you select the right missions you WILL NOT LOSE money.
This simply is not true. Every mission has a chance to lose money. I'm not talking about losing money in the long run. I'm talking about individual missions. Having any mission return you less credits than you put in is stupid and just arbitrarily kills the profit per minute. Abundants/Moderates/Bountifuls of all levels have a chance to return you negative credits. This is the worst and is the reason why slicing is no longer economically feasible.

The goal is to get something for time & money invested. The opportunity cost of having slicing vs another mission running and not having your companion for questing. Right now slicing is a bad buy.

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 02:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
So is the complaint that you lost money on a mission that potentially advances your skill?

That happens to crafters all the time. I don't see the problem.
The complaint is that with max skill you still can lose money on missions (all of them) and this cuts into the profit. Crafters can lose money 'skilling up' but if they are smart they will stick around at their tiers and sell items which make money. Each crew skill can make a decision to 'make money' and all will come out ahead vs slicing. Grinding the skill should never come into a discussion on its economic feasibility.

Pherdnut
01.10.2012 , 02:49 PM | #23
You should lose money on missions. Sending companions out to bring back cash with no other effort/time sink on your part is an invitation for mega-abuse. The only point to slicing missions is to raise your level and the extras you can get. That you still get a decent rebate most of the time is quite nice actually, making slicing an easier skill to level through missions than most.
Amurrka, Malfunction, Skeeve, Derp, Deeva, Orinj @Dreshdae Cantina

"QQ!"

marshalleck
01.10.2012 , 02:49 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatJerkPat View Post
The complaint is that with max skill you still can lose money on missions (all of them) and this cuts into the profit. Crafters can lose money 'skilling up' but if they are smart they will stick around at their tiers and sell items which make money. Each crew skill can make a decision to 'make money' and all will come out ahead vs slicing. Grinding the skill should never come into a discussion on its economic feasibility.
So should the gathering aspect of slicing, i.e. going out and harvesting slicing nodes come into the discussion then?

I can't help but notice that many slicers seem to obsessively focus on running missions only. It's almost like they don't even know slicing nodes exist for harvesting.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

Pherdnut
01.10.2012 , 02:52 PM | #25
So should the gathering aspect of slicing, i.e. going out and harvesting slicing nodes come into the discussion then?
It's not relevant because it takes time/activity to do that. You can't simultaneously earn money from 7 accounts at the same time and just collect periodically. I would say the same of any mission skill that made it possible to vendor mats/items at a profit barring crit rolls.

"QQ!"

marshalleck
01.10.2012 , 02:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
It's not relevant because it takes time/activity to do that. You can't simultaneously earn money from 7 accounts at the same time and just collect periodically. I would say the same of any mission skill that made it possible to vendor mats/items at a profit barring crit rolls.
It's absolutely relevant. That's really no different from, say, scavenging or bioanalysis.

Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill. The missions are there to help grind it out and maybe get lucky on a few rolls, just like can be done with bio or scav missions.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

Pherdnut
01.10.2012 , 02:55 PM | #27
It's absolutely relevant. That's really no different from, say, scavenging or bioanalysis.
You can simultaneously send companions out from 8 accounts to mission bio mats and then come back and collect a profit? How?

"QQ!"

Drewser
01.10.2012 , 02:56 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatJerkPat View Post
This simply is not true. Every mission has a chance to lose money. I'm not talking about losing money in the long run. I'm talking about individual missions. Having any mission return you less credits than you put in is stupid and just arbitrarily kills the profit per minute. Abundants/Moderates/Bountifuls of all levels have a chance to return you negative credits. This is the worst and is the reason why slicing is no longer economically feasible.

The goal is to get something for time & money invested. The opportunity cost of having slicing vs another mission running and not having your companion for questing. Right now slicing is a bad buy.
I underlined is where you are 100% wrong.

I am curious though how much you think would need to be earned in a day for it to be economically feasible.

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 02:58 PM | #29

Slicing is a gathering skill, not a mission skill. The missions are there to help grind it out and maybe get lucky on a few rolls, just like can be done with bio or scav missions.
The slicing nodes respawn slower than other gathering skills, you can't gather corpses like others, and if you're in a group you're fighting over the lockboxes. And once again, those other gathering skills can run missions which do not return a loss. You still gain a tangible asset.

marshalleck
01.10.2012 , 02:59 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pherdnut View Post
You can simultaneously send companions out from 8 accounts to mission bio mats and then come back and collect a profit? How?
Sigh. The point is that runnign missions helps grind out the skill and maybe get a few lucky rewards, Bioware obviously don't want it to be a "give me credits" button.