Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What is the bottleneck to make loading screens faster?

Britainftw
01.01.2012 , 10:12 PM | #11
It's not a loading screen.

It's an overlay, that covers your screen during the loading animations.

IPaq
01.01.2012 , 10:14 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Britainftw View Post
It's not a loading screen.

It's an overlay, that covers your screen during the loading animations.
Yeah, sometimes the overlay dont cover the sides... and you can see a few pixels on the right and left side of the window loading up =D

Mephane
01.01.2012 , 10:39 PM | #13
The thing about load times - they once were much better. During the last weeks of beta I filled out several forms where I stated that I found the load times 'acceptable'. But after one of the maintenances around EGA and Release Day, suddenly load times went up for everyone drastically. And no matter where I go or log in, the progress bar always halts for a long time at about 25%. Like, absolutely always.

To make matters worse - try switching your instance. You'll get the full loading screen experience despite staying on the same planet, in the same spot. They are unloading the entire data and reloading it again. This makes me think that somehow, previously assets that were being kept in use were also kept in memory, while now everything is purged entirely and then loaded from scratch.

Which, to me, looks like a very cheap band-aid fix to a memory leak. Instead of fixing the leak, the game just dumps it all and loads it anew.
Ceterum censeo chat bubbles addenda et party bomb reddendum esse.
---
The Alot is Better Than You at Everything

Zebular
01.01.2012 , 10:45 PM | #14
When I overclock my ATI, the loading screens seem to take less time to load -as opposed to when I forget to switch to my overclocking settings and log in.

I can surely tell a huge difference in gameplay performance, both in the game and the loading screens, when I have my ATI overclocked.

*disclaimer - Overclocking can destroy your PC an voids your Warranties.
~Zebular, Miraluka Jedi Shadow of the Zebulon Order (The Ebon Hawk)
■■■■۝▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

IPaq
01.01.2012 , 10:46 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Zebular View Post
When I overclock my ATI, the loading screens seem to take less time to load -as opposed to when I forget to switch to my overclocking settings and log in.

I can surely tell a huge difference in gameplay performance, both in the game and the loading screens, when I have my ATI overclocked.
Well OCing help setting up the textures in the card memory.

Boefje
01.01.2012 , 10:54 PM | #16
SSD definitelly
I'll make you a little movie about loading times now and post it later, then see for yourself.
My system is:

Asus P8Z68-V PRO
i5 2500k stock
8gb DDR3 Ram
Evga GTX 570 SC
OCZ Agility 3 (RUnnin Windows)
OCZ Vertex 3 (Running the games inclusive SWTOR)

Then you can compare my loading times with yours.

imtrick
01.01.2012 , 11:07 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Fappa View Post
Is it your internet connection? Hard drive (and thus an SSD would help)? Is it your CPU?

Or is it just the servers that we have no control over?
It's not likely something you have much control over. My machine here is a beast with lots of RAM, good video and a fast SSD. I play with a friend on a much lower-grade machine, and our load times are almost identical. Some planets just take forever to load up, and when they do, they take forever for both of us.

I suspect some of it is the speed data comes down over the network, and if that's the case there's not much to be done.
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community

IPaq
01.01.2012 , 11:13 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by imtrick View Post
It's not likely something you have much control over. My machine here is a beast with lots of RAM, good video and a fast SSD. I play with a friend on a much lower-grade machine, and our load times are almost identical. Some planets just take forever to load up, and when they do, they take forever for both of us.

I suspect some of it is the speed data comes down over the network, and if that's the case there's not much to be done.
Really?

You guys cannot understand or even bother looking at the Task Manager / GPU Monitoring during a loading screen and see what's happening?

If you did you'll see the FB goes to 0% at 25% load, swtor.exe getting more memory while HD read goes up to 100%, then the FB usage climbing while the GPU goes to 99%. When everything is loaded, my FB is up to 17%, the GPU drop to ~50%, HD to almost 0%, and ~25% for the CPU Cores.

Sad.

PS: Solution, get your putter to a "real" computer guy and have him fix it properly. My load time is under 20s and my putter barely cost 1k to build.

RaizNHell
01.01.2012 , 11:14 PM | #19
I'm running an AMD Phenom x6 1100t with 12 gigs of ram and SLI GeForce 550ti. Loading still can seem to take a while. I have a 5 year old HD in this machine, so I'm assuming it's very HD dependent.

imtrick
01.01.2012 , 11:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by IPaq View Post
Really?

You guys cannot understand or even bother looking at the Task Manager / GPU Monitoring during a loading screen and see what's happening?

If you did you'll see the FB goes to 0% at 25% load, swtor.exe getting more memory while HD read goes up to 100%, then the FB usage climbing while the GPU goes to 99%. When everything is loaded, your my FB is up to 17%, the GPU drop to ~50%, HD to almost 0%, and ~25% for the CPU Cores.

Sad.

PS: Solution, get your putter to a "real" computer guy and have him fix it properly. My load time is under 20s and my putter barely cost 1k to build.
Throw insults all you like. I've been working with PC's since before most people here were born, and my system runs just fine. I know there is a lot of activity going on during those load times, but I also know from seeing it first-hand that having a fast hard drive doesn't make those planet loading screens go by noticeably faster. I'm not making this stuff up. I've seen it.

Yes, in some cases there's a minor difference of a second or two that I pop in before my friend does. Most times, there's no difference at all, even though my machine would eat his for lunch.

I'm only talking about planet loads, which seem to take the longest... and they seem to vary, which would be very consistent with waiting for data from an external source.
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community