Back From GW2: Couldn't Be Happier

Sindorin

First off, I have probably been playing this game since around a year before launch, in a myriad of beta rounds. I've been playing pretty much since launch as well, with the exception of this past month when I made the mistake of buying Guild Wars 2. I have to say, SWTOR is infinitely better, despite some of it's obvious flaws. The style and mechanics of Guild Wars make it more of a multiplayer game and less of an MMO. It's pretty much the same as the original, with less instancing. No quests, heart/jump puzzle/waypoint grinding and WvWvW Zergs where you can do nothing without a blob of people with you.

SWTOR is just a much more polished, and well designed game than Guild Wars 2, that relies on tried and tested MMORPG mechanics. This whole "re-invent the wheel" trend with MMO's is ultimately going to fizzle, and we will realize once again that quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items.

tl;dr? Tried GW2, hated it, glad to be back to SWTOR.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is no single MMO that is everything to everyone.

GW2 is fun to knock around in for a change of pace (and it is in my stable of several that I currently play), but I do agree that overall SWTOR is a much more polished product. Whenever I log in to SWTOR, the first thing I notice is the UI, and how great it is compared to other MMOs, and the smoothness of game play overall. Yeah, there are still bugs, and if you are a hyperactive PvP gerbil then the UI is not good enough. Happily, I hung up the gerbil costume years ago so I could care less.

Your Opinion. I happen to like both games. I play both. GW2 is free month to month. I am playing it to relieve me of my TOR burnout. I am also waiting to see how the F2P deployment goes.

It's opinion that I don't like it. But like it or not, there isn't much to do unless you like puzzles. No quests, no real gear progression, and a severe lack of character development and progression. You learn all the skills and abilities you need by level 20. The other 60 levels are filler content, as if it was an afterthought and a reminder of the hard cap from GW1.

Most people come up with the excuse that it's "not a traditional MMO. It's different, the gameplay style is different. Learn to play. You'll like it!" I usually just say you're right. It's not a traditional MMO. It's not an MMO at all.

Edited by Sindorin

Well, there is no single MMO that is everything to everyone.

GW2 is fun to knock around in for a change of pace (and it is in my stable of several that I currently play), but I do agree that overall SWTOR is a much more polished product. Whenever I log in to SWTOR, the first thing I notice is the UI, and how great it is compared to other MMOs, and the smoothness of game play overall. Yeah, there are still bugs, and if you are a hyperactive PvP gerbil then the UI is not good enough. Happily, I hung up the gerbil costume years ago so I could care less.

Agreed.

Months ago I told everyone Gw2 is in fact..complete horsedung. Got already bored to tears in the second beta. Now forums are full of people being bored at low levels, no motivation to login,...

Glad I didn't waste my money on this. A collection of pointless fetchquests wrapped up in an atrocious story.

I only wish TOR planets had similiar designs and size, but that's about it.

Imho the only title worth playing besides TOR is Secret World, that one is amazing and goes well together with my taste for great RPG storytelling and immersion. But Gw2 is a complete overhyped waste of time.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Same for me.

Played GW2 and didnt like it, very very pretty game, but the combat is boring and playing melee is pretty much a death sentence.

Movement controls are sloppy and the story is far far away from the fantastic stories is this game.

Also agree that The Secret world is quite good, though its combat system is horrid, but to me it didnt matter as much as I look at that game as a story based game rather than a combat based one.

Which strangely enough made me even more annoyed with GW2, I looked at it as a pvp/combat based game...

so to see the sloppy controls and spam fest 1 button auto attack + 4 abilites plus weapon swap and CD's and thats it = Dull to me.

Hot join pvp was a horrific disapointment, what a berserk spamfest, WvWvW was excellent in concept, but could not make up for the ****** combat.

TLDR, tried GW2 now back to SWOTR and loving it.

Imho the only title worth playing besides TOR is Secret World, that one is amazing and goes well together with my taste for great RPG storytelling and immersion.

I agree with you on that L_R. :) Though I keep a couple of others installed, for variety. Next to SWTOR though, TSW is the next best thing out there right now.

Edited by Andryah

GW2 was a huge disapointment. used to love GW1 and GW2 is nowhere near as good.

The combat is a huge step back from the original, plagued by horrible decisions meant to "revolutionize"the genre. It really ended up proving the genre is actually getting it right. No trinity = zergs all day.

No resources = auto-attack spam.

No endgame = nothing worthwhile doing

Its basically one boring,repetitive and uncohesive mess.

I am enjoying TOR more than GW2. I just subbed today after playing around with the trial over the weekend.

GW2 is too repetitive and I do not like the horizontal level progression. TOR also runs better on my computer and still looks nice.

It's opinion that I don't like it. But like it or not, there isn't much to do unless you like puzzles. No quests, no real gear progression, and a severe lack of character development and progression. You learn all the skills and abilities you need by level 20. The other 60 levels are filler content, as if it was an afterthought and a reminder of the hard cap from GW1.

Most people come up with the excuse that it's "not a traditional MMO. It's different, the gameplay style is different. Learn to play. You'll like it!" I usually just say you're right. It's not a traditional MMO. It's not an MMO at all.

I love the gear progression just as much as the next guy (Thats why I will always have a SWTOR sub), but GW2 is so refreshing with its lack of gear progression. I love that I can craft my endgame gear. The system allows you to run difficult content as a fresh 80. I of course will choose to then grind the dungeons for the pretty skins for my armor, but stat wise I am good to good to go as soon as I hit 80 and craft my gear box.

I love SWTOR, but the game is way too easy, the planets feel dead, and their is no sense of wonder like GW2. Plus GW2 is up there with the greats with SPVP. I think you should give GW another chance.

I love the gear progression just as much as the next guy (Thats why I will always have a SWTOR sub), but GW2 is so refreshing with its lack of gear progression. I love that I can craft my endgame gear. The system allows you to run difficult content as a fresh 80. I of course will choose to then grind the dungeons for the pretty skins for my armor, but stat wise I am good to good to go as soon as I hit 80 and craft my gear box.

I love SWTOR, but the game is way too easy, the planets feel dead, and their is no sense of wonder like GW2. Plus GW2 is up there with the greats with SPVP. I think you should give GW another chance.

I will give you crafting as the games most refreshing and strongest aspect. The robust economics and crafting make the game interesting. Unfortunately unless you were an artisan in SWG, I doubt the game will be as fun for people like me who enjoy the grind, traditional style leveling and gear.

GW2 was a huge disapointment. used to love GW1 and GW2 is nowhere near as good.

The combat is a huge step back from the original, plagued by horrible decisions meant to "revolutionize"the genre. It really ended up proving the genre is actually getting it right. No trinity = zergs all day.

No resources = auto-attack spam.

No endgame = nothing worthwhile doing

Its basically one boring,repetitive and uncohesive mess.

I liked GW1 too. I made it to lvl 20 in GW2 then got bored of it. My whole guild quitting was also one of the reasons I stopped playing it. 50 euros wasted.. oh well.

Your Opinion. I happen to like both games. I play both. GW2 is free month to month. I am playing it to relieve me of my TOR burnout. I am also waiting to see how the F2P deployment goes.

In other words.... your saying.. ladies and gentlemen "I am burnt out from playing Tor.

GW2 has a better auction house. I like that it has little RNG in the crafting system. I like the freedom to quick travel where you like (cash permitting). I don't like endgame gear progression. That said I prefer the overall experience of SWTOR more. The events system in GW2 is fun at first, but then you realise it's still Kill X Mobs or collect X items, it's just they don't tell you how many. At no point has GW2 made me play just to see my story unfold because frankly I don't care. SWTOR ruined levelling in other games for me because the stories are just so damn good.

Just in time for those of you that like vertical gear progression to get back on that ladder.

There are plenty of things to do in GW2 for those that want more than a gear treadmill ( in pvp or pve ).

Like jump puzzles and meaningless titles and trophies for exploring another equally meaningless world? Lore is paper thin BTW, added with the copied story aspect from SWTOR (anyone notice Miko and the Consular voice actors?), I simply think GW2 is boring, and a lot of people feel likewise. I am glad to be back.

First off, I have probably been playing this game since around a year before launch, in a myriad of beta rounds. I've been playing pretty much since launch as well, with the exception of this past month when I made the mistake of buying Guild Wars 2. I have to say, SWTOR is infinitely better, despite some of it's obvious flaws. The style and mechanics of Guild Wars make it more of a multiplayer game and less of an MMO. It's pretty much the same as the original, with less instancing. No quests, heart/jump puzzle/waypoint grinding and WvWvW Zergs where you can do nothing without a blob of people with you.

SWTOR is just a much more polished, and well designed game than Guild Wars 2, that relies on tried and tested MMORPG mechanics. This whole "re-invent the wheel" trend with MMO's is ultimately going to fizzle, and we will realize once again that quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items.

tl;dr? Tried GW2, hated it, glad to be back to SWTOR.

There are so many things wrong with this post, I'm not sure where to start.

First of all, your assertion that "quest hubs, grinding, and gear progression are what make an MMO, and MMO in the firstplace among other items," is way off base, because there have been many MMOs without these mechanics that were quite successful. Asheron's Call STILL has servers (12 years later), and is not designed around raids, which quite honestly ruined the whole genre IMO.

GW2 has plenty of quests, they're just not retarded ones that ask you to kill 35 rats and collect 10 rat tails.