Treek and HK-51 once all companions can fill all roles without needing gearing

Bugisttod

Hi folks,

One of the changes coming to Companions is that instead of being fixed to a single role (tank, healer, DPS) they will be able to fill all roles, you get to pick what they do.

I think that's a great change. I've always used my favourite companions regardless of their role or mine (for example Ashara with all my Sith Inquisitors, even the DPS ones), and being able to switch them to another role if I really need it will be wonderful.

The other change is that you no longer need to gear companions, they gain stats based on your level. Again, that's quite a nice change, it would save me a lot of time and money crafting as I level if nothing else.

But I'm wondering about the implications for Treek and HK-51.

Currently one of the main draws for Treek, who many people bought for real money, is that she is the only companion that can fill more than one role: she can be switched between tank and healer. (There's also the cute, and I don't have to use Khem or Qyzen at low levels as I can't stand either of them, but the dual role is certainly her main feature).

How are they going to prevent the devaluation of a real-money asset, without making her overpowered?

It seems that if everyone can do what Treek can, a lot of people will feel they wasted money, but if they compensate by making her better overall than the others she starts heading towards pay to win territory. (I know this game is so easy that you could turn her into the GSI Bot and still not adversely affect the levelling part, but still, being able to buy an 'advantage' would doubtless upset plenty of folks).

With HK-51, the issue is the gearing change.

His main strength is that he draws his power and bonuses from two different stats, Aim and Cunning, and thus by gearing him up with his stats split half and half equal amounts of both you overcome a lot of the effects of diminishing returns. Given he's fairly tedious to acquire, this is a nice bonus for doing all the work.

But if we'll no longer be gearing our companions, will his stats that he gains from our levels still be split half and half, or will he just get all Cunning (or all Aim) and so become weaker?

Neither of these are particularly major concerns I know, and I'll still use Treek to replace Khem and Qyzen, and I'll still use HK-51 on my Sniper because they're such a great match, but given they currently take money or effort to acquire it would be nice if they still maintained their advantages in some way.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand correctly, neither actually requires cartel purchase (for subscribers). I know I didn't use any cartel coins for either.

Cartel purchase for these items are for convince, and as such, the purchaser has already gotten full value through earlier access (then they would if they raised legfacy or what not). I don't see that it should be a priority for BioWare to ensure the constant value of "RMT" items.

For people with Legacy level 40, they can buy a contract for Treek for 1something million of Credits.

HK-51 can be unlocked through a series of quests to which subscribers have access (via Section X), or via an unlock to Section X.

Anyway, the quest series to unlock HK-51 begins in Section X. So, access to Section X is required if you don't want to spend Cartel Coins on that companion.

Once, however, HK-51 has been unlocked at least for 1 Legacy character, HK-51 can be bought (I think) with Credits via the Legacy window, but I'm not sure about that anymore.

There is very little diminishing returns on main stats that HK-51is fine to be geared with only one stat. He also has the terminate ability. If anything, his damage may decrease if he's brought back into line with the other ranged dps.

Treek's strength is that she doesn't break cc, and I can't see that going away.

I use the two of them because, for the most part, I don't like any of the companions. Maybe the new ones will be more tolerable.

I agree with if acquired Treek and HK-51 and come October all companions essentially do what Treek does. I am by no means Legacy 40 yet and probably won't be by October and when I recently saw Treek on sale on the store I used CC to purchase her since I wanted to for a long time. My question is 'why put Treek on sale now?' I mean sure there is still time till October but *shrugs* just seems mean to push something that isn't really going to be 'needed' come exp time. I know it is a 'choice' to get them for CC or Credits but just seems strange in a way.

:)

Edited by Ayleelynne

I have Treek so far only for my level 16 ? Vanguard, as a Healer, so I can't say, but I rather unlocked both for story than for being good combat companions ( I bought Treek in one insanely reduced price flash sale long, long ago ... )

Put Treek in TANK stance and she will tank, DPS and heal, and run circles around Jorgan.

After leveling with Treek, I use her almost exclusively from Lv10 to Lv60 for all classes.

People use Treek because the little annoyance is the best healer companion in the game, and pretty damn tanky too even when not in tank stance.

They should've nerfed her a long time ago, so if the new changes bring parity to all companions, then that is great.

Before you even get into the technical questions about how it's all being implemented or how Treek and HK will continue to be special, it's just bizarre to try and imagine most of the companions running as different roles from what we've known them to be.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the changes come into play for all of the companions.

Like will all companions feature 3-4 stances (many currently have 2 dps stances so either they lose a dps stance or they need to have 4 stances) with the rest of their abilities modeled after the way Treek's abilities are set up (different conditions change the functionality depending on stance)?

Or might they instead add a combat mode selection of some sort somewhere else (just a setting in their character screen? or maybe they could do something like add a companion tab to the disciplines window with a path shown for the current active companion's growth as you level, and resetting their path is how you switch their mode?) and have that swap out completely different abilities into the companion quickbar to fit the needs of that mode?

Or any other options we can imagine.

For treek especially since you may have forked out real life money for her she currently has a few unique features

1) currently treek is one of the few companions (or only one?) who does not break your CC

2) Treek, is the only tank currently ingame that still self heal while in tank stance

Now it is possible that they may add these features as part of the companion change, however, personally I hope that they leave the features "unique" to treek meaning those who paid money for him do not "loose" that money.

This being a MMO, people who obtain things just because they are the "best" are always going to be disappointed in the long term, because something is going to change to make them not be the "best" at some point, either via mechanics changes or via something "better" being added into the game. Treek and HK-51 will still function as companions going forward, if people want them they will still obtain them, if not, they won't, just like currently happens in the game.

Personally I'll continue to collect companions, even if I don't use them much, because I like doing so.

I have Treek so far only for my level 16 ? Vanguard, as a Healer, so I can't say, but I rather unlocked both for story than for being good combat companions ( I bought Treek in one insanely reduced price flash sale long, long ago ... )

Keep in mind that since you have Treek on your Vanguard, you can unlock her in Collections for a small additional sum of CC, (650 is the figure that sticks in my mind), and have her available for every toon in your legacy.

Hi folks,

One of the changes coming to Companions is that instead of being fixed to a single role (tank, healer, DPS) they will be able to fill all roles, you get to pick what they do.

I think that's a great change. I've always used my favourite companions regardless of their role or mine (for example Ashara with all my Sith Inquisitors, even the DPS ones), and being able to switch them to another role if I really need it will be wonderful.

The other change is that you no longer need to gear companions, they gain stats based on your level. Again, that's quite a nice change, it would save me a lot of time and money crafting as I level if nothing else.

Currently one of the main draws for Treek, who many people bought for real money, is that she is the only companion that can fill more than one role: she can be switched between tank and healer. (There's also the cute, and I don't have to use Khem or Qyzen at low levels as I can't stand either of them, but the dual role is certainly her main feature).

How are they going to prevent the devaluation of a real-money asset, without making her overpowered?

It seems that if everyone can do what Treek can, a lot of people will feel they wasted money, but if they compensate by making her better overall than the others she starts heading towards pay to win territory. (I know this game is so easy that you could turn her into the GSI Bot and still not adversely affect the levelling part, but still, being able to buy an 'advantage' would doubtless upset plenty of folks).

His main strength is that he draws his power and bonuses from two different stats, Aim and Cunning, and thus by gearing him up with his stats split half and half equal amounts of both you overcome a lot of the effects of diminishing returns. Given he's fairly tedious to acquire, this is a nice bonus for doing all the work.

But if we'll no longer be gearing our companions, will his stats that he gains from our levels still be split half and half, or will he just get all Cunning (or all Aim) and so become weaker?

Neither of these are particularly major concerns I know, and I'll still use Treek to replace Khem and Qyzen, and I'll still use HK-51 on my Sniper because they're such a great match, but given they currently take money or effort to acquire it would be nice if they still maintained their advantages in some way.

I think now that al the stats are being combined he'll just have the one stat like all the PC's.

I think now that al the stats are being combined he'll just have the one stat like all the PC's.

Wrong.

Companions won't really have stats anymore at all. They will get "better" according to your PC's level and presence. Any equipable items are for looks only. There will be no more "gearing" companions because their abilities increase as your level does.

HK-51 and Treek can be gotten through questlines and a purchase with credits respectively. Do I think they should still be "unique"? yes. Does that mean the devs "owe" us and need to make either one of them unique? no. No one is forced to get either by spending real $$.

The sad part of this is now they are making companions no better really than the other various games that have 'pet classes' where the pets in that game usually scale to the players level and such. It makes me sad they have pretty much 'given up' on having the companions unique anymore, (I do like that it is possible to use armor for them as cosmetic though).

I am wondering if they are revamping crafting to where there are no companion bonus to it to so that it REALLY makes them no better than the other games 'pet classes' :( I am hoping I am proven wrong come October but I am worried about it.

A lot of DPSers run with a DPS companion. I'd actually say that most do this once they are comfortable enough with the game encounters.

Most companions can actually fill two roles. Every "healer" companion can also DPS. Every "tank" companion can also DPS. The pure DPS companions such as Asharra, Kyra, Nadia, Gault have the ability to change between armor penetration and a DOT. I'll grant you that tanks, such as Lord Scourge, are not as awesome at DPSing as the pure DPSers - but that doesn't negate the fact that most companions (two tanks and a healer per character) can fill two roles.

Value changes over time.

Treek still has value as a crafting companion. When they purchased Treek, they got what they paid for. Things change over time.

Diminishing returns does not apply to "main stat" points. There is no diminishing returns for Aim/Cunning. You can load HK up with all aim, all cunning or any combination of the two and he will perform the exact same.

There is really no "major" advantage to either of these companions. They are both "nice to haves" not "must haves".

The sad part of this is now they are making companions no better really than the other various games that have 'pet classes' where the pets in that game usually scale to the players level and such. It makes me sad they have pretty much 'given up' on having the companions unique anymore, (I do like that it is possible to use armor for them as cosmetic though).

I am wondering if they are revamping crafting to where there are no companion bonus to it to so that it REALLY makes them no better than the other games 'pet classes' :( I am hoping I am proven wrong come October but I am worried about it.

Thing is, companions will only loose their uniqueness from a gameplay standpoint. They still keep their quests, their voice, their reaction to player choices and all the rest.

In fact, they are actually giving a chance to more than one companion who, since they didn't fit the playstyle of the class they were recruited by were only ever used on outleveled content (If at all).

Companions as narrative devices will remain unique, and I can't speak for you but the idea of having Kira as a heal running around with her former master and now partner and husband is much more appealing than having to bear Doc's repetitive "Stay alive!" and "Take your medicine!" for a few more years.

Edited by Leklor

Thing is, companions will only loose their uniqueness from a gameplay standpoint. They still keep their quests, their voice, their reaction to player choices and all the rest.

In fact, they are actually giving a chance to more than one companion who, since they didn't fit the playstyle of the class they were recruited by were only ever used on outleveled content (If at all).

Companions as narrative devices will remain unique, and I can't speak for you but the idea of having Kira as a heal running around with her former master and now partner and husband is much more appealing than having to bear Doc's repetitive "Stay alive!" and "Take your medicine!" for a few more years.

^ This... I never used most companions because of their role. This will cause me to use more companions to hear their conversations and make them a part of my team.

It's even worse than that, there will only be mastery stat for everyone, no aim, cunning, strength, or willpower.

Put Treek in TANK stance and she will tank, DPS and heal, and run circles around Jorgan.

Pretty much this. I was once stunned for something ridiculous like 15 seconds by a gold mob. In fairness, I had gotten one DoT off before the stun, but Treek - in tank stance mind you - kept all threat, tossed a heal my way, and killed the mob, all before the stun wore off. They might as well just give Treek the GSIus droid spot.