Speech Bubbles...again

Moroder

I've never used chat bubbles, and i come from WoW. What is more annoying -here- is simply the long range for /say and emote.

What I do for sanity is judicious use of chat windows. When Rp'ing, I have one that ONLY shows local /say, and emotes. And I arrange this where I can see the damn thing. For closer communications/whispers, I use a party tab - also in another display window on the screen.

It also doesn't help that there is so many chat issues. My guild's guild chat is not working for 90% of the time people log in. We are having the same issue with party chat. We have had to create custom channels to replace these for the time being.

I've never used chat bubbles, and i come from WoW. What is more annoying -here- is simply the long range for /say and emote.

What I do for sanity is judicious use of chat windows. When Rp'ing, I have one that ONLY shows local /say, and emotes. And I arrange this where I can see the damn thing. For closer communications/whispers, I use a party tab - also in another display window on the screen.

I don't think that's annoying at all. I always felt the WoW /say range was too short.

Well, my point was more than one *needs* to separate their display channels. I can't imagine trying to concentrate on what's going on either w/o filters.

But even on WoW, sans chat bubbles, I had a hard time when there were a lot of people in the room - not everyone can multitask or read that fast.

Yay another thread about this. (I mean that 'yay' in a good way). The more that crop up in every sub forum, the better chance a dev will see it and finally taking a flipping official stand on the subject.
Yup, it's good to see many of these threads popping up.

Time to plug mine, I guess:

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Please visit it, read it comment on it, give your input, keep it afloat. Let the devs know a large amount of us want and need an option to turn on chat bubbles.

I really don't get the big deal. I turned them off in SWG, and never missed them. Not only did it improve performance, reduce lag, and make it easier to see who I was talking to, but I preferred the aesthetic of not walking around in a comic book.

This is probably a stupid question, but what is the advantage of chat bubbles?

I say this as someone who is friendly to roleplay, but far too shy to do so. I'm not at all arguing their importance! Just curious. (And it might be completely obvious if I ever had role played in an MMORPG.)

I see a lot of people going 'what's the big deal about chat bubbles'. IDK your RP experiences, but in Galaxies, as an IC entertainer, I regularly went to events that had so many people that watching the chatbox was an exercise in futility. Even with just the barebones /say, /emote, /yell text enabled, it was nigh impossible to follow what was going on. I read fairly quickly but I'm not a speed reader! (I'm talking from 20-50 people all in chat range. Good luck there!)

Enter the chat bubble. You're at a big event and you have a little group of people all in close proximity to you, speaking with your character? Focus the camera on your group and your group only. This lets you effectively ignore all the chat from behind your character, across the room, etc which in reality...is a little more realistic. After all, you're not going to be able to hear someone from across the room anyway and in games WITHOUT chat bubbles, I see people talking this way all the time.

They're also handy when there's not "Hey I'm talking" default animations. Guy is standing by you at the bar asking if you want a drink. With chat bubbles on, you can SEE that he just said something to you, vs. trying to find a possibly unfamiliar name in a sea of chat scroll.

Chat bubbles also let you play with player names turned off. I find that player names clutter my screen with a far greater frequency than chat bubbles ever did, with the exception of large player events.

I'm getting by without but it's way easier and much less migraine inducing to play WITH them.