Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Absorption/defense rating

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Absorption/defense rating

khanard
01.09.2012 , 02:45 PM | #1
There is no tool tip in the character sheet that describes or even mentions these. At least I can't find it. In game someone told me that absorption is only for you and that defense also works when guarding another player. Accurate?

And how is absorption calculated in combat? It's a rating not a percentage. My sorc currently has about 45-50 absorption rating, and I wouldn't know for the life of me if it's even helping
And if it is by how much? And is it per attack? Or does the absorption get used up over time while I fight? Or have I fallen prey to the mysterious absorption rating that secretly does nothing?

I realize that a combat log would help in clearing this up, but seeing as there isn't one, does anyone have any insights on the matter?
Kill them all

Pwnyride
01.09.2012 , 02:56 PM | #2
In this game absorb is ~ block amount
defense is ability to avoid attacks
and shield chance is ~ block chance

Each time u proc ur shield the amount that each sheild proc absorbs is determined by absorbtion rating.

Formulas:
Armor Damage Reduction % = ArmorRating / ( ArmorRating + 200 * Level + 800 ) * 100 Note: Caps at 75%
Defense Chance % = 5 + 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( DefenseRating / max(Level,20) ) / 0.55 ) )
Shield/Glance Chance % = BonusOnSheildGenerator + 50 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.5 ) )^( ( GlanceRating / max(Level,20) ) / 0.32 ) )
Shield/Glance Absorption % = BonusOnShieldGenerator + 50 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.5 ) )^( ( AbsorbtionRating / max(Level,20) ) / 0.18 ) )

All these have diminishing returns with Defense having the highest and absorbtion having the lowest.

Thorugh gear alone(Not including talents) I belive the cap for defense is 30%. while absorbtion goes up to approximatly 50% of incoming dmg
(▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀]╬[Pwnyride]╬{▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

khanard
01.09.2012 , 05:03 PM | #3
Ah! Thank you very much. I saw those under the defense drop down in the character sheet, but had no idea which they were a part off. So defense gets a better return in the formula, but you can get a higher absorption, classy, thanks again
Kill them all