Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Would you like to see a Droid class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Would you like to see a Droid class?

Silversword
03.12.2013 , 11:26 PM | #81
Just adding some kindling to an old ember.

I'd love to see a class like this. I think the main problem people see is 'why would people take orders from a droid' and 'who would want to play a droid'?

To both of these, I'd like to point to what I thought of the Republic Trooper class. Why would you want to essentially play one of those dudes in the funny helmets with famously bad accuracy? Who would take a random grunt seriously? But then you actually get into the campaign and find out how awesome you are and how good it is to blow people up.

I see this as a parallel to a droid class. Yes people would see you with their own prejudices, but you can bet money you wouldn't be some factory battledroid. If this happened, you would be hardcore crazy balls to the wall secret prototype one of a kind battledroid.

Heck, the old republic has a long history of ancient tech... droid technology seems to be older than recorded history. They could even use this and make you a reactivated ancient droid. Sentient but with databanks wiped from millenia of data corruption. Making a deal with either side for their help in recovering your past and searching for your makers while utilizing cannons, rockets, and metal pincers to aid them in return.

See? Its not that hard to make a plot driven story surrounding a droid. Now romance options? Thats rather harder. But maybe you can look to F.I.S.T.O from New Vegas for inspiration. Please assume the position.

Stressfire
03.13.2013 , 01:37 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Silversword View Post
I think the main problem people see is 'why would people take orders from a droid'
Would you want to tell IG-88 "no"?

BIEBERfeverWG
03.13.2013 , 08:37 PM | #83
GATO from Kotor2 anyone? (I hope I spelled his name right.)
Zaalbar Server - Republic Side - Force Sensitives - Vasya

Cleet_Xia
03.14.2013 , 01:30 AM | #84
HEY, the droid class idea has come back around !! There have been dozens of these threads......

A while back I linked in my version of this thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=561462

Between all the threads about this, players have practically designed the class/race/ACs & written a plausible story.

Dear BW, how many players have to show interest in this idea bedfore the story writers start taking a look at some of the things players have suggested? It's expac material......for free........
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Uvirith
03.14.2013 , 03:33 AM | #85
No

/10chars
Uviryth Hammerhand, Kinetic Combat-Shadow
<Founder>

-DG-
03.14.2013 , 09:24 AM | #86
Yes - would be much fun. AND there's even a droid(similair to R2D2) that somehow got the force(it's in an old Starwars magazine, a short story). Not saying droids should nor shouldn't have access to the force, just a urge to share that information.

GregAlia
03.15.2013 , 05:40 AM | #87
Wow! I just stumbled across this thread and thought to myself....What an increadibly clever idea. It's so perfect as new class. I've wondered myself about how, or if they ever introduce a new class, what could it possibly be? In all honesty NOTHING would be more interesting in terms of story line, or just an oppurtunity for the developers to really try and craft something so unique in terms of game play. Like the sniper class, this would be an oppurtinity to bring something unique, new and fresh to mmo's given just the versatility of what you could imagine with a droid. Bravo to the OP and all the other posters who lended thoughts and Ideas to this post. I feel BW would be foolish not to mine this jewel handed to them by there fans. This is it's own GAME! I mean really you could do a whole series on this topic by itself. I'm really blown away at how creative and yet simple this idea is. It's so perfect.

Mistress_Ivi
03.20.2013 , 11:20 AM | #88
If the droid was powered like the Trooper companion droid, by a rare and unique power source - or similiar to that of the HK-series and/or GATO droid...

the only 'large' concern, would be do they get a shared questline or a completely new one?

As for classes, or sub classes - one would be a support + tank and the other could be support + dps lines.
Former SWG Player and Bloody Proud of it!