Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What If Raids Dropped No Gear?

SlyJeff
01.09.2012 , 02:51 AM | #1
What if only mods were dropped in raids (and only the best PvE mods) to enable raid progression?

The same could be done with PvP mods for PvP effort, and the best looking orange gear could be purchased with commendations (no mods). Through this system, those that want to grind end game stats (raid or PvP) could, while those who don't want to can still earn the best looking gear in the game.

Seems to me that would allow people to play as casually or hard core as they want, or somewhere in the middle.

ghagleit
01.09.2012 , 02:54 AM | #2
I must say this idea sounds pretty good. +1

Captain_Failure
01.09.2012 , 03:01 AM | #3
It would be easier if the set bonuses for armor carried over orange gear through the armoring mod rather than be determined by the outfit itself. This way you get the best of both worlds:

a) You still need to loot the set pieces through the normal methods.

b) You can move the set bonuses to orange gear to maintain the look you prefer if you so wish.

Conundrum-NSA
01.09.2012 , 03:04 AM | #4
Question:

What if raids dropped no gear at all.

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Ord Mantell Squadron 01

Mandrax
01.09.2012 , 03:06 AM | #5
Personally I would like to see all the cool gear only available from crafters and then you get the mods from bosses in OPs. This way we get rewards from downing bosses, and crafting becomes worthwhile.
Space, is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space...

Syylara
01.09.2012 , 03:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Conundrum-NSA View Post
Question:

Answer:

All the raiders who say they do it for the challenge would be exposed for the liars they are.
Touche'

:9
Syyl'ara - Twi'lek Smuggler Yaan'su - Chiss Agent
www.swtor-rp.com - Roleplaying community and discussion

Conundrum-NSA
01.09.2012 , 03:08 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Syylara View Post
Touche'

:9
Can you tell I despise the entire raid mechanic in MMOs and wish it would die screaming in a fire?
"Some men just want to watch the world burn."
Ord Mantell Squadron 01

Captain_Failure
01.09.2012 , 03:11 AM | #8
Question:

Answer:

But what if some of us do raid for the challenge?

Syylara
01.09.2012 , 03:12 AM | #9
Can you tell I despise the entire raid mechanic in MMOs and wish it would die screaming in a fire?
For myself, it isn't that I despise raiding. To those who inherently enjoy it, I say "good for you." It is the exclusive access to unequaled rewards that I can't stand (and those who demand it).

There are many different forms of "skill" one can demonstrate.
Syyl'ara - Twi'lek Smuggler Yaan'su - Chiss Agent
www.swtor-rp.com - Roleplaying community and discussion

SlyJeff
01.09.2012 , 03:13 AM | #10
Question:

Answer:

Well that's not what I was going for- obviously there has to be some reward to keep people going. That's true of any part of this- if there's no reward for maxing crafting, people won't- if there's nothing to gain from questing, people won't. What if there were no levels and the whole game was just a bunch of quests with no rewards? People wouldn't do them.

But my point is that the mod system could allow BW to keep the stat carrot around (that is really only useful for raiders trying to unlock more hard hitting PvE content) while still letting everyone have access to the best looking gear and earn it in a variety of different ways (and it would still take effort, because the best looking gear could require a metric ton of commendations).