Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

SeanC
01.05.2012 , 04:49 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by AZIronman View Post
Everything you mentioned was NGE content, which was when the game was wowified.

Spoken like someone who never played SWG pre-cu. There was no end game pre-cu (besides jedi), the players had to make it. We did make it and it was the most fun in a video game I've ever had. You really don't get player created end game content until you play a game like SWG. This stuff was a daily occurrence on my server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0m9G5ZanA

notice how it's open world. Player created PvP content.
His point still has merit though. One of the main complaints about swg regardless if its pre-cu,cu, or nge, was the fact that there was little to no content for it. Most people don't play sandbox game like they are suppose to, most people want the game to have content made on a regular basis by the dev team.

Wolfninjajedi
01.05.2012 , 04:52 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
His point still has merit though. One of the main complaints about swg regardless if its pre-cu,cu, or nge, was the fact that there was little to no content for it. Most people don't play sandbox game like they are suppose to, most people want the game to have content made on a regular basis by the dev team.
Which is exactly like a themepark MMO, the devs make the content. Many players don't wanna spend hours setting up something, so they all want the devs to do the work for em.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

kaalebpacus
01.05.2012 , 06:22 PM | #13
I think a new Star Wars sand box game would be great. I played Swg and although I came in after the nge I enjoyed the freedom and the community of the sandbox play. If i remember SWG was released to be more of a game like Second Life only based in the Star Wars universe. Community was the big concept here that was lost on players who bought the game expecting a standard theme park mmo and the devs thinking they could cash in on this changed the game radically resulting in killing the style people came to the game to be a part of to begin with. As far as SWG being failure i don't believe an 8 year run is too bad for a mmo.

_Miranda_
01.05.2012 , 06:28 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by DirtyDiggler View Post
there is a great sandbox game that is about to be re-launched. When its relaunched it iwll be good, its called darkfall look it up.
I was so upset when that game turned out to be bad.
~~>Ceridwen<~~
Republic Centurions
An LGBT friendly roleplaying Guild!

Amaste
01.05.2012 , 08:37 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SeanC View Post

Which is why I've accepted that when I play an online game I'll have a character mold/archetype shoved down my throat like I'm unable to create and manage my own fun/experience. <_< (but I'll still secretly long for something that requires effort, thought and perseverance. T.T)
Alcoheälic, Leguim, Dück, Viothin, Amaste

The Harbringer and The Shadowlands

doughboyxx
01.06.2012 , 08:47 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Which is exactly like a themepark MMO, the devs make the content. Many players don't wanna spend hours setting up something, so they all want the devs to do the work for em.
Srry i have to agree with the guy who said you never played it pre cu.

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2012 , 08:48 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by doughboyxx View Post
Srry i have to agree with the guy who said you never played it pre cu.
What does that have to do with anything of what this topic is about?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

BrandonSM
01.06.2012 , 10:54 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TKMaster View Post
Because Sandbox MMO's are sooooo successfull.
Not really, only 1-2 are real successful.

I personally don't like Sandbox games and MMO's. Its just too much and they always end up being lag fests, the only exception I see is Skyrim. But thats really the only Sandbox that doesn't have many problems.

And Bethesda best not touch SW. Skyrim is their only good game, Fallout NV has more glitches than people who've bought the game.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

TrandoshanMarine
01.07.2012 , 02:55 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
What does that have to do with anything of what this topic is about?
Just ignore the whole " U NEVAR PLAI BEFORE PRE-NGE CU" It's just somthing that they throw into their comments to make them feel like they have entitlement to something that isn't there...Just like the people who say they played "Vanilla WoW". I played Pre-NGE/CU and after it...It was a great all around game. The only reason they left was beacuase they didn't want change. Combat was horrific in SWG anyway you put it. Crafting, space, and, roleplay were fine tuned and exceptional.

If someone could take the idea of SWG and refine it...It would be fantastic. SWTOR's story for classes is amazing and emotion evoking, take that and put it into a game where you can do anything you want with repercussions for every one of your actions and you've got yourself the God sandbox MMO.

Lexlo
01.07.2012 , 03:30 AM | #20
The "sandbox" of SWG was more of a PITA than it was worth. The servers also couldn't handle the large map size.