Just some facts about female gamers

kalarigamerchic

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Women game- we are into gaming some of us have been since we were kids, Atari was the first console my family owned and I have been playing since the days of Pack-man

It's "Pac-Man". Clearly your opinion as a gamer is now invalid!

2. Female gamers are not easily offended- This one really stands out so many posts on our behalf so many people who assume that we need speak up for topics such as sexism and sexuality.

You do know guys have opinions on sexism too, right? Mostly when guys talk about sexism against women in video games it's because we don't like it, not because we think women are incapable of expressing their opinions themselves. This may shock you, but feminism isn't a new thing to most of us.

3. Female gamers not all of us but many are not life time watching drama queens who cry at the drop of a hat.

I've met quite a few who are, but yes, fortunately not all women playing games are like that. It would be extremely difficult to have any kind of sensible discussions if that were the case given how many women actually do partake in games and discussions therein and regarding. So, I agree.

4. Some of us maybe tough girls but we do like style

Kind of silly to assume this is a female trait. Most players of RPGs prefer their characters to look good. Cosmetic armor and the like isn't just added to appeal to women, it's made to appeal to players.

5. Not all of us are nurturers and play healer types.

I thought this would be obvious too but now that I think of it, aside from my own girlfriend most female gamers I've met played healers of some variety. I'm going to chalk that up to coincidence though since I like playing healer myself.

On the whole though, most guys playing video games, especially MMOs, are very aware of and comfortable with the fact that there are many female gamers playing with them. The sexism you see on display is usually played for laughs, just like overt racist jokes or what we call "Dead baby comedy". Usually.

You know, this thread is far more polite and female-positive than I expected it to be. I think a lot of us are still cringing from how we were treated in MMOs five years ago, because times they have changed. How cool is that? :)

Very cool. Now, get back in the kitchen and make me a sammich!

Just kidding! :D

But seriously, I don't care what gender you are in the middle of a raid, mission, or skirmish. As long as you can do the job, it's all good. I don't give a damn about gender. Just competence. :)

I am giving away my age here:

In the early 1990's a mag called Computer Gaming World ran an article on the scarcity of female gamers, at the time the unfair sex was about 3% of the player base, and there were many and serious discussions on how to involve them. Glad to see that that seems to have changed.

Interestingly, Pac Man attracted Those Who Must Be Obeyed more than the shoot em ups of the time, and it had quite a lot of draw in the arcades. Though my attempts to hit on a girl were very much in vain.... They were too busy playing.

As for me, I remember Lady Pacman as being viciously difficult, and not being nearly as popular as Pac Man. One Lady I knew could clock Defender's scoreline several times on one coin, and made most men look bad.

And if you wonder why I call the curvy gender unfair: You ever dared to arrive late to a date as a man and still get with it? See, I thought so. Now how often have you as a man sat, watching the clock, tapping your foot, only to be all smiles when she makes her late entrance? Point in case. Exactly.

I am giving away my age here:

In the early 1990's a mag called Computer Gaming World ran an article on the scarcity of female gamers, at the time the unfair sex was about 3% of the player base, and there were many and serious discussions on how to involve them. Glad to see that that seems to have changed.

Interestingly, Pac Man attracted Those Who Must Be Obeyed more than the shoot em ups of the time, and it had quite a lot of draw in the arcades. Though my attempts to hit on a girl were very much in vain.... They were too busy playing.

As for me, I remember Lady Pacman as being viciously difficult, and not being nearly as popular as Pac Man. One Lady I knew could clock Defender's scoreline several times on one coin, and made most men look bad.

And if you wonder why I call the curvy gender unfair: You ever dared to arrive late to a date as a man and still get with it? See, I thought so. Now how often have you as a man sat, watching the clock, tapping your foot, only to be all smiles when she makes her late entrance? Point in case. Exactly.

Mostly because us guys can't live without it, but the ladies can. :D

I must admit I get a bit surprised when I see a female gamer, more so if they actually talk in Vent. It has nothing to do with them being women or that I'm a sexist, nothing like that. It's about the rarity (unless I'm just really unlucky, if I can use that word) of finding a female gamer and then especially someone who isn't afraid to talk in voice chat. I just get a bit surprised to find a woman in an activity that clearly is dominated by male players, either that or the female gamers are just afraid to show themselves.

lol i was just skimming some of that and i gotta say that like female gamers, which indeed i have nothing against as long as you play as a female gamer and aren't a guy doing it because then its awkward -.- ....anyways as i was saying i have meet many a female gamers who in Halo 3 and Halo reach have flat out kicked my *** and i never got pissed in fact i enjoy to play with girl their fun to be around and when push comes to shove usually their the first one in to the fight.

on the subject of like girl gamers (i never finished that as i realized now} I being an Otaku which is Japanese for geek (usually used for a person who loves to watch anime, likes games, and is a specialty at a cretin thing such as weapons.) get just as much crap as the girl gamer why i have no clue though i do love anime it doesn't mean that im not a semi normal American and usually its the girl gamer that is the most understanding on this so i love girl gamers and if i could i would love to have a girl friend who is a gamer so she can kick my *** in kills while i watch her back and she can watch mine.

btw not all otakus like hentai as most of us are put into that category im one who doesn't like hentai just so you all know...

This OP is 100% correct and I get a kick out of watching people troll a post like this because the majority of them either think "Girls Have Cooties" or they hyperventilate when an IRL interaction is in front of them with a female.:p

Truth be told ..... I have been in the same multi-game gaming community for 12 years or so. We have had some of the most vicious of members in our FPS Clans be female. The Same goes for our PvP MMO Guilds. :eek:

We even had a pair of Sisters who played with us. One was a Grandmother the other was a Great Grandmother and they would get on Vent and did not sound their age and so the young bucks of the guild would trip over their own tongues to do things for them and always hitting on them. The Sisters got the biggest laugh out of that and as their GM I just held in the giggles and let the Gals have their fun being hit on by guys younger than their Grand Children.;)

Yeah so there are more girls that game than ya would ever think .... and they DO KICK ***! They are not all the Nurturing, Almost non-existent or The Happy Happy Joy Joy RPr's as they are painted to be by our all knowing communities. They are hard core gamers and most of them out play the guys!:cool:

They can fend for themselves just as guys can and the only time I ever intervene is when a member of our Guild or Clan is screwed with by another member because of Sex, Race, Religion, Country and so on for the only reason of being offensive and to shock and insult. Then I put a boot up someones ***.;)

Yeah so Girl Gamers ROCK! :)

Edited by DbDBear

i honestly don't care much about the sobject i find amusing that if you are half decent in PVP you cannot be a girl you have to be a guy playing a female toon

oh and another thing if u have a mind of your own and you just don't ignore the idiot that PVP in pve gear and try to inform them you definitly cannot be a girl

so girl

a) cannot be decent in pvp

b) cannot get pissed in ops chat over idiot with 0 expertise

if you do one of those 2 things or both you are a guy that's what i have been told

Edited by Pekish

i honestly don't care much about the sobject i find amusing that if you are half decent in PVP you cannot be a girl you have to be a guy playing a female toon

oh and another thing if u have a mind of your own and you just don't ignore the idiot that PVP in pve gear and try to inform them you definitly cannot be a girl

so girl

a) cannot be decent in pvp

b) cannot get pissed in ops chat over idiot with 0 expertise

if you do one of those 2 things or both you are a guy that's what i have been told

And whoever told you that is dead wrong. Seriously, where does that thinking come from??? Are some guys THAT chauvanistic that they can't take a little competition from the females around here? I've fought the Frag Dolls back in the day, and they held their own and even took us to school a few times. No shame.

This thread exists because we exist. You didn't need to click on it and read it.

Girls like games too. I joined the game to play and level with my husband and brother. It was a lot of fun and my brother invited me to join the guild he was in. I was happy just reading the guild chat and it was nice when someone would respond to me by saying "Hi!" By the time my husband and I hit 50 (my brother wasn't playing as much due to IRL stuff), the guild started pulling us to come do HM FP's and Ops (I thought I had no idea what I was doing). The guild is a great group of guys, and after about 3 months of this they asked me to become a guild officer (apparently, I'm really good at organizing groups based on skill/gear).

We had a new recruit join the guild and offer to help with the website (so the guild put him in touch with me so an offer could help with oversight) and recruitment (again, the GM referred him to me). It put a bee in his bonnet, since, as he told the GM as he was rage quitting the guild, "Girls don't belong in MMO's, especially as a guild officer." He since went on to ban me from our own website (he refused to transfer admin privileges before and when he quit), poach people from our guild, and as of last night he reported my main toon for a name violation (Byotchfett). This is a toon I've had since January, and never had an issue. I had to change my name, so I let the guild officers pick for me. One of them had the awesome idea to use the chauvinistic pig's words against him. The pig had specifically said, "You are all up her @- - like she is the queen bee or something." So my new name is Queen'b.

So in short, this thread exists because I know I'm not the only girl who has gone through this kind of treatment at the hands of the male gamers. We understand that not all men feel this way, since the rest of my guild spent the evening last night making jokes at the guy's expense and making me laugh. Tonight, when we hit Karagga's Palace, Queen'b will be ready to rock. :)

There are girls on the interweb? Lies!

-----------------------------------------

MMO should be a reflection of society.

In our guild (thats 10yrs young this year) we have had players who are in their late 70's, some who are 8 or 9 and I dare say some women sneaking in somewhere too.:)

Who cares as long as, just like in the real world, people adapt to their target audience appropriately.

I dont want to hear about fluffy bunnies and knitting ;) daily. Equally I doubt most women want to hear teenage kiddies going on about female body parts and their first hard ons every day of the week.

Seriously.....its a brave new world!

Edited by Littlegem