Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No matter what the price of an item is...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
No matter what the price of an item is...

Olman
12.13.2011 , 07:40 AM | #1
No matter what the price of an item is on the GTN, if it sells, it is not over priced. Please, lets not get this game off to the start of so many other MMOs where people insist that something is over priced simply because its more than they want to pay.

If its overpriced, it will not sell and they will relist it at a lower price until it does sell. Market demand drives prices, not some arbitrary idea that you had about how they only had to click a button to get an item, therefore they should sell that item for cheap.
DUBSTEP IS NOTHING MORE THAN AN ELECTRONIC DIDGERIDOO!

Boissi
12.13.2011 , 07:43 AM | #2
Obvious and true.

Katnap
12.13.2011 , 07:49 AM | #3
I totally agree here. But then you'll still get people complaining about prices anyway.

Laggmonster
12.13.2011 , 07:53 AM | #4
I'm a long time alt-a-holic, so I've usually had any tradeskill needed covered. The issue often times was that I had to take said alt out to farm a given item and compete with others after the same item. In TOR, with the crew skills, I can sit around in a cantina and send my crew off to farm things for me, so long as it's level appropriate and I have the credits of course.

I don't think people attempting to "corner the market" will be as much of an issue here, so issues with pricing will only affect people who don't have a given crew skill to farm it for themselves, or those that don't have time / patience / desire to level another character to farm an item themselves. The exception of course being instance drops that are unfarmable.

I also heard a rumor that auction fees made constantly reposting an item prohibitively expensive to people attempting to manipulate the market, but have no confirmation yet.

Cronnnik
12.13.2011 , 08:50 AM | #5
OP, have you ever complained about the price of gas but then bought it anyway b/c you had to?

Price gouging is illegal in the real world, but some people don't like to apply real world principles/ethics to games.

Trishot
12.13.2011 , 08:56 AM | #6
I just tend to contact the one selling the item I wish to purchase via mail or a whisper. Most of the time they are willing to cut a deal

Pestwulf
12.13.2011 , 09:14 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cronnnik View Post
OP, have you ever complained about the price of gas but then bought it anyway b/c you had to?

Price gouging is illegal in the real world, but some people don't like to apply real world principles/ethics to games.

Unlike the price of gas, there is no one entity controlling and setting the price of item sales in TOR. Gas is legalized price gouging. A high item on the GTN is like the OP said, it will stay there or sell. What will determine that is more about how many similar items are up for sale and how much they are going for. The price will equal out, and sometimes you get a new trader on the network that has NO CLUE about what the value of what they have is.

If you happen to buy an item from him for 10% of it's actual worth, don't yell at him for undercutting the market, just realize that everyone is new at something when they first try it. Likewise if he has something up for 200%, he will realize his error eventually without the need to ream him out.

ialsoagree
12.13.2011 , 09:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Pestwulf View Post
If you happen to buy an item from him for 10% of it's actual worth, don't yell at him for undercutting the market, just realize that everyone is new at something when they first try it. Likewise if he has something up for 200%, he will realize his error eventually without the need to ream him out.
I once relisted someone's item that was sold for a little less than half market value. Within 5 minutes I got a whisper demanding I give them more money.
Having trouble signing up for game testing? Check this thread out for possible solutions:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=75371
If that doesn't help, post your problem here:
http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=75306

Pestwulf
12.13.2011 , 09:21 AM | #9
Congratulations on teaching him an important lesson in life. LOL!

Seriously though, I'd ask to see his receipt, then stick him on ignore.

Aethos
12.13.2011 , 09:40 AM | #10
People aren't complaining about a price usually...they're complaining about gouging: When someone buys up available (usually rare) resources and resells them at a substantially higher price. When someone corners the market, it's a gamble, but stands to win them a huge margin.

While in the real world, it's illegal, it's kinda fun in games. People complain because it's not fair: Those with the credits to corner a market get to set the prices, but hey, that's business in a truly free-market society.
Originally of SWG Valor ( -V- ) of Eclipse Server
Now playing Republic and Empire on Shadowlands (PVE) server.

Aethos Addirae Andola Arketis Pasal Shadona Shaedo Tevari