Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

It doesn't matter if you class this as launch or not.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
It doesn't matter if you class this as launch or not.

SinisterWarlock's Avatar


SinisterWarlock
12.14.2011 , 05:28 AM | #1
So many people arguing over if this is launch or not, pages and pages of it under countless threads. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!

Call it what you want, the game is up and people are playing, the "elite" few are getting a big headstart over the majority of players and this just isn't on for a multiplayer game such as an mmo.

I really couldn't give a crap if you personally don't consider this to be launch, or if the official launch is dec 20th. The servers are up, people are playing, there will no more wipes. People are upset for various reasons, because they're falling behind or missing the chance to play with friends and guilds, or because they enjoy being part of the launch day rush, a rare occurance since it's not every day a new mmo launches. Many people like to get server firsts, you might not play for those reasons, but some do, and that is a fact. If you play on a pvp server and got in late, you're already in for a hard time and this competitive part of the game is ruined for many.

But it's not launch you say? One way or another, that doesn't make the slight bit of difference to this.

Bobbyrab's Avatar


Bobbyrab
12.14.2011 , 05:30 AM | #2
Geez...I'm going to go find you an invite myself...

Grammarye's Avatar


Grammarye
12.14.2011 , 05:30 AM | #3
Ahem. Some basics in sales for you (hypothetically)

12th of December: I preorder the game. Total cost to me so far: $0.
17th of December: I ***** & QQ & get into EGA
19th of December: I cancel my preorder. Bioware remove my access because I no longer have an active preorder.
20th of December: The game launches. Cost still to me: $0.

If a retailer charged you for the above, that's their greed/choice, not Bioware's.

This is not launch. Money for the actual game has not changed hands.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

SinisterWarlock's Avatar


SinisterWarlock
12.14.2011 , 05:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by grammarye View Post
ahem. Some basics in sales for you (hypothetically)

12th of december: I preorder the game. Total cost to me so far: $0.
17th of december: I ***** & qq & get into ega
19th of december: I cancel my preorder. Bioware remove my access because i no longer have an active preorder.
20th of december: The game launches. Cost still to me: $0.

If a retailer charged you for the above, that's their greed/choice, not bioware's.

This is not launch. Money for the actual game has not changed hands.
............................................______ __
....................................,.-...................``~.,
.............................,.-...................................-.,
.........................,/...............................................:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....~,_........~,_....................,:`..... ..._/
..........{.._$;_......=,_.......-,_.......,.-~-,},.~;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......=-._......;,,./`..../............../
...,,,___.\`~,......~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

noctivagus's Avatar


noctivagus
12.14.2011 , 05:32 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
Ahem. Some basics in sales for you (hypothetically)

12th of December: I preorder the game. Total cost to me so far: $0.
17th of December: I ***** & QQ & get into EGA
19th of December: I cancel my preorder. Bioware remove my access because I no longer have an active preorder.
20th of December: The game launches. Cost still to me: $0.

If a retailer charged you for the above, that's their greed/choice, not Bioware's.

This is not launch.
So, since I've never bought Aion, Aion hasn't launched yet?

EGA has to be paid for somehow. It's paid for by all of us.

Ariadna's Avatar


Ariadna
12.14.2011 , 05:39 AM | #6
the few elites are getting a whole week. many players that bought CE over 100 euros, and others that had to pay for the headstart code in Europe, won't get in untill the 20th.

by that time every server will be full, we will have to deal with long waiting hours queue, every decent name will be taken, so you will need to name your character something like fk43jwke,

there will be many level 50 players laughing and bragging all day, telling you how smart, and great they are because they preodered the game before than you did.

if you wanted to play on a pvp server, you better get used to the idea to become the punchinbag of every level 50 player, including the exploiters.

SinisterWarlock's Avatar


SinisterWarlock
12.14.2011 , 05:40 AM | #7
Exactly, there's so many reasons why this staggered launch is a bad idea it's hard to even list them all in one place.

Mkvenner's Avatar


Mkvenner
12.14.2011 , 05:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SinisterWarlock View Post
So many people arguing over if this is launch or not, pages and pages of it under countless threads. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE!

Call it what you want, the game is up and people are playing, the "elite" few are getting a big headstart over the majority of players and this just isn't on for a multiplayer game such as an mmo.

I really couldn't give a crap if you personally don't consider this to be launch, or if the official launch is dec 20th. The servers are up, people are playing, there will no more wipes. People are upset for various reasons, because they're falling behind or missing the chance to play with friends and guilds, or because they enjoy being part of the launch day rush, a rare occurance since it's not every day a new mmo launches. Many people like to get server firsts, you might not play for those reasons, but some do, and that is a fact. If you play on a pvp server and got in late, you're already in for a hard time and this competitive part of the game is ruined for many.

But it's not launch you say? One way or another, that doesn't make the slight bit of difference to this.
The funny part is that I am pretty sure that if you would have went in yesterday we wouldn't have this topic from you today.

Grammarye's Avatar


Grammarye
12.14.2011 , 05:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by noctivagus View Post
So, since I've never bought Aion, Aion hasn't launched yet?

EGA has to be paid for somehow. It's paid for by all of us.
Er, what? No it's not, what school of logic did you go to? It's paid for by EA in anticipation of sales. Until people actually send money out of their account to EA, they're the ones holding the can. Your launch statement is so bizarre I don't even know where to begin.

You're both missing the point. Bioware/EA are a business. There is at some point a business transaction that takes place where Bioware/EA owes you a service. Until money has changed hands, they owe you nothing. They can offer something out of good will, but that's their choice.

As for the whole 'I want to be first' thing - well, consider an alternative. No EGA, on the 20th, you're sat in a server queue and still QQIng on the forums. Is that really better? It's an MMO launch - people don't get to decide to be first.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Ariadna's Avatar


Ariadna
12.14.2011 , 05:42 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SinisterWarlock View Post
Exactly, there's so many reasons why this staggered launch is a bad idea it's hard to even list them all in one place.
oh i forgot to mention, that by the 20th. all the bored level 50 players will be rerolling new characters. so yes the starting zones will be worse than tokio at rush hour.