What is the best ranged dps class for pvp?

Chazzazor

From the PvP tournaments I've seen (on Daragon Trail, a PvP server), Sorcerer's would be the best overall Ranged PvP DPS - considering team play AND solo play.

Definitely NOT Mercenaries... we do O.K. on a team, but get creamed 1 on 1 by most classes.

I agree on the sorcs. Even with all the crying from the bads, the only spec that was nerfed was a hybrid that was not a good 1v1 spec and was more of a lolaoe spec.

Check out remedy's videos for more info on what a sorc can do if played properly...

sniper or sorc for perfect 1v1 set up. The sorc is also good in huttball. However, beyond that sorc is super boring and not a very good competitive pvp class. The sorc right now is a great DOT class and a very great chart pro class, however in any form of competitive pvp it would suck (outside of huttball). The reason people don't realize this is because they spend most of their time pug stomping and there really isn't any competitive pvp haha. Still boring imo though and thats why I stopped playing mine.

Teamplay outside of huttball sniper is the way to go. the range of melee leaps in this game is 30m and so sniper is at a decisive advantage being the one class that can't be leapt to. also in huttball you can still be great carrier support as a sniper if you actually try to be. It is just that in huttball if you play like most chart pros as a sniper you will be relatively worthless even with your high chart dps.

used to be mercs/commandos but after the nerf i dont know. Im not saying the nerf wasn't needed, but i feel like the class (or arsenal/gunnery specs specifically) are broken. I swear to god ive seen my heatseekers hit for half as much damage as my tracers just hit before them. And unload is SOOO pathetic compared to other chain abilities like ravage.

no matter what you pick, i do not see you doing well at it. If you goal is to play something OP be default you are looking to rely on a crutch rather then your own ability, and because you do not want to rely on your own ability it means that some part of you knows that you are bad. Play what you ENJOY playing trying to pick a FOTM will never work because MMOs constatly change what the FOTM this week can change next week and then you will just QQ that the broken mechanic you were abusing or whatever gets fixed and now that class is "worthless"

Snipers are great, but powertechs are better.

Almost all powertech damaging abilities ignore armore. Powertech can deal all its attacks on the move has hevy armore and self healing. rapit shots, unload and flame burst automatically apply slow on targets.

For snipers it is long time to kill havy armored targets while powertechs do it fast.

With powertech you have all you need.

1 The highest pvp damage of all classes

2. Very high mobility

3. Instant cast ranged attacks.

4. Hevay armor and self healing

5. Most attacks ignore armor

6. You can pull targets with harpoon

My powertech is small just hit 16 level but in low level i break 300 000 damage in one warzone, on other classes i did 300k+ damage only after 40+ lvl.

The powertech is no ranged dps class. ;)

Gunslinger/Sniper are fotm range dps class in pvp. Commando/Mercs the worst.

Yes they are. All pyrotech build damaging abilities have 30 meters range, only flame burst has 10 meters.

A well played gunslinger is a major asset to a team. They must be hard to play though for some people (I don't have issues playing mine) because the vast majority seem to have a lot of trouble playing them properly. All in all I'd rather be playing my vanguard though - better mobility and utility.

Gunslinger's/Snipers damage is more rapid, they are easier to get into, defended against jumpers, could have some issues with energy regeneration. Sages/Sorcs damage is more over the time, harder to get into (need to learn kiting), vunlerable to jumpers, don't have trouble with energy, have higher utility and are more mobile. IMO those two classes balance each other out. Edited by Shadenuat

Definitely not Merc/Commando. Sorc/Sage DoT tree perhaps if you're a kiting pro and like that sort of thing. Otherwise Sniper/Slinger, though there are a lot of mediocre and worse ones starting to run around now. Edited by flem

Sniper is by far the best simply because there are so many players playing classes with leaps and the leaps are 30m. Most tab targetting melees will tab to you, try to leap, then tab again. This is a HUGE advantage in pvp.

Even good melee will often try to ignore you if they can stay los of you since you are pretty deadly to melee and even if they kill you, you will hurt them.

Also, sniper is the easiest ranged pvp dps class to play at around 80% effectiveness. There is still a large difference between the skilled and unskilled but even if you are not skilled at all as long as you keep some range you can just cover and snipe + ambush for pretty nice results.

Other ranged classes have to worry about melee much more than you do and so your positioning and awareness are far less important when just trying to kill whoever is infront of you (which snipers are great at).

This is why you are seeing so many people play the class now when it is not a popular class to play at all fun wise (almost no one played it at release).

Madness sorcs, unless the other team has a carnage marauder who recognizes there's a madness sorc running around doting the whole team and kiting his pursuers to death. Carnage marauder is more or less an unwinnable fight for a madness, unless all the maras cooldowns are blown or he's at half health or something.

you don't understand pvp. It is not madness sorcs. If a madness sorcs dots are major help then the other team was going to lose horribly anyway. Madness sorcs are one of the best classes for dmg on the chart, however they are not anywhere near being a good competitive pvp class. Dots look good on charts, burst looks good for winning. People like you made sorc boring and made me a sad panda.

you don't understand pvp. It is not madness sorcs. If a madness sorcs dots are major help then the other team was going to lose horribly anyway. Madness sorcs are one of the best classes for dmg on the chart, however they are not anywhere near being a good competitive pvp class. Dots look good on charts, burst looks good for winning. People like you made sorc boring and made me a sad panda.

Know what you're talking about before telling someone they don't know what they're talking about. If a madness sorc is in an engagement, doting every target, bursting/deathmarking 3 and double doting two, every encounter now becomes unbalanced in favor of the burst fighters on the sorc's team.

Say a marauder pulls off to deal with this irrelevant class. Well, those DoTs are still up, anyway, and, assuming that marauder is not carnage (people like you don't know to roll Carnage, which benefits groups, instead of Annihilation, which gives 1 person a bunch of medals), he's been removed from the encounter (further benefiting the sorc's group) kited out and, since he's not smart enough to know to roll carnage, probably, ultimately killed.

Say a healer cleanses everyone. How many GCds has he now wasted when he otherwise would have been healing?

For 1 vs 1 PvP definitely Gunslinger/Sniper. Their crits are crazy. They are also the best at taking out healers.

For big damage numbers, I would pick sage. They have a lot of starting resource to work with, and they can heal themselves too.

However, this is a generalization. If you pick either class, learn the rotations that work for you to perfection, gear up, and know what abilities to use, and when, to stay alive, then you will pwn all nubs.

Whoever said that vanguard dps was ranged is just wrong. If you are playing vanguard as only ranged, then you are doing it wrong.

Lol Larry. My guess is this is the first game where you felt like you were good. You fight a lot of pugs and spread dots and get huge numbers. Either that or you were one of the Necros early on in Rift. Lol.

By the time you are finished spreading your dots the well played burst player has already killed 2-3 of the other team's biggest threats.

Now I'm not saying sorc is worthless as sorc has several of the best huttball skills. Also, sorc can still heal pretty well if you pay attention to your positioning and/or have support. Anyone who is actually good at pvp both as a pug player and a premade player against both pugs and GOOD premades knows that burst trumps dots. If the match is a runover the burst player would have killed them faster and if the match is near even the burst player can tilt it.

and i agree that ptech is the easiest class to play (especially if you have any support at all, duo is fine) at 80% but I mean if you are playing it at 80%+ then you aren't really a ranged player at least relative to sniper,merc,sorc, etc.