why do people think that finding a guild would resolve the "community problem"?

YouYongku

Even you can find a guild, if you are not well equipped (with 18k HP and above), you will get a special treatment from your members.

Since the members here always reference WOW, I shall too.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them.

When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together.

When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you.

And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some :cool:

Similarly here, very seldom would the guildies wanna play with you if your HP is not their desired amount.

Ninjas and angsty people will cease to exist regardless of any game and generation.

Not all guilds are like that. That guild type you describe sounds more like endgame raiding guilds, where they rightfully require you to be at the very best for endgame progression. If you cannot, then what are you doing in that guild?

You should join a casual/social guild if you want a more laidback atmosphere. Or find a guild of like-minded people.

Then I would certainly not be allowed entrance into any guilds you frequent, as my hp is not that high. However, my crit and surge are through the roof. What can I say? I hit like a truck.

I think that your just a little down in the dumps, not all guilds are like this. And the general few that are either become largly ignored or there egos get to them and they think they own the server, generally not a good type of guild to be in unless its an actual sponsored or world ranking/mature endgame only guild where that type of thing is expected and you should expect it.

There are plenty of guilds that are just socail hubs and end up being basically extended family to you and forging lifelong friendships even between people who shall never meet face to face.

But if you cannot find a guild that suits you then you can always create a guild, as such you will enhance the guild based on how you want the atmosphere to be like within it, you have the power to add and remove people, to set officers who you feel are a good example of what players in the guild should be like.

Edited by Shingara

Even you can find a guild, if you are not well equipped (with 18k HP and above), you will get a special treatment from your members.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them.

When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together.

When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you.

And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some :cool:

Similarly here, very seldom would the guildies wanna play with you if your HP is not their desired amount.

Ninjas and angsty people will cease to exist regardless of any game and generation.

Sucks to be with your guild than.

I joined my guild during the guild launch on this website but they rolled on republic and i leveled a sith to 50 first.

So by the time i played on republic they all geared already but within a week of my Jedi getting to 50 i got taken in to HM Ops.

They showed me around and they try to get me as much gear as possible now i am almost fully rakata(missing boots and chest) and have a place in the raid/Ops lineup.

Sometimes you run across the bad guild like you describe OP.

Just quit it and keep looking. Gradually build up a list of questions you can ask the recruiter to help you stop wasting your time.

1. Are you a casual/Raiding/RP guild

2. Do you accept players who are less than max level

3. Do you prefer PvP or PvE or a mix

4. Is your guild chat sexy, adult, full of swearing, family friendly, firty and so on.

5. Do you require attendance at events

6. Is the guild active

7. Do you help people level or are you hands off

and so on.

People who accept an invite without asking basic question will take a lot longer to find the perfect guild for them, but even they will find one eventually. Speed it up. think about what you want and ask before you accept the invite.

Based on what you say though, ask for a "casual guild with aspirations of raiding and doing end game content" when you ask.

Edited by Bhaers

Because there are good guilds, bad guilds and then there are guilds that you describe. I'm a hardcore raider with no life, I want people to pull their weight and be the best they can be but I don't expect it of anyone, nor would I demand it. Before the guild I was with died out due to boredom, we had 2 "main" raid groups and alt/other group, which I ran on the side with my own alts and new people/people who just dinged/alts could sign up and we would do normal mode ops without ANY gear requirements or experience requirements. We had a strong tank and 1 good healer, the rest was completely irrelevant and we did fine.

Once people WANTED to raid in the nightmare groups, and had decent gear, they would be put into the list and both leaders took their choices. If you weren't in, you would be next week if the composition allowed it. None was told to do anything and nothing was expected of anyone. As long as you reasonably pulled your weight, you would be welcome.

Guilds don't build community, they destroy Community,

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

People in Guilds are less likely to quit,

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

:rolleyes:

The Guild becomes nothing more than a great big imaginary protective barrier, thrown up in a desperate attempt at protection from the great unwashed masses, a shield against the horde.

The only reason the dev's of any MMO, not just this one, want you in a Guild is because they know this -

The obligation they feel towards the Guild keeps them playing, and keeps them paying long after the fun has gone.

Blizzard have been exploiting this for years, and with the advent of Cata and all its Guild based perks, that exploitation has become so extreme that it's not even worth playing the Game unless your in a Guild.

Pretty sure if you don't want to join a guild, you don't have to. Why you want to hate on people who want to be in guilds is beyond me.

If that were true, why doesn't everyone make a one man guild?

/PinkiePieshrug

Hi guys,

thanks for your responses.

I was referring to my WOW experiences.

as for SWTOR, I never group with my guidies before.

Remember reading when one of the junior members asked if they can join them when they hit 50, they did mention about minimum equipment requirements.

once we got into the same WZ, had "OMG *** your HP so low" comments.

kinda demoralized but I understood, I couldnt do much damage or tank longer than they could, so I just be the team player in WZ.

I only run FP with my real friends before I hit 50, we're all from different guilds whom we dont play or party with our guildies.

Seems like most of the remaining players in SWTOR who didnt leave, are already in the end-game guildies.

Only could hasten up and buy some battlemaster equip soon :o

This is actually in response to people who said NO to LFG Tool, and guilds can actually resolve all these.

Can guilds really resolve the community problem?

some servers dont even have more than 5 people on fleet.

Edited by YouYongku

Any guild that says any of that, as they say "end game raiding" guild, is terrible. There is no end game on SWTOR, PVE is so easy my entire guild did it in full Battlemaster PVP gear. This game is 100% for casuals.

Thats totally wrong from my experience, first of all you can raise your item level high enough for Hard mode flashpoints by simply running dailies and modding out your gear with the epic mods, im a guild leader and i always have said that if a player isnt willing to take the time to do that solo content to get the gear then im not going to take the time to carry them through a hard mode flashpoint or a normal operation.

Even so though, normal mode EV was made to be done in greens and blues it is tuned for fresh 50's and is easier than HM FP's for the most part. I will gladly start a second group in my guild on a raiding day to take fresh 50's through EV if they just hit 50 recently and havent had time to do dailies yet, its a very easy way to gear players up, sure if your trying to join a hardcore progression guild i could see it being the way you say but 90% of guilds are alot more casual then that.

It sounds like you expect to be running hard mode operations with your guild without having taken the time to do anything else and your mad that they wont take you to be honest. We do the same thing unless we are short on players , but at the same time we will gladly run them through the normal mode operations later on that night or on another day of the week, most guilds want to see their members geared especially with the new content coming soon, if your guild isnt helping you in that way find another one because their are plenty that will.

Haha thats actually true, i love this game but some things about the end game piss me off (end game gear progression for PVE) and ive thought about quitting but being a co guild leader on top of inviting friends to play on my server and join my guild within the past month leaves me feeling far to guilty to quit this game anytime soon lol.

Any guild that says any of that, as they say "end game raiding" guild, is terrible. There is no end game on SWTOR, PVE is so easy my entire guild did it in full Battlemaster PVP gear. This game is 100% for casuals.

Isn't it great? You can come in, pick up the game and play at any moment. You're never too far from reaching the rest of the playerbase.

It's a great boon to everyone who does not have time to play anymore, what with work and families and all that.

Isn't it great? You can come in, pick up the game and play at any moment. You're never too far from reaching the rest of the playerbase.

It's a great boon to everyone who does not have time to play anymore, what with work and families and all that.

Even with work and families, a player that plays less should realise that he will progress slower, its just like anything in life the more time you put in the more you get out of it. In mmo's obviously there is a cap on the time you put in as eventually you will outpace the content, the difference is that in most mmo's its a very small percentage and only the most hardcore of hardcore that outpace the content, in this game anyone who plays 10 or so hours a week at top level can easily outpace the content in a month tops (thats for gear progression, in terms of outpacing the game by beating all of its content, well that can happen in a matter of weeks and thats including the different difficulty settings, if you dont include that then its a matter of days) We beat normal EV on our first try in my guild with 3-4 wipes , a wipe on the first boss and then a few wipes on SOA. That should never happen i dont care at what difficulty setting it should just never happen.

We are by most definitions a very casual guild, no one is obliged to show up and we raid when people do show up, we clear all the content on hard mode in 1 night with 1 or 2 wipes and we are done for the week, after your geared up in columi that is all their is to do in terms of character progression for a PVE player, log on once a week for 3-4 hours clear all the content and your done. Im pretty much completely done anyways, i think i need 1 piece of loot right now its rakata offhand, and i would have had it weeks ago probably if me and my guild had noticed sooner that master looter caused items not to drop in hard mode (fixed now) we probably ran 3 weeks worht of raids without realizing that or realising and not knowing the solution, derp!

Thats totally wrong from my experience, first of all you can raise your item level high enough for Hard mode flashpoints by simply running dailies and modding out your gear with the epic mods, im a guild leader and i always have said that if a player isnt willing to take the time to do that solo content to get the gear then im not going to take the time to carry them through a hard mode flashpoint or a normal operation.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

I maxed out everything in WOW in heroics already, whatever I can get when I solo or use the LFG tool to run normal(maxed out) then heroics(Maxed too).

Cant go to raid because I never been with them before.

As for SWTOR, I played by myself most of the time.

Never been to any HM or FP after red reaper, my own friends who run FP with me left the game.

Cant find anybody to group for, for even the normal, needless to even think about HM.

For the current guild, they seem more interested in PVPing and group with only BM geared people. I understand because it's easier to win in game :)

It sounds like you expect to be running hard mode operations with your guild without having taken the time to do anything else and your mad that they wont take you to be honest. We do the same thing unless we are short on players , but at the same time we will gladly run them through the normal mode operations later on that night or on another day of the week, most guilds want to see their members geared especially with the new content coming soon, if your guild isnt helping you in that way find another one because their are plenty that will.

I understand what you're trying to put across, an undergeared tank would cost the whole team to be wiped.

My question is if one is really maxed(items) out and still not accepted because of "elitism" then how do actually guild brings about "community"?

Is it really because of the contents or the community that makes players leave?

This

I carried one of the first ever MMORPG guild sout of NWN to the internet based communities 14-15 years ago (the original still exists in Forgotten Worlds btw, just not in modern gaming despite one guilds name claim) and for all those years I tried to make the guild the community based social experience I experienced in original NWN.

And every time I turned my back the modern player based tried to turn it into a elitist, anti social raiding guild.

They finally succeeded in EQ2 and I gave up and finally saw the modern guild for what it was.

Oh I tried some other guilds in EQ2, Rift couple times, even here in TOR and while none of those guilds were stuck up elitists like took over my old guild, they also did not add anything to the communities or societies of the games.

And as I looked around it became appearent that that was the norm.

Long gone are ther social guilds that have lively social chats with members and non members alike, now a days every guild has vent to you are mandated to stay with in the parameters of those few guildies.

Hell most self proclaimed "social guilds", some with very good nice people (if you get to meet them) now play these games with general chat turned off.

Guilds in 1997 were a tool to help create a social experience

Guilds in 2012 are a self contained enclosed and closed off group of hyper snobs who all think the guild tag makes them better then the non guilded player.

Guilds are not the sollution to the community problem.

Guilds (not all by design or intent, Im sure most guilds (not all, some really are designed to be stuck, anti socials snobs, but the mass majority are not) still have a solid and productive intent when created. But intent and well meaning only matter if thats the end result. Hiway is paved with those of good intentions after all) have become the leading problem in the destruction of MMORPG communities.

TOR is actually the perfect example on how negatively Vent affects these games as well.

In closed beta we were not allowed to use vent and other 3rd party voice chat programs, and the community in game on the beta servers was alive, active, chatty. Didnt matter what planet, didnt matter if only 3-4 people on planet, there was a ongoing exchange between players not grouped togather.

Ask yourself how often you see general holding a hour long, 2 hour long, 3 hour long conversation now since release when vent and other 3rd party voice communications were allowed? Answer honestly and you will instantly see a huge reduction in socialization and community interaction and 90% of those voice chats will be aka Guild Only Chats.

I honestly dont know what the complete answer is to this problem, I have some ideas and theories on how to get around the forced secussion and reduced communication but the number 1 thing that comes back to me is always, its time for developers to start focusing on all the players rather then the guilded players. If someone wants to be guilded, then it should be not because of special content and abilities and rewards but because of wanting to be with those players. Things like this shameful guild summit that just happened need to be thrown out the window cause as one of this genres original guild leaders.

Guilds have become part of the problem!

Not part of the solutions anymore.

Even with work and families, a player that plays less should realise that he will progress slower, its just like anything in life the more time you put in the more you get out of it. In mmo's obviously there is a cap on the time you put in as eventually you will outpace the content, the difference is that in most mmo's its a very small percentage and only the most hardcore of hardcore that outpace the content, in this game anyone who plays 10 or so hours a week at top level can easily outpace the content in a month tops (thats for gear progression, in terms of outpacing the game by beating all of its content, well that can happen in a matter of weeks and thats including the different difficulty settings, if you dont include that then its a matter of days) We beat normal EV on our first try in my guild with 3-4 wipes , a wipe on the first boss and then a few wipes on SOA. That should never happen i dont care at what difficulty setting it should just never happen.

We are by most definitions a very casual guild, no one is obliged to show up and we raid when people do show up, we clear all the content on hard mode in 1 night with 1 or 2 wipes and we are done for the week, after your geared up in columi that is all their is to do in terms of character progression for a PVE player, log on once a week for 3-4 hours clear all the content and your done. Im pretty much completely done anyways, i think i need 1 piece of loot right now its rakata offhand, and i would have had it weeks ago probably if me and my guild had noticed sooner that master looter caused items not to drop in hard mode (fixed now) we probably ran 3 weeks worht of raids without realizing that or realising and not knowing the solution, derp!

Indeed, he will progress slowly. That doesn't mean we should lock him out entirely.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them. Some actually help you out in this.......

When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together. Some actually help you out in this.......

When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you. Some actually help you out in this.......

And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some :cool:Some actually help you out in this.......

I fixed your post.......you're welcome....

To others, OMG, one bad guild eh? Maybe, I dunno, try another one? A good guild is a good guild, which is a group of people of common vein, striving towards the same general goal.....

Sorry if I prefer to

A: group with friends I've gamed with for quite some time.....

B: be in the flashpoint while you only dream of it and go /cantfindgroup

Edited by Rasticles

My question is if one is really maxed(items) out and still not accepted because of "elitism" then how do actually guild brings about "community"?
The key is recognizing quality guilds and joining those. The guild you're describing is rubbish from a community perspective. You'll want to find a group that puts their members first.