Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Logitech G13 and SWTOR

Malefik
02.22.2012 , 09:04 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by djpostman View Post

I know what you mean, it takes some getting used to, but once you've trained yourself and get used to it there's no going back. My ONLY problem with the g13 is the radius of the thumbstick, in that, you have to move the thumbstick pretty far for it to activate versus some other game pads, namingly the saitek cyborg which is a great gamepad if saitek could make **** that doesn't break in 3 months and software that doesnt require an engineering degree to use.
I currently use a saitek. The stick is getting fairly sloppy and I was thinking about a G13. I have the palm button set to a shift state where my stick changes from foward, reverse,turn movement to foward,reverse, turn&strafe right and left. I palyed a warg in LOTRO and that made me be able to circle a target while still facing him. Great for fighting Hunters. Although like you said it took some trial and fail to set it up the time was worth it. Can this be done on a G13?? While the Saitek is a pain to program and I seem to need a refresher corse evey time I have to program it, its options are good.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999

HeadwarP
03.04.2012 , 12:23 AM | #22
this thread is a little old but while I don't know if there is a shift state (every thing is so programmable I probably haven't looked at every option" the g13 has 3 mode buttons so you can have 3 profiles set up for each game. You can make 2 profiles the exact same except for the changes you want in movement on your thumbstick and just switch between m1 and m2 and have m3 set up for something completely different if you want.

Personally I just use the thumbstick for strafing and back and forward and usually just asign it to the arrow keys on my keyboard and strictly use my mouse for turning as it is much faster than keyboard turning any day.

I first switched to my g13 playing wow back in Wrath very shortly after Uldamon came out and it improved my game SO much having each of my hunter's abilities assigned to a hot key that I also bought a razer Naga, and between the two I don't have to touch my keyboard to play the game unless I'm typing. I only use one of the 3 modes on my g13 at that.

I only wrote this because I have just pulled my g13 out to use with my new laptop that I've been dreading programming all the keys and setting bindings on all of my swtor toons individually but...

you can't go wrong with this thing. it took me about 1 week to get used to it, and about 2 to master and I'm abuot to go through the same process again because I've been playing swtor without it. But not having to ever click on an ability increases reaction time and awareness 10x. Guaranteed.

It is much easier to get used to if you use it from the time you create your charactor on up binding keys to hotbars as you go. switching to it after all your hotbars are already full definately takes a bit of reprogramming of your muscle memory.

poobacca
03.06.2012 , 05:28 PM | #23
I love my G13 but have been having issues with it not working (specifically usually 2 directions of the thumbstick) with SWTOR sometimes. I have to unplug it and plug it back in. Then it works fine till I log out of the game and log back in later. Not sure if I have a defective G13 or if it is some driver issue.

As a side note, I hated the thumbstick it came with (too pointy), so I swapped it for a gamepad thumbstick. Works like a charm and is comfortable.

I read that someone does mouse turning(I have a G700, so 13 more buttons to map). Can someone explain how that works? How do you set it up for mouse turning?
Poobacca - The forever almost elder jedi

ChuckNorse
03.07.2012 , 07:04 AM | #24
I am on the fence about getting one. I am torn between the G13 or the Razer MMO with all the buttons on the side. I can not afford both now, but I want to get something to give me an edge. I am an amateur at MMO due to the real word getting in the way of my fun I suck pretty bad now and I was hoping a better set up will help.

Nexdine
03.07.2012 , 07:28 AM | #25
I don't have the G13 but I do have the Belkin Nostromo (which is very close to the Razer Nostromo... the Razer product is a refined version of the Belkin they bought.) And I really don't like the concept for an MMO.

It's fine in games where you're just gaming and shooting stuff I suppose, but this is a social game that has no built-in voice options. Which means in order to be even slightly social you need the full keyboard so you can type at people. Which means there's no point in shifting your hand back and forth to a pad uncomfortably placed on the side of the keyboard, when the keyboard itself is more convenient.

The Razer Naga mouse makes a lot more sense for an MMO, in my opinion. That leaves you the full keyboard and gets you a ton of mappable and macroable buttons on the mouse itself.

I'd even take a Logitech G15 keyboard or a Razer Anansi with their dedicated macro buttons over a G13 for an MMO - for any FPS player, using WASD and a mouse is the only way to game anyway, can't beat the precision, and getting extra macro keys for heals for instance would be great.

Personally I make do with a regular mouse and my regular ergonomic keyboard; I just create my few macros the "hard way", with Autohotkey and running the game windowed and use keys on the keyboard not being used for other things for those.

Nilmot
05.02.2012 , 06:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Nexdine View Post
I don't have the G13 but I do have the Belkin Nostromo (which is very close to the Razer Nostromo... the Razer product is a refined version of the Belkin they bought.) And I really don't like the concept for an MMO.

It's fine in games where you're just gaming and shooting stuff I suppose, but this is a social game that has no built-in voice options. Which means in order to be even slightly social you need the full keyboard so you can type at people. Which means there's no point in shifting your hand back and forth to a pad uncomfortably placed on the side of the keyboard, when the keyboard itself is more convenient.

The Razer Naga mouse makes a lot more sense for an MMO, in my opinion. That leaves you the full keyboard and gets you a ton of mappable and macroable buttons on the mouse itself.

I'd even take a Logitech G15 keyboard or a Razer Anansi with their dedicated macro buttons over a G13 for an MMO - for any FPS player, using WASD and a mouse is the only way to game anyway, can't beat the precision, and getting extra macro keys for heals for instance would be great.

Personally I make do with a regular mouse and my regular ergonomic keyboard; I just create my few macros the "hard way", with Autohotkey and running the game windowed and use keys on the keyboard not being used for other things for those.
This is just silly. You have to pull your hand off the mouse to type just as much as you would have to pull it off the G13.

I find the best way to 'move' is to combine mouse-look and movement with the G13 joystick, the same way you would use the mouse with asdw. Use the mouse to toggle strafing and quick looks, use the G15 to maintain movement when the mouse is needed for other things.

MacroPhotoFly
06.09.2012 , 09:09 PM | #27
Just spotted the latest version of the G13 Software (6th May 12) has support for SWTOR and there is a specific profile for it. Just downloaded and haven't tried it yet, but will let you know how it goes. I found it here http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/411/51...tion=downloads

joenewbie
07.07.2013 , 07:21 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Lythir View Post
I've been using a G13 for a few years now, first in AoC to improve my mobility while casting / blocking, then in WoW as I went back for a fix of their latest junk. I simply wouldn't want to play an MMO without it now, or in fact any game.

The joystick is mapped to WASD so I can fire off any of the 22 main keys without stopping circle strafing. If you choose to map abilities here instead you're going to lose use of four of your buttons or have to keyboard turn with your right hand, and both are not ideal.

G1-G22 are mapped to my most commonly used abilities - with the most needed sitting on G3-G5/G10-G12/G16-G18. The stretch keys (ones I need to reach for) get lesser abilities or ones on long CDs, like temporary buffs. G20-G22 often have stance changes or in SWTOR medpacks, stims, etc. G23 and G24 are unmapped currently becuase I have to be stationary to use them. I might map the after death buff sequence to one of them.

In games like WoW I mapped a completely different set of keys for situational use - like having to drive a vehicle - or gathering resources which had me mounting and flying up a lot (none of which is useful in general play)

Now those who are level 30 or higher no doubt have more than 22 abilities which they would like to key activate - I personally have about 42. To get them all mapped I have my mouse 5 key mapped to my alt key forming a shifted key when used at the same time as the G13.

e.g. G10/G11/G12 are mapped to '1', '2', and '3' so I can make conversation choices without moving my hand. Alt 2 is mapped to my ability to remove DoTs, so in PVP all I need to do is hold down my mouse key and press G11 - and DoTs be gone!

With the addition of alt modifiers (or ctrl if you like) on the mouse I can easily access 44 keys - which is enough for my gameplay style - all while maintaining a good circle strafe.

Once you're used to it, the G13 is a significant advantage.
I'm curious how you are doing this mapping of abilities, are you putting them in hotkeys first and then mapping the hotkey to the key on the pad? I just bought this and want to learn how to map it out, near as I can figure I'm gonna have to spend an hour mapping them to keyboard keys first and then using the gampad as a shortcut to those keys, rather than just assigning abilities directly.

If that's how it works I'm gonna have a long day tomorrow figuring and planning it out. But it will surely be worth it when I can lay out rotations faster than the point and click method I've been using.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.

SkunkWerks
07.07.2013 , 07:27 AM | #29
G13 in one hand, Razer Naga in the other. I don't touch my keyboard unless it's to type a message.

Keyboards aren't designed for playing games, really (in fact, they aren't really even designed for typing; not kidding, look it up). I've got no idea why people remain so attached to them for that purpose.

My hands are too damn big to use one- even for typing. I've got to twist and contort my fingers around in really painful ways to reach all the keys. Now the G13 was actually designed with a human hand- playing games- in mind.

So yeah, I totally rock that thing.

joenewbie
07.07.2013 , 08:05 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by SkunkWerks View Post
G13 in one hand, Razer Naga in the other. I don't touch my keyboard unless it's to type a message.

Keyboards aren't designed for playing games, really (in fact, they aren't really even designed for typing; not kidding, look it up). I've got no idea why people remain so attached to them for that purpose.

My hands are too damn big to use one- even for typing. I've got to twist and contort my fingers around in really painful ways to reach all the keys. Now the G13 was actually designed with a human hand- playing games- in mind.

So yeah, I totally rock that thing.
I just got this so I realize I have to retrain muscle memory and whatnot to be able to use it, but I don't even want to start that till I have things programmed the way I want it so I can get used to it the way I intend to use it.

Having said that I like keyboards for typing, as such I've only used my mouse to play SWTOR till now, yes, that trackball jumping from one on screen button to the next is clunky hence the upgrade to the gamepad.

Once I finally have it programmed and have a week to get used to it I expect my game experience will increase 10 fold. Just wish there was an easy way to program this thing. *sigh*
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.