Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

IPaq
01.01.2012 , 11:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by imtrick View Post
Throw insults all you like. I've been working with PC's since before most people here were born, and my system runs just fine. I know there is a lot of activity going on during those load times, but I also know from seeing it first-hand that having a fast hard drive doesn't make those planet loading screens go by noticeably faster. I'm not making this stuff up. I've seen it.

Yes, in some cases there's a minor difference of a second or two that I pop in before my friend does. Most times, there's no difference at all, even though my machine would eat his for lunch.

I'm only talking about planet loads, which seem to take the longest... and they seem to vary, which would be very consistent with waiting for data from an external source.
Don't boast. It looks bad when you cant:

. Come up with ways to figure out what's happening;
. Figure out solutions;

So figure out which system is holding you back... it ain't hard since, now, you have the solution

PS: I'm not going to bore ppl with my RL activities...

PS1: What insult? People keep complaining the game is crap, they keep telling us they are computer gods, and they can't/won't even do the simplest task as the ones I listed.

Rheemus
01.01.2012 , 11:40 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by IPaq View Post
Really?

You guys cannot understand or even bother looking at the Task Manager / GPU Monitoring during a loading screen and see what's happening?

If you did you'll see the FB goes to 0% at 25% load, swtor.exe getting more memory while HD read goes up to 100%, then the FB usage climbing while the GPU goes to 99%. When everything is loaded, my FB is up to 17%, the GPU drop to ~50%, HD to almost 0%, and ~25% for the CPU Cores.

Sad.

PS: Solution, get your putter to a "real" computer guy and have him fix it properly. My load time is under 20s and my putter barely cost 1k to build.
Sorry this is pure nonsense.

I have a PC custom boutique, and have been building true high end rigs for 14 years now.

We have tried last couple of days with borh ultra highend machines with Raid 0 SSD arrays with almost 1750 MB (Mega Bytes not bits !) throughput the latest AMD and Nvdia GPU s , loads of RAM and so on, and compared them side by side with some 2, 5 and even 6 year old PC we had lying around in the storage room.

The difference on planet or shard switching loading screens only benefit a little from being run on the ultra high end rigs compared to the older ones. We also tried pdifferent ISP internet connections that peer on different backbone structure to rule that out.

Yes a highend machine is ofcourse always better than an older one, but you wont see the big improvement the hardware should warrant.

The problem or bottleneck lies at Biowares end, unfortunately.

funkin
01.01.2012 , 11:42 PM | #23
I have a question related to this topic:

Any idea why my loading times are always higher while logging into certain characters? My main takes a lot longer than my alt.
SWG: Mengo Yazi - Northland Alliance - Rebel - Ahazi
WoW: Funkin - Hunter - Horde - Proudmoore

Rheemus
01.01.2012 , 11:43 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by funkin View Post
I have a question related to this topic:

Any idea why my loading times are always higher while logging into certain characters? My main takes a lot longer than my alt.
Likely a different planet or if not a differnt shard its loading from.

funkin
01.02.2012 , 12:06 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rheemus View Post
Likely a different planet or if not a differnt shard its loading from.
It happens even if I log from the same spot. I think it's something related to the how I setup the characters.. shrug
SWG: Mengo Yazi - Northland Alliance - Rebel - Ahazi
WoW: Funkin - Hunter - Horde - Proudmoore

Eegorr
01.02.2012 , 12:11 AM | #26
I've found something that surprises me greatly.

When there are hardly no people around (like imperial fleet right now) the game loads really fast. I first noticed this on my ship, which I thought made sence since it's much less graphical content to load, but try logging in to the imperial fleet at peak hours and at off hours and tell me if you see a difference or not.

I can understand the framerate dropping when lots of people are around, but the load time for the zone? Surely not. Something seems fishy.

IPaq
01.02.2012 , 07:40 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rheemus View Post
Sorry this is pure nonsense.

I have a PC custom boutique, and have been building true high end rigs for 14 years now.

We have tried last couple of days with borh ultra highend machines with Raid 0 SSD arrays with almost 1750 MB (Mega Bytes not bits !) throughput the latest AMD and Nvdia GPU s , loads of RAM and so on, and compared them side by side with some 2, 5 and even 6 year old PC we had lying around in the storage room.

The difference on planet or shard switching loading screens only benefit a little from being run on the ultra high end rigs compared to the older ones. We also tried pdifferent ISP internet connections that peer on different backbone structure to rule that out.

Yes a highend machine is ofcourse always better than an older one, but you wont see the big improvement the hardware should warrant.

The problem or bottleneck lies at Biowares end, unfortunately.
And?

I have no issue with the loading, since I understand the process involved.

If you keep refusing to understand it and thinks that throwing thousands of bucks of hardware on it will solve anything you really should take a second and rethink your approach.

In the mean time. Me and my 6GB Ram, 2.9Ghz i7, old crappy 3Gbps 3ware 9650SE and brand new GTX 560 TI will continue to enjoy the fastest loading possible.

Dantistas
01.02.2012 , 07:43 AM | #28
Honestly, I've never experienced so long load times in any game, and I've played a lot of new games recently.

Whash
01.02.2012 , 07:49 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Dantistas View Post
Honestly, I've never experienced so long load times in any game, and I've played a lot of new games recently.
Same here. The "get a real computer" brigade seems to be missing this point. I have perfectly normal load times in every other game I play, it's just TOR that I experience this.

Super fast (nearly instantaneously) load bar movement right up to about 25%, and then everything just grinds to a halt and it sits there playing music and in-game sounds (I can hear people running past for example) for the next couple minutes while the bar stays put. Then suddenly *poof*, I'm in the game and everything is running perfectly smoothly... the bar never even visibly filling the rest of the way.

tharbison
10.24.2013 , 09:52 AM | #30
Bump! The last post on this thread is approaching 2 years old. I didn't find any other threads with suggestions.

Has anyone had luck tweaking settings to reduce load times on planets?