SWTOR May Still Be Headed Down a Dark Path (LONG POST)

MOPSFounder

I like TUXs too. But that does not make him right. ;)

He's right only when I agree with him. :p See how personal perspecitve works? :D

lol :) I like EVERYONE! I have nothing against this game either, I like it, love parts of it...but I HATE seeing it fall apart while Bioware does little or nothing to stop the bleeding.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flat out ignoring their customers.

Now now, we both know that the correct word here is "sometimes" or if you are really jaded, "often". Flat out means "never" and we both know just last week they listened to PTS feedback and altered the colorschemes of the new tier armor. :)

I have no interest in their success/failure, other than enjoying the people I play this game with.

That is true regardless, until they close the servers though.

Now now, we both know that the correct word here is "sometimes" or if you are really jaded, "often". Flat out means "never" and we both know just last week they listened to PTS feedback and altered the colorschemes of the new tier armor. :)

That is true regardless, until they close the servers though.

True. I guess I like to spice things up at times, even though I very consciously try to avoid doing such things.

They obviously have, from time to time, but it seems to be on the little things, like the color of armor, not removing Op lockouts, not on PvP, not on names, not on chat bubbles, not on PTS transfers...just little stuff typically. Arguably bigger things to some people, but it does feel like nothing being said is being heard at times.

Example...the space game. Arguably the weakest point of this entire game (next to PvP/Ilum). Sure, they have some super duper secret uber space project in "development"...but for the next 4-6 months, we'll see nothing but more of the SAME. Honestly, why?! What they have was so poorly received, that the idea of developing anything more for it seems utterly foolish. Yeah yeah...I know there are a handful of you folk who love it as it is...but there aren't enough of you to justify more of the same imo.

With the massive decline in subs, I just there needs to be a little more fire lit under Bioware. They may be content to watch their game fail, I'm not. Their timeline isn't good enough to me. Accepting their lackadaisical style, isn't going to happen for me. I deal with it, but I don't at all accept it as "normal" or acceptable.

This is talk of EAWare always talking about this and that "Coming Soon™" when they don't deliver weeks/months after what they've talked about. Don't you think it's about time they either put up or shut-up with the content teases?

Your expectations are unrealistic. Why?

Because it's pretty normal behavior for MMOs to be honest. They tell you about future content. Some of it comes, some of it does not come. And they NEVER give you calander commitments until the content is done and pretty much ready for patching.

And there is a reason for it. I know people like to pretend from the comfort of their arm chair that content is just a few lines of code here and there and a simple regression test and release. Fact is they are one of the most complex types of gaming software there is.

Edited by Andryah

Your expectations are unrealistic. Why?

Because it's pretty normal behavior for MMOs to be honest. They tell you about future content. Some of it comes, some of it does not come. And they NEVER give you calander commitments until the content is done and pretty much ready for patching.

And there is a reason for it. I know people like to pretend from the comfort of their arm chair that content is just a few lines of code here and there and a simple regression test and release. Fact is they are one of the most complex types of gaming software there is.

Not to mention that this has been the general behavoir of:

1. PnP RPG Games (Game Cons, Panels)
  2. Miniatures Games (Game Cons, Panels)
  3. Comic Books (Comic Cons, Panels)
  4. Sci Fi (Cons, Panels)

Pretty much any geek entertainment.....

Here is one that will blow your mind. On the BBS' (remember those) for Star Wars Fans circa 1981, there was speculation about how Anakin was turned into Vader. Non-confirmed "sources" said Obiwan and Anakin had a light sabre battle and Obiwan kicks Anakin "into a volcano". We waited YEARS to see if this was true or not ( it was close).

Edited by Urael

The biggest thing they did was cater to the casual gamers. Making the game to easy on pve aspect screwed them when it came to end game. Far to easy for players to burn threw. Pvp wise they fuked with world pvp. Not enough mix of players crossing. Orgin planets I get, all the other planet should of had major flow of action if players crossed Paths. Illum well that speaks for itself. Warzones are fine but they lack large scale warzones. Limit of 8 Players per side??? Really is that all they can manage? I was pumped for this game an enjoy the hell out of it when I was sub.

I did NOT unsub because of the price. Game as a whole is worth the monthly fee if the add on to it as promised and fixed it up as they went. I have moved on to another mmo, an I don't believe I'll be coming back even when it's free. EA is a company that has ruined many other game in which I enjoyed in the past until they merged or bought them. Today those games are still being made but now they are cheap an dumb. An I have a good feeling that ToR is going to suffer the same fate.

Let's put warhammer guy (don't recall the name) in charge, you know he did so well with the mmo warhammer. It's a shame this game has turned out to be just like Swg. I'm not certain which one was a bigger failure at this point.

they may have tried to cater for casuals,but did a poor job,,or this game would be swamped with casuals

no theres only (mostly) hardcores and fans left now,,and ,,,surprise,,not enough to keep game going

looks like nobody wants to "L2P NOOB",,they just leave for something better

This.

OP accept the game isnt for you and move on, blatently lieing about the game doesnt give your post any credibility. Your comments are far to opinionated, biased and with false information for it to stand up to any decent discussion. Unfortunatly its childish posts like this that are holding up the game improving because BW are listening to the vocal few instead of the majority who are playing the game.

BTW the game is still hugely succesful, and Ive been very happy with the content thats been added, id like it to be more frequent and more depth, but in a years time we will see a very different game, much improved and a lot more content.

"hugely successful",,oh yea we can all see that,,,its good that you like the content, but a lot didnt, and simply left

so next year we will get the content , that should been in the game from launch? how many will wait for that?

they tried to make a wowkiller, released it before it was done, and now they have big problems

wow sold out to china, GW2 hackers paradise, do these guys sabotage each others work or something?

I am entirely in agreement with the OP.

The game is neither great nor bad, but it is true that Bioware is not following through with James Ohlen's statements (then Game director, now is completely off the radar.. maybe in a nice closet?). Is this a sign that EAware took control and messed up James' plans? We'll never know.

But the facts are that despite early promises that we would, as subscribers, get our money's worth of updates month after month, the updates have been taking longer and longer to reach us.

As the OP wrote, I am, too, doubtful that EAware will be able to stick to their six weeks content update plan. They've failed with the monthly update plan when they had a full team. I want to be wrong, I want the OP to be wrong, but the facts are not in EAware favour...

The content that is in 1.4 and beyond (Makeb, new space missions, Hyperspace warzone, HK-51) was announced in june at E3 already. Since then EAware has been rehashing the same "update" in its communication with nothing new. It's been rewarming the plate with already known content...

Meh I'm still going to give this game the benfit of the doubt even tho I just came back today after I had stopped playing 2 months after launch.

Plus with the latest fiasco with blizzard's new patch on wow (Just read the forums on the us & eu and look up crz) any mmo has to be better then that garbage of a patch and x-pac they just put out.

I said this on another thread; saying that this game is dying well before F2P "releases" means nothing. Saying that the devs/company are silent before F2P seems to be the standard. Overall this game is still new, and it is impossible to see what exactly is going to happen in the next few months.

I said this on another thread; saying that this game is dying well before F2P "releases" means nothing. Saying that the devs/company are silent before F2P seems to be the standard. Overall this game is still new, and it is impossible to see what exactly is going to happen in the next few months.

It's kinda humorous considering the fact the game is still in the top tier of sub numbers (at least after WoW) and has more subs than a good majority of MMO's this far in it's life. Did the game live up to Bioware's expectations in subscribers? No. Is the game a "failure" as far as MMO's go? Hardly.

Edited by odericko

What an incredibly one-sided thread. If you actually wanted to determine where SWTOR was going you would not have left ALL the good parts out. This is nothing but hate my friend and you will generate nothing else with it.

These doom threads have been here since forever so move along people, nothing to see here.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

What an incredibly one-sided thread. If you actually wanted to determine where SWTOR was going you would not have left ALL the good parts out. This is nothing but hate my friend and you will generate nothing else with it.

These doom threads have been here since forever so move along people, nothing to see here.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

What good stuff? The only thing I remember that was remotely good was the Rakghoul Plague World Event and when each new Operation and Flashpoint was just released at its time. :p

It's kinda humorous considering the fact the game is still in the top tier of sub numbers (at least after WoW) and has more subs than a good majority of MMO's this far in it's life. Did the game live up to Bioware's expectations in subscribers? No. Is the game a "failure" as far as MMO's go? Hardly.

You seem to forget that SWTOR cost at least 200 million to develop, but total cost is probably over 300 million once you factor in advertisement and other expenses. It's a failure in that the game with a huge budget couldn't even keep half their subs and based on current trend may well be below the 500k or near that mark of subscribers, which in it's self is failure by swtor own statements when the game launch. Here is forbes report about EA and impact swtor has on EA. SWTOR is like the child that could have, but never amounted to any thing.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/07/19/five-reasons-ea-is-in-decline/

True. I guess I like to spice things up at times, even though I very consciously try to avoid doing such things.

They obviously have, from time to time, but it seems to be on the little things, like the color of armor, not removing Op lockouts, not on PvP, not on names, not on chat bubbles, not on PTS transfers...just little stuff typically. Arguably bigger things to some people, but it does feel like nothing being said is being heard at times.

Example...the space game. Arguably the weakest point of this entire game (next to PvP/Ilum). Sure, they have some super duper secret uber space project in "development"...but for the next 4-6 months, we'll see nothing but more of the SAME. Honestly, why?! What they have was so poorly received, that the idea of developing anything more for it seems utterly foolish. Yeah yeah...I know there are a handful of you folk who love it as it is...but there aren't enough of you to justify more of the same imo.

With the massive decline in subs, I just there needs to be a little more fire lit under Bioware. They may be content to watch their game fail, I'm not. Their timeline isn't good enough to me. Accepting their lackadaisical style, isn't going to happen for me. I deal with it, but I don't at all accept it as "normal" or acceptable.

My Comment

PVP - Those people whine no matter what happens [in every game that I have played this is the case]

Names - Fine as they are

Chat bubble - Hell No on those

PTS - Now it is no longer a problem but OK to have so neutral on that point

Space Game: Could use the possibility of move multiple people in one ship or Guild capital ships but not a MUST

What is needed more IMO

Is Chapter 4 - 5

More Flash points for lvl 50 including higher difficulty modes

level cap increased as 5 to 10 levels per chapter

New Planets with all the story lines

My list does not match your list if you were a developer which one to choose since you always going to piss some people off.

My Comment

PVP - Those people whine no matter what happens [in every game that I have played this is the case]

Names - Fine as they are

Chat bubble - Hell No on those

PTS - Now it is no longer a problem but OK to have so neutral on that point

Space Game: Could use the possibility of move multiple people in one ship or Guild capital ships but not a MUST

What is needed more IMO

Is Chapter 4 - 5

More Flash points for lvl 50 including higher difficulty modes

level cap increased as 5 to 10 levels per chapter

New Planets with all the story lines

My list does not match your list if you were a developer which one to choose since you always going to piss some people off.

We should be seeing most of that with the Makeb update, along with the long awaited SGR content

Pretty much this all the negative press comes from the WoW killer hype.

All this "killer" stuff is Bull. There is not "killer" product not in iPhone iPod games never.

It is not the most successful but second most successful MMO.

If the invested amount of money was so stupidly high they should not blame the dev's but the manager idiots who did not manage the costs or tried to save on wrong places. [see EA]

Game was rushed and truly not finished until 1.3 which should have been the state at the date of release. [again management problem]

Even the stupid Hero engine decision is management decision since they read the brochure on increased productivity with multiple dev's working on same area at same time and said cool less costs.

And probably dismissing at the meeting all the technical complains.

Basically all comes down the fact that the managers ****ed up and dev's just do what they told by them.

I´ve got only 1 complain. Well, i´ve got more but the one that´s realy disapointing is the comunication from EA/BW.

The lack of 2way comunication is bad, and when they say something like we will have content updates rolling out every xx amount of time, and twice that time passes with nothing new it´s disapointing. Not even a word on why.

A simple post that the content updates have been delayed and will not be happening at as fast a pace as promised, while it might be a bit disapointing at least it´s better than just delaying without saying anything.

I´m not asking for precise dates, but something other than "soon". Is soon some days, a week, some weeks, several weeks, 2-3 months ? past a few months i dont think you can defend calling anything soon.

I´ve got only 1 complain. Well, i´ve got more but the one that´s realy disapointing is the comunication from EA/BW.

The lack of 2way comunication is bad, and when they say something like we will have content updates rolling out every xx amount of time, and twice that time passes with nothing new it´s disapointing. Not even a word on why.

A simple post that the content updates have been delayed and will not be happening at as fast a pace as promised, while it might be a bit disapointing at least it´s better than just delaying without saying anything.

I´m not asking for precise dates, but something other than "soon". Is soon some days, a week, some weeks, several weeks, 2-3 months ? past a few months i dont think you can defend calling anything soon.

Pretty soon MMORPG's will need a new word for "soon" due to it's closer association with a very long time.

All I hear is:

"I hate this game! It's so stupid!"

"TOR is dead! Stupid fanbois!"

"SWTOR is going to die because it's going into FTP model"

"EAWare is going to suck all our money away because they're switching to pay to win!"

"Servers are dead and everything stinks! I waiting for 4 months to get server transfers!"

"SWTOR ruined my life because I can't find anything else to do with my time but complain!"

The bottom line is simple. There are a lot of you complainers all over the place. I read it on these forums and I read it in chat each time I log on. If the game is so bad and you're jaded because of a video game, why are you still here? Complain complain complain. Yet, you stay with the game? You give BioWare and EA a hard time for being bad managers of a game and criticize them for many things, but you're playing a game that you continually complain about!

You're like the overweight fan in the stands chewing out the professional athletes. While you drink a huge beer and eat a fatty chili dog. Clearly from your JV experience you're on the same level they are we all just fail to see it.

This game is a good game and the devs are doing just fine. Give the game time as it's young. Few people remember how rough the WoW first year was or how overloaded/overpowered some aspects were. Please stop complaining and bringing this bull crap up because that's what it is, crap.

Good day.

All I hear is:

"I hate this game! It's so stupid!"

"TOR is dead! Stupid fanbois!"

"SWTOR is going to die because it's going into FTP model"

"EAWare is going to suck all our money away because they're switching to pay to win!"

"Servers are dead and everything stinks! I waiting for 4 months to get server transfers!"

"SWTOR ruined my life because I can't find anything else to do with my time but complain!"

The bottom line is simple. There are a lot of you complainers all over the place. I read it on these forums and I read it in chat each time I log on. If the game is so bad and you're jaded because of a video game, why are you still here? Complain complain complain. Yet, you stay with the game? You give BioWare and EA a hard time for being bad managers of a game and criticize them for many things, but you're playing a game that you continually complain about!

You're like the overweight fan in the stands chewing out the professional athletes. While you drink a huge beer and eat a fatty chili dog. Clearly from your JV experience you're on the same level they are we all just fail to see it.

This game is a good game and the devs are doing just fine. Give the game time as it's young. Few people remember how rough the WoW first year was or how overloaded/overpowered some aspects were. Please stop complaining and bringing this bull crap up because that's what it is, crap.

Good day.

the funny thing is that a lot of them HAVE quit and just feel obligated to keep showing up here to try to make us stop enjoying it. The game is headed down a dark path where PVE takes precidence over PVP?!!! Oh god! You mean the way they said the game would go since pre-launch?!! What a horrible thought

Oh and people are going to hate me for this but I really honestly think that the release of new things should be twice a year in much bigger chunks.

Tweaks small fixes in between but If they have more time it generally leads to more in higher quality and the update even from psychological view is better.

Quite frankly If you close the whole team in a room for 6 months they can come up with something great. If you chase them with concept art to PTS in 60 to 80 days it is going to be as now.

Oh and people are going to hate me for this but I really honestly think that the release of new things should be twice a year in much bigger chunks.

Tweaks small fixes in between but If they have more time it generally leads to more in higher quality and the update even from psychological view is better.

Quite frankly If you close the whole team in a room for 6 months they can come up with something great. If you chase them with concept art to PTS in 60 to 80 days it is going to be as now.

Pretty much this. I have no idea where people seem to think full blown story expansions should be released multiple times every year.