What crew skills are viable?

ccamwilkins

slicing

/endthread

You're late... way late.

OP, I'm in about the same boat... now that Slicing was nerfed, I'm trying to figure out how we're to make credits.

I hear PvP pays well

I also hear daily Space Combat missions are lucrative

You can also go with Gathering skills, find a spot to farm (not send companions) and sell on GTN, though this option seems least lucrative.

I'm still focusing on Biochem... haven't given up on Slicing as my third Crew Skill, but am not sure it will be kept for long.

Edited by PhinixPhire

Archaeology, Bioanalysis and Scavenging are the Gathering skills, if I'm not mistaken. They allow you to collect samples from the environment, instead of depending entirely on missions (which cost credits to run!) You can farm with Gathering skills, but that sort of stuff bores the crap out of me... :-/

30% nerf is still better than complete redundant skills like armormech and cybertech

biochem gives huge advantages like buffs and medpacks, but not money

It was a 71% nerf, if you do your research. You can make about 20-30 credits per minute now, if you're lucky. You can end up at a loss for a play session if you're unlucky.

It's just about useless.

It was a 71% nerf, if you do your research. You can make about 20-30 credits per minute now, if you're lucky. You can end up at a loss for a play session if you're unlucky.

It's just about useless.

aka

crafting is broken all-together

Well i have slicing @ 250/400 I didn't "take advantage" of it like i "should have". But my other 2 skills are still at 1/400.

Should i drop slicing, or just drop the other 2 and pick up biochem and 1 complementary gathering skill?

Personally, I'm sticking with Biochem and Bioanalysis for now and leaving my 257 Slicing skill up there in case they adjust the nerf a bit.

I intend to use an alt for Diplomacy, to flesh out the Biochem endeavors.

aka

crafting is broken all-together

Agreed there, sir. It makes me a little sad. I was just getting in to it, you know? Slicing funded the Biochem nicely. Was exciting...

Edited by PhinixPhire

Find what is lacking in the market and fill the hole. On my server there are no crafting materials for blue and purple items available at all. If somebody had been using slicing and were missing Diplomacy they had to buy the extra materials they wanted, now they have neither.

No Supply and high demand = potential for money, be the first one in.

Hopefully in the long run it will all settle out.

Edited by Kerensk

That's servers-wide issue.

I for one just sometimes simply run crewskill missions, get mats and sell them on market in a plies of ten.

Sells like a hot cakes if you set reasonable price, and makes money VERY quickly, it's probably ATM better than Slicing. Especially if you manage to hit grade 3+ purple quality materials.

I have been running four characters in tandem keeping them all at relatively the same level and keeping their crafting skills at or above their player level. I have all crew skills selected at this time except arms and armor and will likely be dropping slicing for arms soon. That said I can make the following observations;

1) In world gathering is great you just have to find the spots. - There are plenty of dead areas where you won't see any nodes and then there are areas where the nodes spawn so quick and so fast you won't realize you've been farming for an hour until the notice that your bags are full appears.

2) Open your map and select Resources on the left side. Nodes will be displayed on your map that may be farther away from you than your mini-map displays and you're missing a fortune.

3) Mission skills are a money pit but necessary and they will not break you. When you don't need a specific item simply spend the least credits and/or least time required to raise skill level. Any time you log out or are running around a city without a companion on a mission is a waste.

4)
Mission skills
WILL NOT
replace in world gathering
but refer to item one; you should be able to f ind your spots and roll.

5) Reverse engineering has a great proc rate BUT you cannot learn the next level by reverse engineering something above you character level. (I learned this the hard way. RE-ed ten level 23 items at level 21 without a proc. First RE at level 23 and BAM! new skill. Never had to waste that many items before.)

So far I find the most useful skills to be Artifice and Cybertech because of the upgrades. I can make anything for any toon with a mod slot other than barrels so far but I haven't gotten to Arms for that yet.

Hope this helps and if anyone would like to add their observations or disagree with the above let's hear it.