Healing

Vertex

Bioware - Either buff healers effective output in pvp, buff their survivability, or remove healing from PVP entirely because right now healing is neither fun or engaging and only results in rage.

I have tested healing in a duel with my Sentinel friend - both of us in full Battlemaster - and he can kill me 1v1 with no movement and no interrupts - just his damage vs my healing. I have been healing in PVP for the past 4 years over a number of MMO's. Currently I am playing a Scoundrel but have also got a Commando and a Sage healer. None of them are viable in PVP anymore, not in warzones anyway. The only time I don't want to Alt-F4 and bash my head against a brick wall for the rest of the warzone is when I queue with my guild in a group with a tank, and even then, I can't survive against more than 2 or more competent melee DPS.

To the people that are saying this is the way the game should be and that healers should have to use all the tricks in their arsenal to survive I actually agree, but when 1 DPS sitting on you forces you to focus on nothing but your own survival something is wrong.

Example

Assassin opens on me

I use my trinket - already at 50% health

I use my stun and begin casting a heal on myself

Assassin breaks the stun with his trinket

Assassin interrupts my heal

I flash grenade and run away casting HoT's on myself

I line of sight and begin casting a heal

Marauder leaps to me

I pop my defensive cooldowns - Defence Screen and Dodge

I begin casting a heal

I die.

Is this REALLY correct design?

Edited by Vertex

What class do you play?

I only have Issue surviving vs sentinel/marauders guardian/juggernaughts assassins/shadows and vanguard/powertech. 1v1, I can survive if I am allowed to move / line of sight / stun etc.

My main complaint, is that in Warzones, healers are easily spotted - and killed in seconds if more than 1 person is attacking them without a guard.

Edited by Vertex

So by your example, you to cant survive 2V1 and that makes healing broken? How about a spammable paladin version lay on hands that brings you to max health? Oh and a bubble that absorbs 700,000 damage before busting also spammable. Would that fix it for you?

Example

Assassin opens on me

Marauder leaps to me

I begin casting a heal

I die.

I say troll post.

If this is a real post, you completely forgot about EMP, your free instant heal that consumes UH. If you were even a mediocre healer, you would have at least a few people HoT'ed up and getting UH procs. So yes we still need UWM, but you should have been able to heal yourself a few times with EMP before needing to start UWM casts.

Also rotate your cc's, don't use dirty kick followed by flash bang. Hit them with dirty kick, if they break it then use leg blast to slow them so you can get out of melee range and then hit UWM. Flash bang is best saved as either an "oh Sh!it" stun or to get free of multiple attackers.

I also used the 2 pts in Sawbones to get a small speed burst when using Dodge, that helps some in running away from people. Also if you spec into the reduction in cd for you dirty kick, you get another speed burst and lower the cd to 30secs.

Play around with your spec and rotate you cc's more instead of blowing them all on one attacker.

Edit: even if you die alot from getting focused, that's still damage you prevented from being dished out to another player. As a healer, even if you are running around for dear life getting focused, you are still distracting the enemy and contributing to your teams success. Although its not directly healing them, you are effectively negating some of the enemies by keeping them busy. I can't count the number of times I have taken an objective or planted a bomb because the teo enemy defenders were so focused on killing the healer they forgot about me.

Edited by Keyran-Halcyon

Wait... a tank has trouble beating the healer that's best at sustained/lolHoT healing?

STOP THE PRESSES! :rolleyes:

Aw yes... But he is a Tankassin which means on these forums he should clearly be able to burst them down because tankassin's have insane burst with double shock crits able to hit for 7-9K depending on which story you read which may or may not change during the course of the discussion.

yea it looks like your example is a 2v1...in which case you should die.

I used that example to try and give an insight of what it's like to heal in warzones - they aren't 1v1 scenario's. As a healer you are the primary target of everyone, when you have to go all out and use your cooldowns to survive against 1 dps - it's impossible to survive against 2/3/4 at a time which is always the case.

It's not exactly fair, considering most DPS would probably prefer it if healers didn't even exist, and so the arguement is bias. If you think the game is balanced this way try and play a healing class in a warzone without rage-quitting.

Bioware - Either buff healers effective output in pvp, buff their survivability, or remove healing from PVP entirely because right now healing is neither fun or engaging and only results in rage.

I have tested healing in a duel with my Sentinel friend - both of us in full Battlemaster - and he can kill me 1v1 with no movement and no interrupts - just his damage vs my healing. I have been healing in PVP for the past 4 years over a number of MMO's. Currently I am playing a Scoundrel but have also got a Commando and a Sage healer. None of them are viable in PVP anymore, not in warzones anyway. The only time I don't want to Alt-F4 and bash my head against a brick wall for the rest of the warzone is when I queue with my guild in a group with a tank, and even then, I can't survive against more than 2 or more competent melee DPS.

To the people that are saying this is the way the game should be and that healers should have to use all the tricks in their arsenal to survive I actually agree, but when 1 DPS sitting on you forces you to focus on nothing but your own survival something is wrong.

Example

Assassin opens on me

Marauder leaps to me

I begin casting a heal

I die.

LOL. My 31/0/10 Shadow in DPS gear loves making you focus on saving ONLY yourself.

On a side note, mentioning how long you've been doing this or that really amounts to squat. Just look around you when you're driving home. Those people have been driving for years and years... ya feel meh?

What class do you play?

I only have Issue surviving vs sentinel/marauders guardian/juggernaughts assassins/shadows and vanguard/powertech. 1v1, I can survive if I am allowed to move / line of sight / stun etc.

My main complaint, is that in Warzones, healers are easily spotted - and killed in seconds if more than 1 person is attacking them without a guard.

Darkness spec. I know of a scoundrel healer whom I played BF with for many years and he is one of if not the best scoundrel healer on my server, and this was true prior to the change. I can get him close but in all the warzones I face off against him I have never been able to best him 1v1. I also have a friend who just finished his BM set for op healer and pretty much the same thing.

To add...this is not ever scoundrel/op healer but if I cant kill them I have effectively taken them out of the game so either way its a win.

Edited by cycao

I say troll post.

If this is a real post, you completely forgot about EMP, your free instant heal that consumes UH. If you were even a mediocre healer, you would have at least a few people HoT'ed up and getting UH procs. So yes we still need UWM, but you should have been able to heal yourself a few times with EMP before needing to start UWM casts.

Also rotate your cc's, don't use dirty kick followed by flash bang. Hit them with dirty kick, if they break it then use leg blast to slow them so you can get out of melee range and then hit UWM. Flash bang is best saved as either an "oh Sh!it" stun or to get free of multiple attackers.

I also used the 2 pts in Sawbones to get a small speed burst when using Dodge, that helps some in running away from people. Also if you spec into the reduction in cd for you dirty kick, you get another speed burst and lower the cd to 30secs.

Play around with your spec and rotate you cc's more instead of blowing them all on one attacker.

Having trouble replying as I am currently in Ops. Of course I am using Emergency Medpack, and yes, even with 3 stacks of upper hand against a marauder slowed by leg blast. If i am under 30% health with my surge/crit relic up spamming Emergency Medpack I still die. What is the point in Emergency Medpack if it can't keep me alive against 1 dps with my relic popped?

I used that example to try and give an insight of what it's like to heal in warzones - they aren't 1v1 scenario's. As a healer you are the primary target of everyone, when you have to go all out and use your cooldowns to survive against 1 dps - it's impossible to survive against 2/3/4 at a time which is always the case.

It's not exactly fair, considering most DPS would probably prefer it if healers didn't even exist, and so the arguement is bias. If you think the game is balanced this way try and play a healing class in a warzone without rage-quitting.

I have play as a Merc Healer (76 Valor) and I have yet to rage quit. I do just fine in WZ's. My heals are always better than the top DPS.

Do I die more since 1.2? Hell yea, but before that I was a god and needed to be nerfed, maybe not as bad as we were, but it isnt as bad as people are making it out to be.

Do i get mad when I get focused and die without getting off a heal? Yes I do but it was probably a 3v1 and they had to pop some cooldowns to do that. Anyone that gets focused like that will die instantly without any hope. The fact that people are still focusing healers means that healers are the most important targets still.

Edited by Khoraji

I have play as a Merc Healer (76 Valor) and I have yet to rage quit. I do just fine in WZ's. My heals are always better than the top DPS.

Do I die more since 1.2? Hell yea, but before that I was a god and needed to be nerfed, maybe not as bad as we were, but it isnt as bad as people are making it out to be.

Do i get mad when I get focused and die without getting off a heal? Yes I do but it was probably a 3v1 and they had to pop some cooldowns to do that. Anyone that gets focused like that will die instantly without any hope. The fact that people are still focusing healers means that healers are the most important targets still.

I know, i'm not saying healers are useless, I still get atleast 500-600k from a good warzone. What i'm saying is healing is no longer fun - when you can barely survive against a single good dps eventually people will just stop healing in PVP.

I love to heal in pvp matches... And as most healers in this game, i will recognize that before patch 1.2 we were overpowered and we needed a nerf, becuase we were able to do, easy, more than 300k healing in every match and survive without much problem against 2 or 3 opponents.

Right now i have to admit that i don't have that much fun healing... I still like it, but we are dying way to fast and we are not healing enough... I don't mind the dying part... healers are suppose to be very squishy, but we are also suppose to compensate that with powerful heals, which we don't have now...

I would like to see the trauma debuff removed from pvp, so we can do good heals again.

I play both a full medicine Op and a hybrid Corruption/Madness sorc.

I die more now on both. I'm fine with that. I enjoy 1.2 healing, and I appreciate that cross healing is less effective and how it leads to higher scoring / more turnover warzones. I'm all for more dynamic gameplay.

I think the expertise damage reduction could go up a tad. Healing is fine being lower than both, in my opinion, but a 2 or 3 percentage difference in damage reduction at ~1000 expertise would be welcome, but that's not solely a healer issue and more of an overall burst issue affecting all three roles and their hybrid brethren.

The issue has nothing to do with the healers ability to heal. The real issue is Expertise...

My Marauder is running about 1250 Expertise... I have over a 23% damage increase and about 18% damage decrease. Any time damage boost is that much higher than damage mitigation you will run into the issue that is happening now. The other side of that coin is if damage is mitigated to much then it becomes impossible to kill a healer (AKA Rift Wardens). So Bioware seems to be having issues finding that balance between damage bonus and damage reduction in their Expertise system.

So which side to they error on? One that makes DPS kill people so fast they get whiplash from returning to the med center or the one that makes players pound their head into their desk because a player with a healer focusing them is impossible to kill?

Another issue compounding this is the "bolster" effect you get in PVP. Right off the bat you take a reduction in your ability to heal. This "Bolster" buff is worthless and does NOTHING to improve 50 PVP.

Over all I have to give Bioware props with trying to copy a WOW mechanic and failing.

Edited by laiboch

I know, i'm not saying healers are useless, I still get atleast 500-600k from a good warzone. What i'm saying is healing is no longer fun - when you can barely survive against a single good dps eventually people will just stop healing in PVP.

When I see "Healing is no longer fun" since 1.2, what it really means is "I am no longer OP so im not having fun"

Edited by Khoraji

When I see "Healing is no longer fun" since 1.2, what it really means is "I am no longer OP so im not having fun"

You might change your tune if you were living the April Fools experience.

Player healers have been reduced to ship droids with better AI... in some cases.

Removing trauma debuff would fix the state of healers. Damage would still be high enough to burst healers down due to expertise and healing would be high enough to save yourself and others from sticky situations.

The issue has nothing to do with the healers ability to heal. The real issue is Expertise...

My Marauder is running about 1250 Expertise... I have over a 23% damage increase and about 18% damage decrease. Any time damage boost is that much higher than damage mitigation you will run into the issue that is happening now. The other side of that coin is if damage is mitigated to much then it becomes impossible to kill a healer (AKA Rift Wardens). So Bioware seems to be having issues finding that balance between damage bonus and damage reduction in their Expertise system.

So which side to they error on? One that makes DPS kill people so fast they get whiplash from returning to the med center or the one that makes players pound their head into their desk because even with 2 healers on them they get blown up so fast they get whiplash from returning to the med center?

Another issue compounding this is the "bolster" effect you get in PVP. Right off the bat you take a reduction in your ability to heal. This "Bolster" buff is worthless and does NOTHING to improve 50 PVP.

Over all I have to give Bioware props with trying to copy a WOW mechanic and failing.

It's interesting that you say they "failed" to copy a a WoW mechanic (I'm assuming you're talking about resilience) when 1) resilience and expertise are significantly different 2) the lack of a tramua effect and the nature of resilience in WoW has lead to exactly what you complain about above, which is unkillable, godlike healers, something that isn't the case in TOR.

Removing trauma debuff would fix the state of healers. Damage would still be high enough to burst healers down due to expertise and healing would be high enough to save yourself and others from sticky situations.

Removing the trauma debuff would make healers more powerful than pre 1.2 by a significant, almost laughably unbalanced margin.

Removing the trauma debuff would make healers more powerful than pre 1.2 by a significant, almost laughably unbalanced margin.

Yeah but it would be interesting to see an 8v8 match with 4 healers on each team racking up around 800k healing each with 0 deaths 0 kills and whole heap of damage with no end result.

Having trouble replying as I am currently in Ops. Of course I am using Emergency Medpack, and yes, even with 3 stacks of upper hand against a marauder slowed by leg blast. If i am under 30% health with my surge/crit relic up spamming Emergency Medpack I still die. What is the point in Emergency Medpack if it can't keep me alive against 1 dps with my relic popped?

Well the biggest issue is who you are trying to heal through. Marauders were designed as the counter for healers, with their heal debuff. I feel you pain since now there are 3 or more of them in every warzone.

Also I suggest changing you relics, when I play heals I use a power relic, Rakata power adrenal, and defense relic.

What stats are you stacking as well? I found that switching my mods to drop my alacrity and getting more Power helps alot. Since most of our heals are instant or hots, alacrity doesn't help us as much. I aim for keeping my crit above 30%, my surge above 70% and then stackin mainly power. I do have some alacrity mods, just enough to get UWM to a 1.8s heal. But more power=bigger heals always. Crit and Surge= the CHANCE of bigger heals