Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
10.25.2013 , 11:08 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by demotivator View Post
You can even move, you just can't see where you are moving...

I'm not even sure why they added that splash screen when loading an area because there was definitely none when the game launched.

I'd rather be able to freely move around (like when you exit your hangar bay and use the elevator on the flee) at the cost of a lot of clipping because the area is still loading than wait passively.
True, try press autorun to confirm this. The character almost always end up trying to run up a wall or a tree

Dawginole's Avatar


Dawginole
10.25.2013 , 12:30 PM | #62
SSD will drastically speed up those screens with the exception of Correllia which I guess is just a giant resource hog or something.
Soon.™*
*Soon.™: Bioware Corp, Inc. All rights reserved. "Soon.™" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon.™" shall make no contract or warranty between Bioware and the end user. "Soon.™" will arrive some day, however Bioware does guarantee that "Soon.™" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "Soon™" as Bioware will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "Soon.™". Thank you for your patience.

ImpactHound's Avatar


ImpactHound
10.25.2013 , 12:39 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by demotivator View Post
You can even move, you just can't see where you are moving...

I'm not even sure why they added that splash screen when loading an area because there was definitely none when the game launched.

I'd rather be able to freely move around (like when you exit your hangar bay and use the elevator on the flee) at the cost of a lot of clipping because the area is still loading than wait passively.
In beta there wasn't an overlay for some loads, so occasionally you might see a colored void or the parallaxing background with no terrain, and then for 5-10 seconds you'd see terrain pop in slowly and then finally widgets and doodads like plants and crates with NPCs last. It's not bad on a hangar, but with story instances in dangerous places like Lord Grathan's Estate autorun might send you running into a pack of enemies and die.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
10.25.2013 , 01:53 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by imtrick View Post
Throw insults all you like. I've been working with PC's since before most people here were born, and my system runs just fine. I know there is a lot of activity going on during those load times, but I also know from seeing it first-hand that having a fast hard drive doesn't make those planet loading screens go by noticeably faster. I'm not making this stuff up. I've seen it.

Yes, in some cases there's a minor difference of a second or two that I pop in before my friend does. Most times, there's no difference at all, even though my machine would eat his for lunch.

I'm only talking about planet loads, which seem to take the longest... and they seem to vary, which would be very consistent with waiting for data from an external source.
I agree with this. While HD and memory make a slight difference, there is a bottleneck somewhere else that hampers everyone involved. Try loading into S&V with a bunch of people in VoIP...it doesn't seem to matter if you have 8GB ram or 32GB and it doesn't seem to matter if you run a SSD or a HDD - the load times are nearly identical for everyone involved.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Asavrede's Avatar


Asavrede
10.26.2013 , 04:12 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Icestar View Post
No point in arguing, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Time will tell who is right IF they create a better client.
Well yours is an opinion - mine is fact. So yeah no point in arguing if you're just going to make stuff up.

Adwynyth's Avatar


Adwynyth
10.26.2013 , 04:42 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawginole View Post
SSD will drastically speed up those screens with the exception of Correllia which I guess is just a giant resource hog or something.
Even with an SSD, Tatooine still takes almost half a minute. I don't see any disk access happening, so I'm presuming there's something else at work. Also got 16GB RAM.
Horrendously bad fan fiction: Sith in a Pretty Dress

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
10.26.2013 , 06:21 AM | #67
What surprises me is that I never seem to see that OS's cache to be adding to the speed. The loading time is almost identical when I get from Hoth onto my ship, and from my ship onto Hoth again.
That's subjective, though. I think that I'd need to test it again, but more recently it looked to me like that.

It's to me almost as if SWTOR war making more or less random harddisk access, not a serial one.
Which could perhaps even be true, depending how the art is stored within the files ...
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
10.26.2013 , 06:47 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Asavrede View Post
Well yours is an opinion - mine is fact. So yeah no point in arguing if you're just going to make stuff up.
Then you say that all that writes about a 64-bit client (there are hundreds of posts here) and lots of posts on other forums writing about the advantages of a 64-bit client over a old 32-bit client are wrong.

Perhaps you should read more before your claim that I make things up.

demotivator's Avatar


demotivator
10.27.2013 , 06:34 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
What surprises me is that I never seem to see that OS's cache to be adding to the speed. The loading time is almost identical when I get from Hoth onto my ship, and from my ship onto Hoth again.
That's subjective, though. I think that I'd need to test it again, but more recently it looked to me like that.
The worst part is when you are switching instance and the game fully load the area again, like it can't use what was already loaded earlier.
Randomizing your forums.

Lord_Ravenhurst's Avatar


Lord_Ravenhurst
10.27.2013 , 06:49 AM | #70
SSD helps a lot, really

get one, but get a good one.