Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

400K+ WZ Damage... I'm Missing Something

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
400K+ WZ Damage... I'm Missing Something

Cosyc
03.20.2013 , 09:40 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Plikk View Post
Extremely Solid Advice
More excellent words of wisdom. Appreciated. At work so this will be more brief a response than I'd prefer...

I tend to keep my ACC at or around 100% (to ensure the 110% Tech for specials). This based on the mad math skills of the folks over at mmo-mechanics, specifically here: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-364.html. They indicate everything outside of Flurry utilizes Tech ACC. I have considered forgoing 5% ACC for additional Surge, but I'm already @76.67% in that category.

Though I do tend towards much of what you've mentioned, there's definitely a great deal of food-for-thought in your write up.

I'm curious: what would you consider appropriate Crit percentages?

Plikk
03.20.2013 , 09:23 PM | #12
Hello Cosyc,

Sorry it took me so long to reply, was a long day for me. If I'm playing sharpshooter, I try to run minimum 35% crit. However, I don't go above it either. If I run DF, I aim for 40%. These days I'm running a hybrid spec for pvp and pve, dependent on the situation, and sit around 38.5%

As for the accuracy, just to clarify:

Any ability that uses "weapon damage" = White Damage
Any ability that uses "internal", "kinetic", or "elemental" = Yellow/Tech Damage

Therefore, any ability you have that states does "x" amount "weapon damage" to target can and will be mitigated by most defensive cool downs currently in the game. This is why you want a higher acc rating than the other specs, because the majority of the abilities you use as sharpshooter are listed as "weapon damage", I believe. I do agree with you though that too much accuracy might be more of a hindrance than a help. I honestly couldn't tell you though, because SS has not been my primary spec for a while, sorry. ><

This is what I was basically taught when I was a wee little 'slinger, working my way up the illustrious republic ranks. If you already know all of this, then just disregard my blah blahing and I apologize in advance if this post sounds pretentious. If not, then keep the conversation going!! (My server forums are full of jack a s s ery and flame wars, it's nice to have some intelligent discussion for once.)
Deatch
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Cosyc
03.21.2013 , 10:27 PM | #13
Late now, so a more thorough update tomorrow. But I did want to illustrate the advice given has been taken to heart.

Presuming a decent level of cooperation, this is about par for me as of late (and this was a fast one):

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7...3032121390.jpg

Top damage maybe one out of every 3-4 wins. But always high medal count with 5k+ hits. My single-target damage is astounding. So much so that top DPS is irrelevant to my 'feel good' level. Good stuff.

Thank you all.

Korgothias
04.01.2013 , 05:00 PM | #14
In the case of SS, your dps rotation should be similar to the pve rotation. Your main focus should be using trickshot As much as possible, meaning WHENEVER off CD. One benefit of slinger is that with a 35 meter range, you can usually switch targets without even restarting the rotation, which you should do before moving if possible whenever your target goes out of range or line of sight.
Nachto, Monsta, Hädes, Monstarr, Shatten, Sländerous
Slanderous, Nachtos, Sländer, Slanderóus, Nächto
The Hades legacy

Arovien
04.06.2013 , 12:11 AM | #15
Pre-2.0 Dirty Fighting (Lethality)> SS

SS isn't very good in higher level of play. Dirty Fighting does more efficient DPS because its mostly tech damage and the natural AOE property on Sharp Bomb lends itself to setting up on one of three targets. One great feature of SS over Dirty Fighting is its defensive utility (the Aimed Shot knockback, improved hunkered down, lower cooldown on leg shot, the -accuracy ability). Realistically tho, DF is more about damage on the fly. SS is turret DPS + utility. Good players will LOS a SS til u respec to DF.

But meh, everything will change in a few days.
Aro'Vien - Sage Healer

dcgregorya
04.07.2013 , 01:33 AM | #16
There's really only 3 things that you need to worry about:

1) Are you dying too much? Time in respawn is not time spent doing damage.
2) Are you attacking the wrong people? Don't shoot the tank.
3) Are you using AOEs and vital/grenade properly? No reason not to keep flyby on cooldown and there's times when you want to DoT people (especially classes that cannot heal themselves) or nade people (clumps by doors).

And I'll also agree that there's almost never any reason to use flourish, unless the person is being actively healed or vital unless one of those special situations mentioned above (guy running off but can't heal himself, guy pillar humping and you want to put some damage on him, guy with lots of armor and you want to put some internal damage on him, etc).

FromAbove
04.18.2013 , 09:41 AM | #17
The OP here is definitely speaking loud and clear to me as a fellow sharpshooter trying to get better, although post-2.0 numbers have shifted up. I was working on a bigger reply looking for more specific advice, but instead I figure I'll try applying some of the stuff in here first (I could definitely throw more Sab Charges and use Flourish less).

One thing I was hoping to ask for though was advice for situations when you're getting destroyed in a pug (since I mostly do pugs). I hit 55 last night and got rolled a few times over consecutively, enjoying the attentions of Assassins and Maras far more than I would have liked. The Maras thing is funny cause I feel like pre-55 I usually destroyed them, but not last night. On the plus side, I learned that Maras can hit you even when they're CCed; on the downside, I felt like a liability. Okay, granted there are matches that basically are lost causes from the start--but I really don't want to be one of the players who's rendered completely ineffectual in those kinds of WZs.

So, any advice on how to keep your numbers up (and by extension maybe make those matches less lopsided) when you are getting hassled by superior opposition?