The Empire speaks Galactic Basic + Humans in the Empire

Blackholeskipper

So yea, as the title says, I've just noticed there's something odd about the Empire speaking basic. The Empire basically started with refugees from the Great Hyperspace War following the Emperor to Dromund Kaas. Before then they were members of the Sith civilization of Korriban. Since this civilization was largely ignorant of the existence of the Republic, how come they speak the same language :rak_02:

I guess it's possible that the Dark Jedi brought the language when they arrived on Korriban (but they were very few in number) or that the Sith originally spoke basic (which seems odd). Or maybe they adopted the language as more practical when they conquered half the galaxy.

Of course it makes sense since it's a game and we have to understand what's being said but it's still a bit of a "lore hole" (some codex entires on the subject could be fun!). And on a similar subject, where did the humans in the Empire come from? We know they were there on Dromund Kaas thousands of years ago already (as seen in the timeline vids), did they originate as slaves or what :rak_02: Surely they're not descendants of the original dark jedi since they became purebloods. What do you guys think?

Edit: Okay, I have confirmation that the orignal Sith spoke their own language and that the jedi exiles adopted it as their language.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_language

"The Sith language (or simply Sith) was the native language of the people of Ziost and Korriban. It was adopted as the mystical language of the Sith Order after the Dark Jedi Exiles enslaved the Sith species."

"The Sith language became a symbol of the newly created Sith Order, a powerful sect of dark side adepts."

Edited by Blackholeskipper

If you watch, say, the movie Troy. You have lots and lots of ancient Greeks and Troyjans running around. Yet they all speak perfect modern english.

If you can answer why that is so, you have the answer o your question :)

Actually, no. Both the Greeks and Trojans spoke Ancient Greek, which means that English is just a substitute for the language. What I'm asking is why the Empire and the Republic speak the same language, when they both formed in almost complete isolation from each other, not why Galactic Basic Standard sounds like English.

My theory is that since the Dark Jedi (Ajunta Pall, Karness Muur Xoxxan etc) spoke basic and were revered as gods by the Sith, it became something of a holy language for the Sith. If you speak the language of the gods you know you're in a good place. And of course we see Naga Sadow speak to Gav Daragon in the comics, so he must know Basic very well, if it's not his native language.

That's how I see it.

And we know that there were some (Tionese I believe) Humans that encountered the Sith civilisation before Naga Sadow attacked, so there we have the Humans. Interbreeding between them and the Sith would no doubt diminish Sith purity in the end, and we know that some Sith of this Empire (Harkun for example) have Sith blood in their immidiate family yet look completely Human.

Edited by Gratulor

Actually, no. Both the Greeks and Trojans spoke Ancient Greek, which means that English is just a substitute for the language. What I'm asking is why the Empire and the Republic speak the same language, when they both formed in almost complete isolation from each other, not why Galactic Basic Standard sounds like English.

If you play a Republic character, it might be the Imperial NPcs you talk to only talk Republic Basic when they talk to you.

And when you play an Imperial charcter, maybe the english is just the substitute language for whatever language they use, and the Republic NPCs you talk to either use that substitute as well, or your character switches to Republic Basic.

I doubt anyone wants to listen to a language they don't understand throughout the whole game. Plus they would either have to invent a language, or you'd have convos that repeat the same sentence again and again, like when you talk to some Twis and so on.

Of course you could also go play on a german or french server and activate english subtitles (if that's possible) to get the immersion.

EDIT: What I meant was downloading and playing the german/french version, not playing on such a server of course.

Edited by Chim-Lou

What's more mind-boggling is they all take the same form of currency.

Apparently the concept of the "galactic credit" predates civilization itself....

Or maybe your credit chip automatically converts acquired currency into some baseline, accounting for exchange rates, etc.?

Of course, we know that in the far future, Republic credits are worthless in the Outer Rim, so why they'd be good in the Unknown Regions/SithEmpire is beyond me.

What's more mind-boggling is they all take the same form of currency.

Actually they don't. In the Revan novel it is made clear that the Empire uses its own currency. I think the game stayed true to this in the initial months when you couldn't directly trade with the Republic (if we overlook the Nar Shaddaa GTN).

You have lots and lots of ancient Greeks and Troyjans running around. Yet they all speak perfect modern english.

I hate to correct you but, apart from Peter O'Toole and few other British actors, they don't speak perfect English. :D

Edited by Path-x

Actually they don't. In the Revan novel it is made clear that the Empire uses its own currency. I think the game stayed true to this in the initial months when you couldn't directly trade with the Republic (if we overlook the Nar Shaddaa GTN).

I hate to correct you but, apart from Peter O'Toole and few other British actors, they don't speak perfect English. :D

I seem to recall that the galactic credit was only any good on the core & inner worlds. The older comics made references to getting money converted several times.

As a Brit I'm inclined to argee about "Perfect English" but I'm sure that the American's, Australian's and the Irish wouldn't.