Is the game coming to an end?

Frenesi

Yes, i know this kind of posts pop up all the time. Still, i need some reassurance, couse I really don't like signs out there.

People are leaving. 3.0 was quite messy at release, and, while Bioware definetely took right path about communication, it seems too late (like, by a few years). Every thing that happens, from class balance to new content and even promos, is met by ****-storm. "Unsub" treats appear every day, and even if only 1 out of 10 will actually happen, it's seems like a large amount.

Licence. Hi there, Disney. The old republic is not, and probably will never be connected to the films. It doesn't leave much space for proper advertisement, and it's only a question of time before Disney decide they want their own star wars MMO, with blackjack and whores, which will actually be tied with new trilogy. How long untill it happens?

12x XP. That's actually what troubles me most. It looks like a huge "Hey, hurry up and finish stories while they are still there" sign.

Some rumours. Nothing specific here, but i keep hearing about "fallen empire" being the very last game content.

So, am i just paranoid? Or is it really time to rush all the stories available?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing specific here, but i keep hearing about "fallen empire" being the very last game content.

You are just being really paranoid.

Disney (EA in this case since they have the license for SW for the next 9 years), will likely have no interest in make another SW MMO anytime soon. No point in cannibalizing your own products at great expense. Makes no business sense.

If it was closing any time soon, we would have notice. Its not. Stop troubling yourself and just play.

Edited by Nickious

Don't let the hype scare you. This game has had people screaming from the top of the hills that it was imploding from day 1. The truth of the matter is the game is correcting for it's age. I will be the first to say things don't look good for the PVP servers but the game overall is still healthy and makes money. Games like SWTOR don't just happen over night and if there was a plan to replace it with another MMO based around Star Wars it would be going through EA (as they hold the exclusive rights to Star-Wars in video games) and then most likely out to Bioware to make it. Just as an example this game spent about 5 years from planning to release. So even if EA announced that they were starting the process to build a new Star Wars MMORPG today the end product would be years out.

Yes, i know this kind of posts pop up all the time. Still, i need some reassurance, couse I really don't like signs out there.

People are leaving. 3.0 was quite messy at release, and, while Bioware definetely took right path about communication, it seems too late (like, by a few years). Every thing that happens, from class balance to new content and even promos, is met by ****-storm. "Unsub" treats appear every day, and even if only 1 out of 10 will actually happen, it's seems like a large amount.

Licence. Hi there, Disney. The old republic is not, and probably will never be connected to the films. It doesn't leave much space for proper advertisement, and it's only a question of time before Disney decide they want their own star wars MMO, with blackjack and whores, which will actually be tied with new trilogy. How long untill it happens?

12x XP. That's actually what troubles me most. It looks like a huge "Hey, hurry up and finish stories while they are still there" sign.

Some rumours. Nothing specific here, but i keep hearing about "fallen empire" being the very last game content.

Yes, you are an oddball. Any mmorpg could close the next day and you won't have any say over it. Why not just enjoy the time you have with it? You don't consider this game an Investment do you? That would be odd.

Well, I'm relatively new to the game, though I might be the only one. Everything I have seen brought up in threads like these lead me to believe the game is far from over. Not only that, but the companies statements and new license agreements. I personally find the game quite awesome overall, so I tend to believe all the predictions of the games end is really premature. Fwiw ;)

I feel like there are 4 of these threads a day. Is BW taking them down so there's not a long discussion or are people just really feeling the pinch?

BW definitely isn't taking them down, they are all still up on the boards.

Doom and gloom, or more charitably theorizing and musing, are just hallmarks of any internet board. Another hallmark is 'never let the fact that there is already a thread up on this topic keep you from making a second (or third, or twelfth) one".

Some random thoughts:

1) I think the current storyline is the perfect lead up to an exit point i.e. Emperor returns....final battle....some sort of mechanic to decide who won the war (Emp or Pub)

2) The lead time to developing an MMO is years so unless they've had something brewing on the backburner to replace SWTOR with a 2.0 or a new Trilogy era game, there's still room for longevity.

3) Traditional MMO's are (imo) at the end of their lifecycle....console games with add on's like the Disney Infinity 3.0 and apps with in-game purchases are rising in popularity due to the shorter dev time/overhead and revenue streams

4) With Disney shutting down Lucas Arts in house development, we'll continue to see outsourced/licensed development where Disney gets guaranteed revenue and the financial risk is taken on by the licensee.

Personally, I think BW/EA as innovators will want to do something else in the star wars space. I also think they've learned that WoW is not something that's a repeatable success through re-skinning.....unfortunately it took them a lot of money to come to the same space as SWG did....a hard core fan base who will spend more money on convenience items in addition to what they already spend on subs, but only casual interest beyond that.

That said....I think we'll see some sort of 'SWTOR Next' in a form that we don't expect. It could be a KOTOR type online/console sequel with an opportunity to port character data to 'continue your story'......or something set in the era of the next trilogy with a 'Legacy' (but not direct character port) tie in for a feeling of continuity across the ages.

I would be very happy, but also very surprised, if we see another MMO as we know it in the SW space....but then, if you consider we have at least another 6 years of fertile ground for the 7-9 trilogy plus a whack of spin-off movies, there's a ton of opportunity to do content tie-in's for at least a decade which could justify the expense of an MMO.

Question is.....did they think of that far enough in advance to get something to market in a timely enough fashion to capitalize off this years movie release or will they do last minute tie in's like SWG when the prequels came out?

It's just the MMO market, people are looking for something else to play. WoW just announced today that they lost 3 MILLION subscribers last quarter. Also, I think people tend to look for other things to do during the summer months.

The movie will also draw in some new people this coming winter.

I could see the scenario of "We kill the Emperor for good" and then the game ends, putting Legacy canon to a close happening. Whether or not that's the route they're going to take remains to be seen. There are still quite a few things they can do with the game and the story.

When they do decide to pull the plug, I hope they let people play the game in an offline format if they want to. There's enough solo content available for such an option IMO.

it's only a question of time before Disney decide they want their own star wars MMO, with blackjack and whores, which will actually be tied with new trilogy. How long untill it happens?

Um, what? Disney, blackjack and whores?

Well, possibly. I can give you the names of some films made by Disney that (if you know the themes inside), might surprise people accustomed to 1990s and 2000s Disney products:

* Tron

* Tron: Legacy (both these films feature dystopian totalitarian dictatorships)

* The Black Hole (features just-off-screen death by evisceration of one of the main characters, and no doubt in the audience's mind that that's how the guy dies)

* Dragonslayer (6th Century setting with dystopian corrupt ruling classes)

* High-Level Precision Bombing (two-part series completed in 1944 for the USAAF)

You are just being really paranoid.

Disney (EA in this case since they have the license for SW for the next 9 years), will likely have no interest in make another SW MMO anytime soon. No point in cannibalizing your own products at great expense. Makes no business sense.

If it was closing any time soon, we would have notice. Its not. Stop troubling yourself and just play.

Don't be so sure.I played a game for 7 years,it was called Star Wars Galaxies.We where told by SOE and Lucasarts that our game would be kept going alongside SWTOR and we all know what happened (6 months before this game started we where told that Galaxies would be closed down before SWTOR launched).

Game companies don't give a toss about customers.I wouldn't be surprised if Disney announced a new trilogy tie in mmo.It's all about the £ at the end of the day and they will milk the Star Wars cash cow for all its worth.

to OP.

This game will not going to end anytime soon. The resaon is that as long BW keeps creating massive CM packs and items, people will buy them and spend money. Only content we are used to get regulary will be less and less frequent and also not as big as in past patches. It is already happening.

So it all depends if the amount of CONTENT is enough for players to pay monthly subscription then game can do ok. But if we only see small planets and few ops bosses in a year and majority is CM stuff, this game will loose people quite fast. Only time will tell.

Yes, its shutting down next week, Elvis called me from Area 51 and told me heard it straight from Bigfoot who heard it from the Abominable Snowman who was smoking weed with Tupac and Biggie when the second gunman on the Grassy Knoll busted in and told him he heard it from his father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate. Edited by jedip_enguin

Some random thoughts:

1) I think the current storyline is the perfect lead up to an exit point i.e. Emperor returns....final battle....some sort of mechanic to decide who won the war (Emp or Pub)

My problem with that is that we hardly saw any war going on. Ever since the finale of Ilum, we didn't really see much of a war between the Republic and the Empire as far as content is concerned. Most content released since then pitted Republic and Empire against several new factions instead of having them fight each other: Malgus' New Empire, the Dread Masters, the Hutt Cartel, a rogue Czerka boss, the Revanites and now the Emperor himself. Too many third factions for my taste. Last time we had Republic and Empire fight each other were the Tython / Korriban flashpoints, and those weren't even real battles but diversions in hindsight.

Edited by BenKatarn

People have been screaming for 12x to come back, I don't think it has anything to do with the state of the game really. And the fact it is sub only I assume it's just another gimmick to get people to sub. Although I guess that could be a sign for a last ditch effort at sub dollars. I doubt it though. Although with Biofail anything is possible.