Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

High Latency at Random Times ??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
High Latency at Random Times ??

MyTallest
12.31.2011 , 03:26 PM | #1
I just realized that I may have posted this in the wrong forum so I am re-posting it here. Here is my original post.

I know this might have been posted already and if it was please do not flame me just kindly point me in the correct direction. I am experiencing a very interesting issue. Every once and while during game play my latency will spike up into the hundred of thousands my highest to date is 425,465 MS it stops wait wait wait and then resets back down to my normal most of the time of 50 ms and it is fine for a time then back up it goes. I have somewhat of a high end system AMD 64 FX2 5200 8gb ram Geforce 260 GTX. If anyone else getting the same at random times??? My network is fine as I run TS at the same time and experience NO lag on that program at all. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

EDIT: I have ran the launcher Repair tool to make sure all my files are up to date and correct.

EDIT: 01/01/2012
TO THE CSR WHO DOES PICK THIS UP AS THEIR ISSUE
Please do not handle this by quoting some FAQ article or blaming our internet or network or client files. This is a real issue that should be kicked to either the Server Engineers or the DEVS to take a look at. I have several wireshark capture logs to send to you when needed. Believe me when I tell you I am not a novice in the realm of IT/NETWORK issues. So before you go blaming my network IT IS NOT I promise you. No offense meant by the rant. I have done CSR work myself and I know it will be tempting to just paste a FAQ link and called it SOLVED that will NOT help.

EDIT: 01/05/2012
Well after two nights of play with my ports open ( 8995,12000-12999,20000-30000) I have had nothing by lag free play it is great. I did not get a chance to test if it will LAG out still if I close the ports I am going to try that tonight and report back. FOLKS this thread is NOT for those getting Error 9000. There is a thread for Error Code 9000 it is here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=134060 It seems they are patching almost daily I am hoping that someone will pick up this issue and look into it. I am still feeling their UPNP code is messed up a bit and it needs to be looked at.

MyTallest
12.31.2011 , 05:53 PM | #2
bump

Shmooglavoue
12.31.2011 , 05:59 PM | #3
I'm experiencing a similar problem. Only when sometimes the latency shoots up through the roof, it disconnects me after a while. It appears to be completely random, and my internet itself works fine even during these lag spikes.
The Geth from Mass Effect are like the opposite of humanity. Whereas the Geth get smarter when their numbers increase, the more people you toss into a room the more their average I.Q. drops. However, a single Geth is essentially a beast, but nearly every single person is capable of genius.

MyTallest
12.31.2011 , 06:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Shmooglavoue View Post
I'm experiencing a similar problem. Only when sometimes the latency shoots up through the roof, it disconnects me after a while. It appears to be completely random, and my internet itself works fine even during these lag spikes.
Thank you for posting on my post. I was hoping I was not the only person getting this issue. I have been back and forth through my network making sure all my settings in my router / tcp stack and such were all correct. My Internet also aside from the game is fine I remain on TeamSpeak with no issues. This is not going to sound right but YAY for someone else having this issue "LOOK MA I'M NOT CRAZY " !!!!

dubq
12.31.2011 , 06:13 PM | #5
Same issue here. I've posted several times in other threads. I don't want to hear any excuses from CSRs blaming my internet.. My internet and network is a-ok.. This issue has been poppin up since the last patch. Hopefully they fix it as its getting more frequent for me (Shadowlands server) and is quite annoying.

xtremenw
12.31.2011 , 06:18 PM | #6
I am having the same issue. I have been having it for the last several days and I thought it was my setup. I have since run diag on my machine (Asus G60 - i5, GTX 360, 8GB RAM, Win7 64), my router, my switches, wifi, cabling. I finally realized that when _my_ game was not lagging, i would see other people start to twitch. Lag _ALWAYS_ happens at the wrong time (chit-chat, blah blah, choose, #3 - Attack chat option, LAG... DIE.) Died on a mission twice today and wrote this while waiting for the medical probe cool down. Finally got it to settle down only to kill two more groups and disconnect.

I like this game so much more than any of the other options. Game out less than two weeks has fewer in-game issues (bugs) then a game that has been around since 2004. Looking at you Blizz[t]ard!!!

PLEASE FIX THE LAG! I am on a standard population server and getting lab. ???

Oh, and if it is my network, then why do I have the same issue at home as I do at the office? I have Comcast at home, and DSL through AT&T at the office? It is not the reagin also because I don't lag to my WoW server in Phoenix, AZ and I picked a West Coast SWTOR server...

augustgrace
12.31.2011 , 06:24 PM | #7
Same issue. It would be nice if someone official would acknowledge this issue.

Problem seems to pop up getting in the afternoon and then progressively gets worse into the evening, then gets better after prime time.

renegadeimp
12.31.2011 , 06:26 PM | #8
If its erratic like that, then the signs are pointing towards an ISP issue. They might be throttling you, especially if it is around the same times each day, maybe with a letup for a day or so.
Streamline - A guide to speeding up low - mid range Computer systems.
Latency Thread - Latency issue gathering thread..
Have a tech issue you need help with? You can nomally find me on the Customer Support forum.

dubq
12.31.2011 , 06:50 PM | #9
It happens all the time for me. Usually with about 30 minutes in between spikes. I am on Rogers Internet in Toronto, and they're definitely not throttling. They used to do it years ago with WOW but our government brought the hammer down on them for it so I doubt they would start doing it again randomly..

MyTallest
01.01.2012 , 05:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by renegadeimp View Post
If its erratic like that, then the signs are pointing towards an ISP issue. They might be throttling you, especially if it is around the same times each day, maybe with a letup for a day or so.
I would agree with you on the throttling but I am on a business class DSL throttling is Forbidden on these types of lines at least here in the State of Utah. I did however send up a ticket on the line to make sure the DSLAM is not playing stupid it the circuit. I ran a file transfer 2 gb in size to a remote box I have access that is on a 50 x 50 and on the upside it was a constant 1.5 mb upload after it was on the remote machine I then downloaded it from the machine on a non-standard port 6565 and it pulled down at 17 mb with no bump in traffic. I know it sounds I am bragging but there be the facts. I will keep you informed with more info.