Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reasoning behind grating gradual access

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Reasoning behind grating gradual access

JayEdwards
12.14.2011 , 06:13 AM | #1
Originally posted by a Gamespy employee who I believe demonstrates why this early access could be ground breaking. (please note I am as impatient as anyone else. However, there is a method in their madness)

"While BioWare is frustrating its fair share of pre-order customers with its staggered early access launch, if opening day is any indication, the strategy could very well lead to one of the smoothest releases in MMO history. Emphasis on could. It's still too early to tell, but the early returns are promising."

HOW DID IT RUN?

"Yes, for the first day of the early access period at least, The Old Republic ran smoother than a smoothie. To be sure, BioWare and EA are proceeding with caution, but today was still a sizable SWTOR rollout. As of this writing, there were 64 North American servers online with a matching number of European servers, and all of them registered Light to Standard populations throughout the day.

The result was an online experience free of long waits, crashes, or freezes, and latency held steady at 120 ms without significant spikes. In other words, no noticeable lag. I rolled a Sith Empire Chiss Bounty Hunter, and while there were plenty of other guns for hire on the Hutta origin world, I never grew frustrated waiting for quest-linked enemies to repopulate."

PLAYERS RESPONSE?

"General chat in MMOs is often prime real estate for pissed-off players, but on the Dark Reaper server at least, players were overwhelmingly content, partying up for quests, asking general questions, and getting quick, friendly answers.

During my roughly four hours of play today, only one player reported becoming stuck on a texture (with the /unstuck command evidently making the problem worse), and one other reported a quest related bug that forced him to restart his mission from the beginning -- a comment which immediately drew a number of "exploit that XP!" responses. The only time I personally experienced these specific bugs was reading about them in chat.

I pre-ordered SWTOR and registered my early access code roughly 15 minutes after the game officially went on sale on July 21, and as a gamer and Star Wars geek, day one access felt like an ample reward. My first experience with one of the most anticipated games ever was pain free and, more importantly, fun.

Hopefully BioWare and EA will build on this early win as we draw closer to SWTOR's December 20th full launch. There is a long way (and millions of new Republic and Empire players) to go, but thus far the Force is strong with Star Wars: The Old Republic."

I know the wait is incredibly frustrating, but we need to be adults about it. First come first serve basis with the option to play a game early, lets not forget the release date is not until 20th and people ar QQ about it already.

Just thought id have mine and Gamespys say

See you in game...
You mad bro?!