Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Renifizzle
12.27.2011 , 12:50 PM | #1
Please look at the numbers now Bioware.
I am not jumping up and down saying "PUT IT BACK". I am saying, however, that now it loses money.

Why should I pay 1400 credits on a C6 lockbox search for a box that returns 1000 credits?
Why should I pay 1900 credits for a high reward C5 lockbox that returns 1400 credits?
Remember your design goals BW, slicing is a mission skill for non-crafters. It is a way for them to utilize the crew skills to make money or get gear without entering the crafting world. This skill is no longer profitable as a mission skill.

Please consider adjusting it so the profit margin is smaller, not a complete loss now.

Please give BW some constructive forum posts on this topic, thank you.

EDIT 12/28/11 9AM MST
I apologize, I have not been able to keep on top of this properly for the scope of this thread.

Also, the numbers I got were a result of previously unaccepted mission rewards vs the new item system. It appears that there is now a higher chance of uncommon T6 boxes doing the Moderate/Abundant missions so the profit margin isn't quite as atrocious (read: loss) as it initially seemed.

SirFlashington has done me the favor of compiling a live editable google spreadsheet that you can enter your results in. I forsee this getting wildly out of control if not edited responsibly, so if you have constructive feedback that you would like to give to the community and BW, please enter good information.
K: 67%, A: 67%, S: 33%, E: 33%

Sibonk
01.09.2012 , 07:56 PM | #2
Greetings folks!

The previous version of this thread has exceeded our post threshold, and we have recreated it for continued discussion.

As a gentle reminder to everyone, please remember the following:
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

Bansheedragon
01.09.2012 , 08:03 PM | #3
So this is the second time the thread has been reposted.
Has there been any news on the issue as of yet, or is it still silent?

Litefire
01.09.2012 , 08:22 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Bansheedragon View Post
So this is the second time the thread has been reposted.
Has there been any news on the issue as of yet, or is it still silent?
other then recreating the thread, they are still silent. I figure they are hoping it blows over and we forget about it...
Peace is a lie. There is only passion
I Support SGRA In the Old Republic

ThatJerkPat
01.09.2012 , 08:33 PM | #5
Total Missions: 155
Total Cost: 233675
Avg Cost Per Mission: 1507.580645
Total Time: 63.488 hrs
Total Time w/ Affection Bonus: 53.965 hrs
Avg Time Per Mission: 20.8897 minutes
Total Reward: 303840
Avg Reward Per Mission: 1960.258065
Profit: 70165
Profit Per Minute: 21.17177356
Profit Per Minute / Missions At a Time: 63.51532067
Number of Crits: 22
Total Time / Missions at a Time 17.988 hrs

Number of Rich Missions 101
Number of Abundant Missions 17
Number of Moderate Missions 8
Number of Bountiful Missions 29

Average loss -205.8518519
Average gain 804.7623762
Missions which lost money: 54
Missions which gained money: 101

Pretty ridiculous that a third of missions lose money. Just turns into a time sink. 63 CPM is very sad when one is not level 10.

Medianoche
01.10.2012 , 03:57 AM | #6
bump.

Zakkana
01.10.2012 , 06:26 AM | #7
Wow... This is now the THIRD thread on this, and the only official BioWare posts are the effing signposts?!?!?!

KoenigNord
01.10.2012 , 06:43 AM | #8
When I sent my companions on missions with moderate and abundant yield, the is alway a bigger gain in money. Bountiful and rich yields give me more schematics but most time I lose money.

Thats what I have seen so far.

So I'm sending my crew on moderate and abundant and hope they don't fail. But the gain is still very low. I guess it's 5 to 15%.
Slicing on field give a lot, tho! When my friend and me are playing, I have way more credits after a few hours.

Like Scavenging/Bio Analysis/etc it's not worth sending the crew for lockboxes. Better to use these skills while questing.

Stradlater
01.10.2012 , 11:15 AM | #9
They could just remove the lockboxes altogether and replace it with mission discoveries and recipes. Then the whole point would be moot.

DenverRalphy
01.10.2012 , 11:37 AM | #10
All it boils down to is, on one side people trying to profit easy mode with rich-yield missions complaining they aren't making money from them, and on the other side people point out that slicing is a gathering profession and should harvest nodes for substantial profit.

I'm in the second camp. I only send idle companions on moderate/abundant missions and rarely lose money and overall profit well. And while out in the wild harvest nodes for obscene money. The only time I run Bountiful/Rich/Wealthy/+ missions is when I'm willing to grab a schem or mission to sell on the GTN.

My keys to slicing...
  • Harvest nodes, it's the Slicer's bread and butter. Seriously... it's amazing how many people ignore this.
  • Stick to moderate/abundant missions if you're simply looking for lockbox profit.
  • Don't be afraid to drop to a tier lower tier if you're looking for Rich Yields. Grey/Green Rich Yield missions don't fail or result in a loss nearly as often.
  • Get your affection ratings up. Companion gifts, companion gifts, companion gifts.