[The eseless HM] Last boss its impossible with a gunslinger in the party

-If he takes cover he dies in the lightning

-If he dont takes cover and only run cant make a good damage and we wipe due to the boss enrage time

we wiped like 20 times yesterday doing it with a commando + gunslinger dps combination and the best try we left him with 15% life or so... at the end the gunslinger gived up and left the party because of the so many wipes, then we invited a jedi sentinel and we killd the boss in the 2º try ( first try at 2% or so )... so is that that way? some boses in hard mode are just not viable for some classes?

-If he dont takes cover and only run cant make a good damage and we wipe due to the boss enrage time

we wiped like 20 times yesterday doing it with a commando + gunslinger dps combination and the best try we left him with 15% life or so... at the end the gunslinger gived up and left the party because of the so many wipes, then we invited a jedi sentinel and we killd the boss in the 2º try ( first try at 2% or so )... so is that that way? some boses in hard mode are just not viable for some classes?

there is no mechanic that prevents you from moving out of the lightning, even while in cover

killed him 1st try yesterday as a gunslinger without ever getting hit or f*cking up my dps

Edited by Rea-

we succeeded on the third try or so with a gunslinger. we essentially banned him from using cover. he grumbled about it but it worked. your other people need to be geared enough to help with the dps though, obviously Edited by Paull

This isn't a problem with the class - its a problem with the group of players. The last boss is not the hardest boss in Esseles - it sounds to me like you had an individual or a group of individuals who didn't know how to play their classes.

I've played through Esseles on several occasions with many different characters and group mates - I've never wiped at the final boss. One time I ran with 2 Gunslingers, a Commando and a Guardian. Everything went fine.

Cover doesn't make you invincible, and if you are too troubled to move out of the lightning space once in a while - you're playing the wrong class.

You say it like there's nothing between either sticking in one cover forever or never using cover and running forever.

A good gunslinger would take cover and shoot but run when targeted by lighting or the boss, once the tank has aggro back he can drop back into cover and continue to damage.

• 2 months later...

Lol, we had a Commando and Gunslinger for DPS too (I was the Commando.) and the Gunslinger gave it up too and left the party, but at my party it was different, the whole party left afterwards. But the stories are still similar.

And the boss was too hard..

I had a lot of problems on my gunslinger as well. I am not sure if it is lag, or perhaps a broken game mechanic.

About 3/4 times I would see the purple circle on the floor and I would move, and everything would be ok. Sometimes I would be 10 meters out of the circle and get killed by the lightning. Even my group said that I was totally clear of the circle.

One thing that did not help is that we did not have a Consular in the group to help mitigate elemental damage, but I still think something is a bit broken in there. :/

Umm...

Take cover and do max burst dmg without worrying about energy because you will be moving soon, move and spam basic attack while energy builds, rinse and repeat.

This is a very basic tactic required for sniper/gs. It is a must for later content. If you can't do it you need to re-roll something else.

Edit: that is a little harsh considering you're only at the first FP. But this is one of the first times you need to start thinking about fight mechanics and your own advantages/limitations.

Recognizing when the fight mechanics give you free recharge time and you can unload without worrying about energy management and having a "screw energy" max burst combo is important for sniper/gs.

Edited by jmdatcs

There is a half second delay when exiting cover, it's definitely noticeable if you play other classes. On that fight I intentionally drop into cover, fire a couple shots, then move and repeat, over and over again.

I experienced the same thing, may be out of the circle but still get hit. Same thing happens on Jarg and Sorno in KP, that little bit of delay is just enough to get you hit most of the time.

First off lets go over the facts:

1.) The AoE lightning is "buggy" and often will hit you even if you're 8m or more away from the AoE when it hits.

2.) The sabers can be cheap and doube hit you.

3.) the tank has it VERY easy in this fight

------------------------------------------------------------

With that kept in mind, the way I handle this fight is using the tank's protection to guard one of the dps's. If theres a gunslinger/sniper in the group he gets protection and fights near enough to the tank to keep it on him he NEVER moves he lets the lightning hit him.

The healer never stops running unless to cast a heal - and when a team mate is being targeted the healer may stop for extra long since the healer won't be targeted for the next few seconds.

The other dps must keep mobile with stops to fire off induction skills when needed. Even a trooper firing off grav rounds can keep mobile.

Over all the tank is going to be taking higher damage since hes absorbing the lightning from when ever the gunslinger or w/e 2nd dps you bring takes damage.

Over all this makes the tank the main target to heal with the 2 dps being minor heals only.

Not to be harsh, but there are zero flashpoints / heroics in the game that cannot be done because of one player playing one class (please understand this has nothing to do with roles, spec, skill, or gear which can obviously affect the outcome). Sure maybe they are harder, but not impossible.

The issue is with the tactics used.

Some suggestions:

Move more often

DOT the boss more

Take advantage of medpacks

Use a stim

Focus on burst damage instead of continuous so you can move

Target the adds first

Use a charge up attack to initiate combat

Etc.

Jump.

To elaborate: When the purple comes, hit the spacebar. It's super-duper-buggy otherwise. On one of our first attempts, our healer moved virtually non-stop and was still getting hit by it (once while using force-speed when it showed up too!).

If you jump when you see it, it won't hurt. The GS might be a bit slow when it comes to moving out of the purple, but they do have enough time to simply jump.

---

As to the gunslinger issue, it's not one of the more ideal fights for them to be sure, though anything that forces them to move quickly tends to put them at something of a disadvantage.

That said, we always had a gunslinger in the party when we did it except when we've 3-manned it (and recently 2-manned it) with companions (in a mix of pvp & Columi gear mind you).

I had a lot of problems on my gunslinger as well. I am not sure if it is lag, or perhaps a broken game mechanic.

About 3/4 times I would see the purple circle on the floor and I would move, and everything would be ok. Sometimes I would be 10 meters out of the circle and get killed by the lightning. Even my group said that I was totally clear of the circle.

One thing that did not help is that we did not have a Consular in the group to help mitigate elemental damage, but I still think something is a bit broken in there. :/

This happens to me a lot. You have to move the instant you see it to avoid the aoe. It goes betond the purple marker. Ive beaten him twice as a Gunslinger. Its just hard

Lalala the first hardmode I ever did was Esseles, 1 shot it all the way through. I am a gunslinger I was moving at least every 6 seconds regardless if I was target by lightning. Obviously I was quick to move if I was targeted. Maybe impossible with SOME gunslingers. this is a l2p issue not a class issue.

idk about esseles but i tried black talon hard mode and the first group of enemies killed the entire group before we could react

Yeah because your group was most likely concentrating on the gold while the 3 silvers kicked your tail.

Have teh tank stay on the gold and DPS the silvers down as fast as possible. The tank may need to use a CD or 2 but no one should die with a competent tank. As a juggs I use my aoe taunt to start and then the fear. Having done this so often I keep a taunt on up on the gold and DPS one silver down watching the heals so he doesn't get blasted.

First off lets go over the facts:

1.) The AoE lightning is "buggy" and often will hit you even if you're 8m or more away from the AoE when it hits.

2.) The sabers can be cheap and doube hit you.

3.) the tank has it VERY easy in this fight

With that kept in mind, the way I handle this fight is using the tank's protection to guard one of the dps's. If theres a gunslinger/sniper in the group he gets protection and fights near enough to the tank to keep it on him he NEVER moves he lets the lightning hit him.

The healer never stops running unless to cast a heal - and when a team mate is being targeted the healer may stop for extra long since the healer won't be targeted for the next few seconds.

The other dps must keep mobile with stops to fire off induction skills when needed. Even a trooper firing off grav rounds can keep mobile.

Over all the tank is going to be taking higher damage since hes absorbing the lightning from when ever the gunslinger or w/e 2nd dps you bring takes damage.

Over all this makes the tank the main target to heal with the 2 dps being minor heals only.

Guard does not work how you think it works ....

Guard reduces threat by 25% and Damage by 5% in PvE. There is NO damage to the tank in PvE, Guard only transfers damage in the PvP setting.

I'm guessing you dont play a tank, or dont read tooltips. If your tank is telling you they will *take damage* for someone .. get a new tank IMO.

Standing in the lightning because you have *guard* is a good way to die ....