Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

? for ppl actually playing the game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
? for ppl actually playing the game.

Can-Vi
12.14.2011 , 06:07 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlamorel View Post
Aye! I am not the gaming hardware expert, but I believe console games in general have technological advantages that allow better graphics than a PC, no?
Accualy no mate, even if consoles have better graphics than the regular destop/laptop arround, the fact is, if you are willing to pay 2k+ por a good desktop you will see that they are far ahead from any console arround, just to give you one idea, just my graphic card costed me arround 500 when i bought it... and that, is at least the price of the most expensive console in the market...

Tempuro
12.14.2011 , 06:11 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Acharial View Post
You can force it through CCC and Nvidias control panel. It's very easy.
could you indicate where this option is?
IRA DEORUM is looking for allies for raid flexibility, partnering and plain old fun! Requirements: small guild, imperial, serious focus on end content and willing!

Sky_walkerPL
12.14.2011 , 06:17 AM | #23
Again, not an expert, just seems intuitively that these factors would cater to consoles having an easier time producing better graphics.
No, it's not like that.

Consoles at the time of release (both: PS3, Xbox360 or even Wii) were WORSE than PCs back in the day.
Now we are few years ahead and PCs jumped even further ahead - if you look at the computing power of graphics systems a PC bought last year is roughly 10 times better than Console.

Problem is that: On consoles there's only one set of hardware and drivers. On a PC there's endless amount of combinations. You can hardly push PC to a maximum cause that would essentially limit you to running game only on very specific sets of hardware (like Intel i7 CPU with DX11 nVidia graphics card - tech demos usually run on setups like that). So you'll never see how would game look with 10 times the console processing power. Usually it's closer to 3-4 times.

But even than there's one big factor to consider - developers treat PC market like a crap. Those who don't get rewarded with money, but still major companies like EA or Ubisoft still live in a world where number of games sold on consoles and profits generated by them is much higher than it's on a PC. Therefore very very very few games actually push PCs to the maximum and very very few games are optimality well enough to run properly on a PC. Death of Crysis 2 or Arkham City can be blamed for that even though eventually these games got improved to a reasonable level.

And there's one more factor: Console games run on TVs in 1280x720 without anti-aliasing capped to 30 FPS. Constant resolution and FPS count allows you to perform some.... let's call it: tricks, that make game look better than it actually do if you'd start making print-screens and compare them with PCs. Also having game run on a TV with surround sound gives much better end-user impression than playing on 19'' computer screen with headset Even if you can plug-in PC to a TV and get real 1080p with AA, 7.1 sound and far more details on the screen (higher res textures, higher polygon models, tessellation, and so on).
Sky Legacy, Hydian Way
[COLOR="PaleTurquoise"]Proudly contributed to: Color crystals RE guide DH DB. Created: Imp uniforms list.

Davorn
12.14.2011 , 06:18 AM | #24
I have not noticed a difference in graphics. However they seem smoother. I seem to have a much higher frame rate right now.
-Davorn

JediMasterBurst
12.14.2011 , 06:22 AM | #25
Most of my guild agrees that they are a bit smoother and slightly better than in beta.
Website Mansurus Ordo Forums
Guild Co-Leader, Officer, Founder, Forum Administrator
Survivor of Beta Weekend # 3, 4, and 5

Cass_
12.14.2011 , 06:45 AM | #26
Isn't there the issue, though, that with a console you aren't also having to see things that have to be transmitted via internet (and if they are being transmitted via ethernet like in online shooters, the graphics aren't as good as cutscenes on solo-player console games). Also, that the information is being read off of a disc rather than being loaded onto your computer as you move throughout the environment.

Again, not an expert, just seems intuitively that these factors would cater to consoles having an easier time producing better graphics.
Yes, it's rather obvious that your not an expert.

none of the imagery had to be transmitted, only locations for other players. everything else in done locally.

Cut scenes for most games are what's called pre rendered, they are basically a video of something done on an array of vastly powerful PC's in much slower than real time, they don't represent the graphical quality of anything.

Nazgould
12.14.2011 , 07:34 AM | #27
Aye! I am not the gaming hardware expert, but I believe console games in general have technological advantages that allow better graphics than a PC, no?

I guess in my mind I've always separated MMO graphics from console graphics, so from an MMO mindset, I really enjoy the screenshots I've seen so far. Can't wait to see for myself!
Wrong. PC's in general have much better technological advantages than consoles due to the ability to upgrade pc's. Most consoles are the equivalent of a rather poor PC atm.

HOWEVER all consoles of a certain type have the same specs so a game can be optimized for that hardware and tested thoroughly, MMO takes in such a broad range of hardware levels, operating systems and the like. This would mean that an extremely graphics intensive game would render the poorer PC's unable to play and therefore cut into profits.
Absolute Power Corrupts, Absolutely