Potential false advertising by Bioware???

Cybrias

"Impressive is the only word that describes Nico’s swashbuckling duster; you can be sure that wearing this duster sets you apart from other heroes."

If the images of the Nico duster are true does the above not constitute false advertising by bioware since you have to be subscribed to get the coat but you can make the coat with dye already in game?

They recycle everything, its amusing people spend tons of money to buy packs to get decorations that have been in the game since launch......This is wut happens when a failed MMO goes free to play.
Yet you keep paying to play.
His post is only complaining about cartel market, decorations, cartel based achievements-collections. There's the whole rest of the MMO, the actual subscriber part, that he could enjoy. Edited by Falensawino

They recycle everything, its amusing people spend tons of money to buy packs to get decorations that have been in the game since launch......This is wut happens when a failed MMO goes free to play.

Decorations werent even at launch, I think the decor only came out a year ago, the game started back in 2011. Also the CM wasn't even introduced into the game about 1 1/2 years later I believe as well.

Edited by Theeko

If you pay money by X date, you get nico's coat. At this time all you know how it looks like, is from the trailer. Afterwards we will just re-skin a coat that's already in-game and looks nothing like the one from the trailer.

Nico's coat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/ab/62/67ab628007e4ae42404d9df2a7a6d7f6.jpg

What you get: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COe7bl1W8AEOSiJ.jpg:large

This was surely not misrepresentation of the product. In no way was it used to persuade people into commercial transactions. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ichikai

Really, the sort of people who threaten frivolous litigation just because they aren't getting what they want, are the kind of people all shops, online stores, ISPs, and every customer-facing business throughout the world should keep a list of, and just one strike- lifetime blacklist from all retailers. That would improve things quite a bit.

"Impressive is the only word that describes Nico’s swashbuckling duster; you can be sure that wearing this duster sets you apart from other heroes."

If the images of the Nico duster are true does the above not constitute false advertising by bioware since you have to be subscribed to get the coat but you can make the coat with dye already in game?

Not by any stretch of the imagination, no.

If you pay money by X date, you get nico's coat. At this time all you know how it looks like, is from the trailer. Afterwards we will just re-skin a coat that's already in-game and looks nothing like the one from the trailer.

Nico's coat: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/67/ab/62/67ab628007e4ae42404d9df2a7a6d7f6.jpg

What you get: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COe7bl1W8AEOSiJ.jpg:large

This was surely not misrepresentation of the product. In no way was it used to persuade people into commercial transactions. :rolleyes:

its not false advertising, but it surely pisses me off, i expected better and more effort n work put into it.

And I can Admit, I have been Stupid Enough to Buy these Packs. Mainly to try and get some armor that's really crap, and another kind, along with Buying them to get Companion points.

If there was Only A Better Way to get more Companion points. God I am very stupid. All of This for a stupid Game i can't even hardly play at all now because of physical problems to.

You cannot make that coat with a dye. You can make one which looks the same, but the name remains different. So yes, that duster sets you apart from other heroes.

Well it does set you apart... from everyone who didn't get it, doesn't wear it, or doesn't dye their old duster type armor the same color. Anyways its nothing new for ads. At the very core the name of the item sets it apart from the old one that looks just like it but a different color. As far as false advertising goes, as long as it can be twisted in some roundabout way to kind of mean what they said they aren't going to get in trouble. False advertising requires that the statement not be truthful at all and most grey areas are fine. Let's not forget the intent of the law, to be able to hold companies accountable for damaging fraud such as claiming their placebo will cure cancer... not so much to protect every gullible person from actually believing this duster will actually set them apart from every other player.

Sorry, but as pathetic as a 10-second dyejob is for this, it doesn't rise to the level of "false advertising" as defined by law.

Decorations werent even at launch, I think the decor only came out a year ago, the game started back in 2011. Also the CM wasn't even introduced into the game about 1 1/2 years later I believe as well.

im pretty sure that what he meant was that the majority of decorations that are on CM have been assets in the game since launch. Go to any planet and you will see the decorations scattered throughout the zones.

Well, think about it this way. If you go the "false advertising" route, this says the duster will "set you apart from other heroes." Ah -- but this is an MMO. Lots and lots of people are going to have that same duster. Which means you will not be set apart. You'll just be another of the herd. This is the case regardless of how much or how little the duster looks like something you can already get or construct.

I say this not to belittle your point but it's a bit tongue-to-cheek to show that you would have an argument (not a legal one, mind you) for claiming that the statement alone qualifies as false, regardless of what the duster looks like.

The fact is, however, that they are not making a quantifiable claim that this is a never-before-seen item that it would have been impossible for you to make on your own, either in whole or just in resemblance. They are not making the quantifiable claim that someone who does not get the duster cannot end up with something similar. The key things there are "making a quantifiable claim." Stating that the duster "sets you apart from other heroes" is not making a quantifiable claim. Any more than they would be if they said "Level up to the most powerful Sith in the universe." (If you don't feel "powerful", would you have a right to claim false advertising? Clearly no.)

"False advertising" is widely misunderstood by people. If we want to throw on our legal hats here, any advertisement is considered deceptive (i.e., false) if it fulfills both of the following criteria:

(1) It misleads consumers acting reasonably under the circumstances.

(2) It must be important to a consumer’s decision to buy the product.

You can imagine a lot of wiggle room there, right? But it all comes down to whether you are arguing against quantifiable claims. That matters, legally, because if someone does try to sue on case that has merit, this provides a means by which to quantify damages as well.

Do you know it's exactly the same?

Do you know the legal requirements for "false advertising" claims?

Didn't think so.

Okay... I know you're just trying to complain about the duster not being the unique thing that you really, really wanted it to be, but no one ever promised that. The statement you quoted is the advertising equivalent of statements like "This movie is amazing" being attached to virtually every movie ever made. Are there hundreds of movies guilty of false advertising because you only found a dozen of them amazing? Can you objectively prove that they aren't amazing?

If you want to try to accuse someone of a crime based on semantics, you better be sure that you're applying them correctly. The statement says that it will set you apart from other heroes. It doesn't say how many of them. It doesn't say which group. Can you prove that every single player will be using it? If it sets you apart form 10% of the other players, doesn't that still fulfill the statement?

Even if we hypothetically accept that this is false advertising, the best recourse you can hope for is to be refunded the cost of the item plus any additional damages or inconveniences you might have suffered. And, of course, you'd have the item taken away from you. So... since you didn't pay anything for it (old argument, but the law is clear: You paid for the subscription, with the promise of an incentive that holds no monetary value), you get no refund. Since you never had it, there's no inconvenience or additional damages. And you don't get the jacket at all.

Happy?

I don't believe anyone is threatening with legal actions. (Because that would be stupid, and they'd lose anyway.)

They're just disappointed it is not really Nico's coat, just a re-skin with his name plastered on it. I guess it's their fault for believing it would be any more than just a re-skin. I guess they were expecting something that was actually new. Something worth subbing for, regardless of the normal perks.

Something representative of the quality of the new expansion. Hmm...... ;)

Edited by Ichikai

I don't believe anyone is threatening with legal actions. (Because that would be stupid, and they'd lose anyway.)

They're just disappointed it is not really Nico's coat, just a re-skin with his name plastered on it. I guess it's their fault for believing it would be any more than just a re-skin. I guess they were expecting something that was actually new. Something worth subbing for, regardless of the normal perks.

Something representative of the quality of the new expansion. Hmm...... ;)

If the OP's issue is that the duster we get (a) ain't the duster in the video and/or (b) is the "same" as the duster we can make now with a simple dye job, then the OP should have just said so ... preferably in one of the many "Nico Duster" threads that already exist.

But to claim false advertising because the duster is not sufficiently unique to set me apart from everyone else? That just seems silly for a subscription perk item ... i.e., an item that (probably) hundreds of thousands of players will get (I have no idea how many players subscribe). How can I be set apart by an item that every other subscriber in the game has?