Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Could another SW sandbox game be tried?

Guildrum
01.02.2012 , 12:11 PM | #1
Okay, so let me first say that I have never played SWG, not before any NGE or after, so I have no idea how the game actually worked, but from what I've heard, it was creative fun. And I have also heard that there was just too much to do, and not a lot of direction with the game, leading to it's inevitable fall. This is all second-hand knowledge, but it does make sense that a non WoW-type of an MMO may result in failure.

But, I like sandbox type games, a perfect example of this, is Mount and Blade, where you are a roving mercenary and can enlist yourself and the army you make to a nation, gather up companions that you want and battle enemy nobles, lay siege to castles, or run around looting or even dedicate your game to ridding Calradia of brigands! All of this is fun and well done, so I was thinking, if Lucasarts was willing to try a different kind of sandbox, with a little more direction than SWG, but a little less direction than SWTOR, it could result in a good game.

The ideal time, I think, would be the Dark Times, in between III and IV, as to allow a situation where rebel groups are fostering, and the Empire is still consolidating it's control, what I would assume is a golden age for criminals and smugglers, and the Jedi have yet to be completely exterminated, but incredibly rare. This creates some good fostering ground for story, without needing to create entire new lore in a sense.

I already have a few ideas for the classes, where you start out as one of these classes, but some of them change if you go Empire/Rebels.

Spoiler

These are just ideas and speculations really.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Monopoker
01.02.2012 , 12:31 PM | #2
I think sandbox games are best skill-based rather than class-based. Skyrim's doing it right. A smuggler is a guy who smuggles. A Bounty Hunter is a guy who hunts a lot of bounties.

I think if they ever got the licence that Bethesda would knock a SW sandbox game out of the park.

But Bioware's schtick is cool too!

Guildrum
01.02.2012 , 12:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Monopoker View Post
I think sandbox games are best skill-based rather than class-based. Skyrim's doing it right. A smuggler is a guy who smuggles. A Bounty Hunter is a guy who hunts a lot of bounties.

I think if they ever got the licence that Bethesda would knock a SW sandbox game out of the park.

But Bioware's schtick is cool too!
Don't get me wrong, I love SWTOR, but I was thinking that if we could combine elements of SWG and SWTOR, we could get a fun game to make stories in.
The Shaffer Legacy: Begeren Colony

Shaffer Lazy-eye Horace Sleth
Journalist, Pirate Bodyguard Sith

Wolfninjajedi
01.02.2012 , 12:52 PM | #4
The problem is no one treats a sandbox game as a sandbox game(at least for SWG), everyone was always waiting on the devs to push out content when they were given storyteller vendors and chronicles to make their own stuff. Even if people treated a sandbox game as a sandbox, your still doing the same things over and over again what makes it different then a themepark?

In SWG everyone kept running the same instances over and over again, they farmed the same things for credits, collection badges and the like. In the end in a sandbox game there are some differences, but the main thing is just like any themepark MMO your doing the same thing over and over again.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Bielduwyn
01.02.2012 , 01:30 PM | #5
I don't see it happening, games are expensive to make, and MMOs especially so. It requires a huge investment and huge amounts of effort, and after the relative failure of SWG I don't think anyone is willing to try that again in a hurry. Especially not when the dust of SWG's collapse hasn't settled yet.

TKMaster
01.02.2012 , 02:04 PM | #6
Because Sandbox MMO's are sooooo successfull.

DirtyDiggler
01.02.2012 , 03:31 PM | #7
there is a great sandbox game that is about to be re-launched. When its relaunched it iwll be good, its called darkfall look it up.

Plays like elder scrolls, open world, open pvp, open loot, no safe zones, all out madness and fun. Problem is it sucks right now because they orginally launched the game without any skill cap and with a grind that would make you numb.

After a year or so people who power leveled managed to build god-mode characters and thus new players will just free loot.

Monopoker
01.02.2012 , 03:36 PM | #8
I always thought a minimally multiplayer sandbox game might work though. Think minecraft. Or like a bethesda game with 8 players per server.

Then it's not an MMO culture -- it's personal. Just you and your friends exploring, competing, building, etc. Nobody's going on raids or trading at an auction house. You don't have to minmax to be relevant. Etc.

AZIronman
01.05.2012 , 04:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
The problem is no one treats a sandbox game as a sandbox game(at least for SWG), everyone was always waiting on the devs to push out content when they were given storyteller vendors and chronicles to make their own stuff. Even if people treated a sandbox game as a sandbox, your still doing the same things over and over again what makes it different then a themepark?

In SWG everyone kept running the same instances over and over again, they farmed the same things for credits, collection badges and the like. In the end in a sandbox game there are some differences, but the main thing is just like any themepark MMO your doing the same thing over and over again.
Everything you mentioned was NGE content, which was when the game was wowified.

Spoken like someone who never played SWG pre-cu. There was no end game pre-cu (besides jedi), the players had to make it. We did make it and it was the most fun in a video game I've ever had. You really don't get player created end game content until you play a game like SWG. This stuff was a daily occurrence on my server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0m9G5ZanA

notice how it's open world. Player created PvP content.
SWG vet 03-05
Tempest Aniiken Sidewalker

Wolfninjajedi
01.05.2012 , 04:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AZIronman View Post
Everything you mentioned was NGE content, which was when the game was wowified.

Spoken like someone who never played SWG pre-cu. There was no end game pre-cu (besides jedi), the players had to make it. We did make it and it was the most fun in a video game I've ever had. You really don't get player created end game content until you play a game like SWG. This stuff was a daily occurrence on my server.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0m9G5ZanA

notice how it's open world. Player created PvP content.
Ok so...? There was pvp content made, the main point is though your doing the same things over and over again just like a themepark MMO. The only difference is that theres more room to go through with sandboxes.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.