Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any well written SW books?

andrew_b_gross
01.09.2012 , 04:59 PM | #1
Are there any SW books that are written at a level beyond normal schlock sci-fi series level? For example, years ago before she "made it", Vonda McIntyre wrote some Star Trek novels that were actually decent.

Note that I'm not asking which novels you liked, or which have cool stories, or neat lore, or whatever; I'm asking whether there are any that are actually well-written by the normal standards that you would apply to a non-genre novel.

Thanks in advance.
Mask of Nihilus: Legacy (30): Meijin | Sentinel (50): Tesuji | Shadow (25): Sente
Defenestrator: Legacy (1): Meijin | Marauder (34): Shusaku

SpawnSC
01.09.2012 , 07:12 PM | #2
check out Heir to the Empire on amazon.com i think they give a sample.

Wylding
01.09.2012 , 07:16 PM | #3
Two words: "I, Jedi."

Kirasavior
01.09.2012 , 07:48 PM | #4
The Thrawn Trilogy written by Timothy Zahn. An amazing series of book, definately what I recommend.
I have altered the deal, pray I do not alter it further...

Baneswrath
01.09.2012 , 08:20 PM | #5
The Darth Bane trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn is excellent!
Through passion I gain knowledge, and through knowledge I gain mastery. Mastery is all that is really needed in the battlefield...

Sibbechai
01.09.2012 , 08:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wylding View Post
Two words: "I, Jedi."
I, Jedi is a great book, have read it many times. Michael A. Stackpole is a good Author, has a few other star wars books which are interesting.

Aileanjeune
01.09.2012 , 08:41 PM | #7
Actually the Thrawn trilogy is not particularly well-written, and it takes a while to get into. Right now I regret purchasing it.
Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Death, yet the Force.

the_parrot
01.09.2012 , 09:05 PM | #8
I have been reading all of the SW EU books through, working my way from the chronological beginning through. I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy.

So far, the best ones have been:

Darth Bane Trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn
Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn
Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss
Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn

Books to avoid:

Red Harvest - one of the worst books I have read, period. Couldn't even finish it.
Anything by Troy Denning. He is a hack, and his books are utterly forgettable. Only read anything by him if you are reading a series that he wrote one of.

BrandonSM
01.09.2012 , 10:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by andrew_b_gross View Post
Are there any SW books that are written at a level beyond normal schlock sci-fi series level? For example, years ago before she "made it", Vonda McIntyre wrote some Star Trek novels that were actually decent.

Note that I'm not asking which novels you liked, or which have cool stories, or neat lore, or whatever; I'm asking whether there are any that are actually well-written by the normal standards that you would apply to a non-genre novel.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to say to you what I said to everyone other book looker.

Find an author you like and follow his/her work.

In my case, I follow Stover, Zahn and, Stewart.

Because if you read by the timeline you won't get far and most likely won't like most books. Like me.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Jerig
01.10.2012 , 12:43 AM | #10
"Decieved" and "Revan" are also excellent and play heavy into the game's lore. "Fatal Alliance" was uuuggghhhhh... I couldn't keep reading it.
But read those two. "Decieved" even has the cinematic written in it - I listened to the music while I read. Epic.
Jerig Saraford - Jedi Knight Myllo Jessik - Smuggler Torion Vale - Bounty Hunter
Coruscant Vanguard Sith Empire Shien RP-PVE Server