Let's get something perfectly clear...

VictorVinoda

This is about the continuous discussion about whether the sith or the jedi are really good or bad, and why I think we need to understand where this is coming from.

I don't think I have to explain that a lot of people continue to debate on whether the jedi are truly evil and the sith not.

One of the things that seems to lead some to claim that the jedi are bad is because they suppress emotions like love and seem arrogant and unrelateable.

And honestly, who can blame them? It does seem that being a jedi comes more like a chore instead of being a hero and defender of the republic and its people.

But instead of bashing the jedi let us all go back to 1977 and when the original star wars movies saw the light of day.

Remember the originals? the whole reason we have this game today?

Remember when Yoda told Luke that he would never fall in love? Or that he must disconnect himself from his friends?

I think there was only one line where Yoda said that Luke should let them go and continue his training even if it meant that they would die. He was thinking of the ultimate good because Luke needed the time to be strong enough to confront Darth Vader.

But I don't think he was told that he should not have feelings for them, just to see the brighter side of their demise.

But I do not think that it was ever established that the Jedi actually separated themselves from emotion and love. Did Obi-wan told Luke he should not try to get Leia's attention? Was Luke above celebrating and cheering when they where winning battles.

What I am trying to say is, the Jedi that we are playing as in the Old republic are the Jedi that where created by fans who distorted the meaning of being a Jedi into this emotionless molds that lead people to prefer being sith if it means being more human.

I think the whole concept of "Jedi cannot have love" started with the prequels.

Why can't Jedi love? Even the Vulcans of Star Treck got married.

Its because Lucas did not knew how to write a good character story without resorting to this cliched ideology that contradicts most of what had been established about the Jedi.

I wish things had been different. Can you imagine if in the prequels we saw a Jedi couple get married freely? I would think that it would make them more relatable and we would not have to have these discussions. There could also be no need to question the fact that the Jedi are good and the Sith are evil. There may be some individuals who are more gray than others but their ideologies would still put them at odds with one another.

so... thats my rant.

In short: The Jedi originally where never established to be stoic or loveless, that was established after, which I think was a mistake, and makes people confused when it should not be hard to differentiate the Jedi as good and the Sith as evil, even if it would not work that way in the real world, this is a fantasy, and there is no use to think that they could be something else.

Oh Lucas, what have you done?

Jedi aren't good, they are lawful neutral if anything. Sith are...well Sith.

Also, Black-and-White morality is a) outdated and b) boring. Someone should've told Lucas that when he made the original 3 movies, as he tried so hard to make the Rebels purely white and good and the Empire all black and evil. Funny thing is, he failed to do even that.

Also, Black-and-White morality is a) outdated and b) boring. Someone should've told Lucas that when he made the original 3 movies, as he tried so hard to make the Rebels purely white and good and the Empire all black and evil. Funny thing is, he failed to do even that.

Wasn't the original Star Wars a call back to those old stories?

Oh well, your opinion.

While yes, the OT didn't state anything about the fact that Jedi couldn't fall in love, that's hardly evidence of anything. In fact, very little about the Jedi was actually elaborated upon. We knew nothing about their creed, their views, or the nature of the Jedi Order.

All we knew was that the Jedi were good, used laser swords, and had mystical powers. Everything else was a blank.

While yes, the OT didn't state anything about the fact that Jedi couldn't fall in love, that's hardly evidence of anything. In fact, very little about the Jedi was actually elaborated upon. We knew nothing about their creed, their views, or the nature of the Jedi Order.

All we knew was that the Jedi were good, used laser swords, and had mystical powers. Everything else was a blank.

exactly, and now that we have established THIS identity of the Jedi we can see why so many people dislike them or find them hard to relate to.

Maybe I just like being a calm hero who understands what needs to be done and sacrifices personal priorities for the good of everyone else around them.

hmmm

I believe that what makes jedi particularly odious in the eyes of some is the fact that they hide under a masquerade of benevolence while de facto having the same aspirations for glory and power as the sith. Hence what makes jedi repugnant is the dishonesty inherent in their very existence.

I think there is a common misconception here. Nobody ever said that the Jedi are forbidden to have emotions. What is forbidden is the loss of the grip over the emotions and the enslavement to basic urges and passions like greed or fear.

It's actually explained in Episode 2 - the Jedi are in fact encouraged to love, it's just the attachments and the selfishness that are not allowed. Come to think about it, going to the other side of the Galaxy to fight and possibly die for the good of people you've never met before is a testament of love. Not love in the romantic sense, yes, but love for all life and utter altruism.

Now that I think about it,

during my earlier leveling as a Sith Warrior on Balmorra, I totally saw that, just from the POV of the other side. I killed four Jedi there, in the story quests when I crushed the resistance. One even had the "audacity" to lie that he was there on his own and not on the Republic's orders. But really, forget that they are hostile NPCs and look it from their POV - they willingly went to a world besieged by evil and tried to help the locals fight for their freedom.

Well...

I've always viewed Sith Philosophy as kind of a weird hybrid between Randian Objectivism and the Ubermenschen ideal.

A Sith is supposed to act with utter enlightened Self-interest, doing only things that benefit themselves in both the short and long term. The Sith that go lightsaber-killingspree-happy are failures. They act with no consideration to their future power base or generation of loyal servants who will aid their ascent to being top dog.

The end goal of is this is 'freedom'. This is not the freedom to act purely on impulse and whim, but the freedom to no longer be constrained by morality as others define it. You redefine morality and reality around you via your absolute strength of Will and determination.

The reason Sith disdain weakness or for example, helping others is simple. If you continually help others, you weaken them. They come to rely upon you instead of pulling themselves up and finding their own inner strength.

This is why the Sith detest the Jedi, seeing them as doing nothing but breeding weakness and decay, creating a galaxy that -needs- the Jedi Order to solve their problems or fix the catastrophe of the day.