Qyzen Fess uses Aim. WHY

rdycheck

Firstly, i cant figure out how to search this forum, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

with slight paraphrasing:

Under the characters of interest tab of the codex, Qyzen fess primary stat is listed as aim. under the character tab, aim is listed as affecting the effectiveness of ranged weapons.

qyzen's "you need to be qyzen to use this" gear, all has aim on it.

now, I'm only level 20, but as far as i can tell, his weapon, the vibroblade (currently using a techblade) is melee. it's listed as a melee weapon in the tooltip, and under the GTC categories. maybe he gets a blaster later. iunno. seems wrong. 2ndary weapon is a shield, which doesnt seem to be ranged either.

can anyone offer a reasonable explanation as to why this is the case? i've asked a few times in general and everyone just sorta says deal with it.

i'm getting frustrated, because before i noticed this, i had been equipping the companion with strength gear, and before i waste time and credits equipping him to test if aim or strength is actually his stat, i'm hoping someone can help me out.

thanks all

I was confused about the same thing with one of the bounty hunters companions that uses a techblade. As far as I can tell his primary stat is correctly listed as aim. I don't know why they didn't make it into strength, but you should be going for items with aim on them.

If someone believes or has evidence to the contrary I would really like to see that, because I'm still a little unsure myself.

Mako uses Cunning but she is supposed to be a BH.

Fess used to use a gun, they switched him to melee and kept the stat. I heard somewhere along the line they didnt want him wearing JK armor (i thought his armor doesnt show up, like Khem Val)

I had figured this was something remnant from a previous build, the same dmg gain makes a little bit of sense i guess, but seems like a very weak bandaid fix that i'm assuming they will again fix later choosing one over the other. le sigh

You're mistake is in assuming that "Aim" is a ranged stat. It is not. Aim is a "soldier" stat, IE the Trooper/Bounty Hunter stat. Much like Aim increases the damage of the Trooper's "Stock Strike," it also affects Qyzen's melee damage.

Qyzen would look out of place in Smuggler/Agent, Knight/Warrior, and Consular/Inquisitor gear. The only gear that is appropriate for Qyzen to wear is "soldier" gear, which is why he uses Aim. They want him in Trooper and Bounty Hunter gear. If he used strength, his ideal gear would be Jedi Knight robes, which wouldn't fit his character.

Because BioWare wanted him to also use a melee weapon (not sure why, he used to use rifles and it was just fine.. *shrug*) they invented a completely new weapon for him: the Techblade.

This results in some confusion for new players who automatically associate melee damage with the Strength stat, and very rare weapon drops for Qyzen (since he's basically got his very own loot table, as he's the only character I know of who uses tech blades.) But he does looks like a "traditional Trandoshan hunter," which was obviously BioWare's sole objective when making these design decisions.

-Macheath.

Edited by Macheath

he is decked out it str gear right now for me and since trandoshens seem to only display certain armor slots, it works fine visually, so i dont understand your point. and obviously putting a tanking companion in consular robes would be counterproductive.

at this point it seems:

any heavy armor with str or aim on it is fair game visually and practically.

i'm not mistaking anything about aim, my original point was saying that according to the tooltip, he is decked out like a noob, because according to the game itself, it IS a ranged stat only, and as he is 100% not ranged, i decided to qq a little

He's not the only companion with this problem. Corso Riggs is the first smuggler companion and he also uses Aim & heavy armor but clearly is labeled a smuggler in the Codex.

I tried to equip smuggler only loot on him that I'd modded for aim and he couldn't wear it - wrong class - but nowhere does it tell us what class he IS. Guessing he's also a 'trooper' gear type even though he is a smuggler but I wish the classes were listed on the companion tab where the character class is instead of a big blank spot. He's constantly pulling the mob to him for melee (which is really annoying since he's usually right next to me and I want the mobs ranged) instead of using ranged so even trooper doesn't really fit him but that seems closer than smuggler.

Edited by Jenarie

He's not the only companion with this problem. Corso Riggs is the first smuggler companion and he also uses Aim & heavy armor but clearly is labeled a smuggler in the Codex.

I tried to equip smuggler only loot on him that I'd modded for aim and he couldn't wear it - wrong class - but nowhere does it tell us what class he IS. Guessing he's also a 'trooper' gear type even though he is a smuggler but I wish the classes were listed on the companion tab where the character class is instead of a big blank spot. He's constantly pulling the mob to him for melee (which is really annoying since he's usually right next to me and I want the mobs ranged) instead of using ranged so even trooper doesn't really fit him but that seems closer than smuggler.

Turn that ability off?

Edited by GawdoOo

If you check the bonus damage tooltip on the character sheet for him, you will see that he gains equally from both aim and strength.

But the tooltip also have the descriptive text saying that says "Aims increases your aptitude with ranged weapons".

You're mistake is in assuming that "Aim" is a ranged stat. It is not. Aim is a "soldier" stat, IE the Trooper/Bounty Hunter stat. Much like Aim increases the damage of the Trooper's "Stock Strike," it also affects Qyzen's melee damage.

This results in some confusion for new players who automatically associate melee damage with the Strength stat,

-Macheath.

Well it's not an assumption, well, I guess it is, but it isnt a mistake, it's based on what the tooltip for Aim says...

Aims claims to increase ranged, Strength claims to increase melee, Fess uses melee. It's not hard to see why this would be confusing...

The obviously went in and changed what the stat does for Fess, maybe they should have changed the tooltip descriptions too? Sure would have helped...

You apparently don't realize that the (Smuggler) portion of Corso's codex entry simply means the entry is a Smuggler only codex entry and not that the character himself is a smuggler. Any codex entry with a class name in parentheses after it is specific to that class and is obtained through the storyline for that class.

Companions don't really have a proper class the way players do. Corso is a ranged tank and so is most closely related to a Vanguard or a Powertech. As such he wears heavy armor and benefits from aim, endurance, defense, etc.

Edited by kurfew

I for one am a happy camper that he uses aim :D My main is a Commando with armormech, so I can fully gear him up through all levels :cool:
It seems to me they don't want players to give their characters their old items, which was a strategy of mine in KOTOR. It's a bit of a pain, but I guess it keeps gearing companions from being to easy.
Not true for all classes, my Trooper companions get all my hand me downs, heavy with aim....

Qyzen should be given Trooper gear; specifically Vanguard tank-specced stuff if you want to use him as a tank. That's all there is to it. It uses Aim, and you equip him with Techblades. This is no different from the Trooper companions Yuun and Tanno Vik, who both use Techblades (though Yuun can use Techstaves, too).

Yes, he benefits from Strength, but only for melee damage--whereas Aim increases everything about him, including melee damage. It's no different from a Trooper.

Been wondering the same question myself today. Ive even been flamed as being a retard for asking to need on gear with aim on it for my companion. Tbh it doesnt make any sence but thnx for making this topic, atleast i can sleep good 2night.

If you check the bonus damage tooltip on the character sheet for him, you will see that he gains equally from both aim and strength.

If you checked more than just his melee dmg bonus you would see that Aim gives him bonuses to tech dmg while Str does not.

You're mistake is in assuming that "Aim" is a ranged stat. It is not. Aim is a "soldier" stat, IE the Trooper/Bounty Hunter stat. Much like Aim increases the damage of the Trooper's "Stock Strike," it also affects Qyzen's melee damage. -Macheath.

Actually if you mouse over AIM on your character sheet the tool tip actually says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons' so how is it not a ranged stat?