[Suggestion] No-one likes ninja looting

Ninja looting has become a rather big issues full of excuses. Mainly "for my companion", which is complete out of the question.

So here,s a suggestion: The loot that drop, make it non-needable for characters whom the stats wouldn't benefit. As an example, a piece of gear with Cunning on it drops, people who wont benefit from Cunning will only be able to greed on it.

That way, it'll solve the ninja looting issue.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOTRO implemented a new system that has drops for each person that contributes to a kill. I don't see why it is so improbable that everyone spending time/effort going through an op/fp should have to roll for the 1 -3 items that drop. Comms are just a slow way of getting the specific piece you want. If everyone were to receive a drop, there would be less time grinding to gear, and more time to do ... oh wait that is all there is for endgame. What would be nice is to have other things to do besides gear grind.

Less focus on gear, more focus on entertainment.

I have to agree, mainly on lower lever fps and everything (mainly because of new players who don't understand the need/greed/pass system quite so much) and I always find that really annoying when I roll an alt. What I am liking is the new system being implemented in 2.0 (and is in the more elder game already somewhat) where all the bosses just drop comms that you can buy any gear with so everyone gets fair loot, now of course there are some un-assembled pieces hidden here and there, but any class can use them to avoid ninja's....

so in a sense, Bioware has been doing a little bit on this subject, but I'm sure they have much more important matters to attend to atm (rise of the hutt cartel, bug fixes, etc.) now all they need is something for enforcement on lower level fps....... maybe it'll get thrown in there with rise of the hutt cartel.

LOTRO implemented a new system that has drops for each person that contributes to a kill. I don't see why it is so improbable that everyone spending time/effort going through an op/fp should have to roll for the 1 -3 items that drop. Comms are just a slow way of getting the specific piece you want. If everyone were to receive a drop, there would be less time grinding to gear, and more time to do ... oh wait that is all there is for endgame.

Apparently we don't play the same game because in the current state, it is already pretty fast as it is to get geared. If they actually did implement what you suggested, then you would see a whole new slew of player complaints asking for even more content because they have nothing else to do. With the way it currently is, you do have to do multiple runs which takes time to gear your player out which is a good thing. There is no reason to get fully geared within 1 month of the release of a new raid.

very simple just change all your loot rolls to master looter. if people complain it takes too long they are probably the ninja. this way you or whoever is in charge of the fp or ops can make sure it only goes to who needs it
Unless the ninja is the raid leader. :p

Simple there is already a system in place, kick and ignore ninjas.

Ninja looting has become a rather big issues full of excuses. Mainly "for my companion", which is complete out of the question.

So here,s a suggestion: The loot that drop, make it non-needable for characters whom the stats wouldn't benefit. As an example, a piece of gear with Cunning on it drops, people who wont benefit from Cunning will only be able to greed on it.

That way, it'll solve the ninja looting issue.

But then you have a class like the bounty hunter where three of its five companions use aim and the smuggler where two of five use cunning.

I agree that "ninja looting" is a problem but your solution is a non-starter.

Edited by psandak

But then you have a class like the bounty hunter where three of its five companions use aim and the smuggler where two of five use cunning.

I agree that "ninja looting" is a problem but your solution is a non-starter.

Actually to be able only to need on items your character can use and benefit from and remove the need button from all other classes is a good start.

It will remove the random need spree that is currently in the works of many players. If your character can equip and benefit from the stat it will never be ninjalooting. To take a item that you can use and decide not to use yourself is more about bad judgement then ninjalooting.

Changing the lootrules to common sense is something many other MMOs has done with great success. It simply removes the many problems and frustrations that occur with players taking stuff they can not use.

Edited by Icestar

Apparently we don't play the same game because in the current state, it is already pretty fast as it is to get geared. If they actually did implement what you suggested, then you would see a whole new slew of player complaints asking for even more content because they have nothing else to do. With the way it currently is, you do have to do multiple runs which takes time to gear your player out which is a good thing. There is no reason to get fully geared within 1 month of the release of a new raid.

So you actually think ninjalooting is a natural way of progression? That the DEVs has taken into account that a certain amount of items will be "lost to ninjalooters" and therefore it is part of the progression?

It might work for the first character, or the second or perhaps even the third but when you have like I have for example 16 characters (10 level 50:s), you hardly appreciate doing flashpoints over and over again simply because a player decide to take stuff they have no business taking.

That is why bosses drop randomly out of a "boss pool of items", that is the reason to rerun a flashpoint. Not because a player has ninjaed a item, that creates much more frustration then needed. Hundreds if not thousands of posts and many threads prove my point here, just do a search.

Edited by Icestar

Ninjalooting is a community problem, not a game mechanics problem. Trying to address it by changing mechanics will not solve the problem, but will create new ones.

As much as i hate to say it : THIS

Ninjalooting can never be entirely removed since there are so many different opinions of what it is.

The community can not be held responsible by simply using what the game let them legally do. There will always be players that use what tools are given, and right now the lootsystem gives them option to take whatever they want regardless of actual need.

Name what problems that will come from improving/changing the loot mecanics?

If you simply remove the option to take all items in the entire game with a needroll and let those that can actually benefit from the item you help alot of players and removes alot of problems and frustration. The only ones that could possible be against a system where items are given priority to those that use them are the ninjalooters themselves.

But then again, prove me wrong by stating the new problems that will occur?

Players whine about not earning cash fast enough because they like to sell every boss item in the game?

Players whine about not able to gear up all their companions that they dont use anyway?

Let us know what new problems that might occur by using a common sense lootsystem in a constructive way

Edited by Icestar

So imagine this situation:

HM FP, nobody needs the whole item, but I could use the enhancement.

Situation now: I can ask, if it's ok to need on it, when the enhancement benefits me.

Situation after your solution: I have to ask the person who got the part, to trade it to me which and have to explain why I need it.

I do think ninja looting has to go, but I don't think yours is a suitable solution

Very simple, you greed and let the others know you want the item. If the team agrees, you will end up with it either by winning greed or by trading the item. This does not warrant needroll if the item is not for your class only for a mod.

Communication is the key here, it saves you from the others ignorelists and a kick from the team for ninjalooting. If you play with decent players you will end up with the item anyway if nobody needs it.

Edited by Icestar

Very simple, you greed and let the others know you want the item. If the team agrees, you will end up with it either by winning greed or by trading the item. This does not warrant needroll if the item is not for your class only for a mod.

Communication is the key here, it saves you from the others ignorelists and a kick from the team for ninjalooting. If you play with decent players you will end up with the item anyway if nobody needs it.

did you even read my post?

did you even read my post?

Yes I did, you said that my suggestion is not a suitable solution.

I wrote back the way I think that situation you described should be handled.

Do you have any constructive suggestions how loot should be handled other then they way I write?

Or do you think anarchy lootrules is the best one for this community and game?

Edited by Icestar

Yes I did, you said that my suggestion is not a suitable solution.

I wrote back the way I think that situation you described should be handled.

you just repeated what I already wrote in the first place. -.-

Do you have any constructive suggestions how loot should be handled other then they way I write?

Or do you think anarchy lootrules is the best one for this community and game?

I think it works very well, I only met two ninjalooter's so far and both were kicked after a warning.

The best suggestion I heared so far was to give every player a piece of loot, like a quest reward (at least for operations or other bossdrops)

Funny how people don't realize that online games are just a cover for what's really going on.

Social experiments.

" How do people react when a necessity gets a drastic and dramatic price change? "

" How do people choose which item should go to who, depending of the use for each person for said item ? "

There are people studying this and reactions.

And my opinion on this? Kick ninja looter at first random Need or tell him so, see how he reacts ( if he gives it to a legit user or not ) and decide on that.

Ninjalooting can never be entirely removed since there are so many different opinions of what it is.

The community can not be held responsible by simply using what the game let them legally do. There will always be players that use what tools are given, and right now the lootsystem gives them option to take whatever they want regardless of actual need.

Name what problems that will come from improving/changing the loot mecanics?

If you simply remove the option to take all items in the entire game with a needroll and let those that can actually benefit from the item you help alot of players and removes alot of problems and frustration. The only ones that could possible be against a system where items are given priority to those that use them are the ninjalooters themselves.

But then again, prove me wrong by stating the new problems that will occur?

Players whine about not earning cash fast enough because they like to sell every boss item in the game?

Players whine about not able to gear up all their companions that they dont use anyway?

Let us know what new problems that might occur by using a common sense lootsystem in a constructive way

So you're proposing creating a problem wherein people cannot collect gear for their companions. Oh sure we could all stop what we're doing in the middle of the run and go about the hassle of trading items around, but it's a hell of a lot simpler for someone to go "you guys mind if I need on that?" "Go for it bro" and be done with it. Once the item is in someone's inventory they're a lot less likely to want to go through the hassle of getting it to the right person. People are lazy, but at least the current system allows for them to be accommodating in their laziness.

Also, how are you going to go about determining if someone can "actually benefit from it"? Oh sure, those boots might increase my Power a bunch, but at the cost of a good chunk of Shield, so is that an item I could benefit from? Do I just have to be able to equip it? If so I can just scoop up all the items that my class can equip and sell them all to the vendor, that's a benefit right? What if I want some adaptive armor for my companion that only comes from a certain boss? Should I just not be able to customize my companion that way?

You, like most people, haven't thought this through. There are consequences to changing the loot mechanics, and none of those consequences is the alteration of basic human behavior.