Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

Gibbs
01.09.2012 , 03:49 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Syylara View Post
You don't have to be a raider to have an opinion on matters that impact the entire game, which stat mods (and how to access them) most certainly does.
While I agree with you, I might just as well be upfront with it.

I think some innovation to the gear grind (both PvP and PvE) would be good. And the suggestion here is a good one, and a definitive step in the right direction.
The Lightdarker Legacy - (Tomb of Freedon Nadd)
Gibbes, Jedi Shadow - Znophy, Gunslinger
Znobbes, Sith Juggernaut - Znibba, Operative

Alohen
01.09.2012 , 03:55 AM | #22
I dont think It needs actual class gear barter tokens taken, it should drops a couple tokens that can be bartered in FOR ANY class piece ; e.g

First Boss of EV - Drops a Gloves Token, that any class can barter for any Class's Columi Gloves.

Atm Totally Random Class loot is bad, I've won the Columi Legs 3 times now, Its just annoying and unfair to my friends.

I do think dropping Mods COULD work, but When I get End game gear I like to visually show People, What I earned.

Gibbs
01.09.2012 , 04:11 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Alohen View Post
I do think dropping Mods COULD work, but When I get End game gear I like to visually show People, What I earned.
I have figured that there is a want for showing what you have earned. And I can to some extent understand that desire. However, couldn't this be achieved by being rewarded titles? Or schematics for orange gear? (one time use, bop but usable by another crafter, if you don't have the skill, and the equipment crafted would be bound to however the scematic was bound to)? Just thinking of alternatives here.
The Lightdarker Legacy - (Tomb of Freedon Nadd)
Gibbes, Jedi Shadow - Znophy, Gunslinger
Znobbes, Sith Juggernaut - Znibba, Operative

SlyJeff
01.09.2012 , 04:12 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Alohen View Post
I dont think It needs actual class gear barter tokens taken, it should drops a couple tokens that can be bartered in FOR ANY class piece ; e.g

First Boss of EV - Drops a Gloves Token, that any class can barter for any Class's Columi Gloves.

Atm Totally Random Class loot is bad, I've won the Columi Legs 3 times now, Its just annoying and unfair to my friends.

I think the general complaint is that raiding is only one way to earn rewards. Stat upgrades are essential to raid progression, and my belief is that allowing these stats to be earned outside of raids hurts the raid progression cycle because then the gear gets acquired too fast, or people star skipping ahead- all which makes the content get burned through quickly. And really, the stats aren't needed for other end game endeavors. The same goes with PvP stats, which are tweaked differently.

That being said, there are lots of ways people play the game and are successful who will visually want to show off their success- to me raiding is really the only thing that I care enough to work at, but I know PvP, leveling alts (measured through legacy xp), and crafting are other things people spend time on once they hit the max level. If people are going to work through the game in a non-raiding way, they'll want to get rewarded too, and who's to say which is a better way to play the game more worthy of a reward? Really, we ought not to hold our own way of playing above others- and when someone sees the vid of the BA gunslinger space cowboy, they are going to want to be able to have a fun path through the game that will lead to that cool look.

Aleryan
01.09.2012 , 04:25 AM | #25
I would absolutely love this idea, IF they do it right! What they should do is implement the crafting system of SWG where the best gear was all player crafted. Top of the line gear would be socketed, and then raid bosses would drop the very best in mods for those sockets. And some gear that wouldn't be crafted could also drop, like bracers and a few others, so that there would still be a purpose to raiding.

It would be pure win...sandbox crafting plus themepark raiding...why didn't they think of this? At least it can still be done in the future, do it Bioware!

Tirani
01.09.2012 , 06:14 AM | #26
Drop crafting materials, orange armor schematics and mod schematics from raid bosses, that way crafted gear becomes a important part of the game. That way the "best" stats will still come from raiding, but it's not just "purple" drops.
Amethyst Shard a "The Progenitor" guild

L_Starbreeze
01.09.2012 , 06:21 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SlyJeff View Post
What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.
I like this idea, get some orange gear that you already liked and in order to have best stats go to raids and get the mods, interesting....

I wouldn't have to wear something I didn't like the look of to just have stats, have to admit some of the gear I have seen is pretty fugly

Shimaku
01.09.2012 , 06:26 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.
The first thing my guild raided in Cataclysm was the Whale Shark.

Eegorr
01.09.2012 , 06:27 AM | #29
I absolutely love this idea. The thing that has bothered me about all of these games since the beginning of time is how they handle gear -- who the fudge runs around with sixteen chest pieces of full plate (or synth steel) armor in their backpack?

I'm not saying that part should change, but I'm much more in favor of players crafting their own orange gear, and the raid bosses dropping mods (and PvP of course). These mods could be very hard slotted -- this thing only goes into a head slot, for instance, and they could even have set bonuses that they provide and thus we can focus on getting the orange gear.

Now I'm not a PvPer.... but I have read, and this point I can understand, that cosmetic stuff is switched off during PvP so that you can see what type of armor someone is actually wearing. I understand and respect this viewpoint. I'm not sure if this makes this approach unviable for the PvPers, but for the PvEers it would work wonders.

SlyJeff
01.09.2012 , 10:18 AM | #30
Seems to be pretty positive feedback for this- I hadn't thought of how this in terms of craftable oranges, but I see how it would be a nice intersection between sandbox and theme park play.

I think the mod system is really cool, I just would like to see it taken advantage of.